Quiet Exhaust

Thanks.

What about something like Grace Vycor Butyl instead of the asphalt-backed stuff? I don't remember Vycor having an asphalt odor... sort of plastic, chemical smell, but I've never put in inside a car. Maybe buy a couple of rolls and put them in the back seat... but would have to wait until May to get good data. :lol:

Right, I did this to the trunk of my civic in late 2007, not pleased with the results... the heat makes the asphalt run & whatnot

Not sure what heat you got in the trunk that my hatch isn't getting (plus the X-pipe & dual 2.5" exhaust being 3/4" from the unibody), but mine was installed last summer and being parked in the sun ALL day, EVERY day did nothing... no runs, no drips, no smell :confused:

What about something like Grace Vycor Butyl instead of the asphalt-backed stuff?

UJO (uglyjeepoffroad) swore by Grace Ice Shield when he was building comp sound cars...

Not sure what heat you got in the trunk that my hatch isn't getting (plus the X-pipe & dual 2.5" exhaust being 3/4" from the unibody), but mine was installed last summer and being parked in the sun ALL day, EVERY day did nothing... no runs, no drips, no smell :confused:
I doubt it would be enough to "drip" but heat does generally cause it to fall from vertical surfaces or from the roof if you applied it overhead. It is fine for floor surfaces as long as the smell doesn't bother you, although it should go away eventually.

And for comparison (IIRC, both Quick Roof and Peel&Seal are made by the same company)...

ai595.photobucket.com_albums_tt34_CaverDave_1991_20Mustang_20GT_20Project_50522ef0.jpg

ai595.photobucket.com_albums_tt34_CaverDave_1991_20Mustang_20GT_20Project_905f70bd.jpg

Dave, do you remember what brand that is?

Grace Ice & Water Shield is a polyethylene backer with a rubberized asphalt adhesive. It's a little harder to find around here, and would probably be more likely to off-gas asphalt/rubber odors based on its composition.

Also, been reading up on turn-down tips. The jury is still out, apparently. Sounds like they'll do a nice job of keeping soot off your trailer if they're pointed down, but you may get more reflected noise back into the cab, depending on exactly where the tip is pointed (like straight down at the ground, bouncing off the road surface, etc).

I may still experiment with one... would be good for keeping the trailer clean, if nothing else.

Dave, do you remember what brand that is?

Mines all 100% "Peel & Seal" from Cofair purchased at sLowes for around $17/25' roll. A bud in Atlanta used the larger (cheaper per sq/ft) rolls, but I liked the "ease" of the 6" wide. Single layer with 1/4"-1/2" overlap and double layered on the tranny hump...

Planning to finish out the interior (remaining vertical & overhead surfaces) once it warms up, but it will all be "held" against the sheetmetal using but the factory "dryer lint" padding & mylar coated "bubblewrap" under the factory interior panels/headliner...

Rich, did you do the floor and rear wall? Floor, rear wall and doors? Floor only? I remember seeing pictures of the floor, but don't remember how much further you went with it.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I did the whole cab & doors, minus pulling the dash. Most of it was (at least) doubled up to get the thickness of the name-brand stuff, but was still cheaper, and I think it was from Lowe's. Maybe Home Depot.. Mine was NOT asphalt-based, it was bitububu rubber with a foil backing, which can and will cut the living shit out of your fingers. Went on really easily, and didn't fall off.

Back