Quick question about Deans Plugs

on my crawler, and all the others i know of the female side is on the battery and and male side on my esc....dont know why but thats how it is haha, dont see any reason why you couldnt change them around.

on my crawler, and all the others i know of the female side is on the battery and and male side on my esc....dont know why but thats how it is haha, dont see any reason why you couldnt change them around.
BIG no no....why???? Because if you throw a battery down with the male end on the battery it could short... imange something as simple as an allen wrench touching the male end on the battery that is always live....

BIG no no....why???? Because if you throw a battery down with the male end on the battery it could short... imange something as simple as an allen wrench touching the male end on the battery that is always live....
hmm good thought, didnt even think about that!....i guess there is a reason why things are the way they are haha

That's why I like the Tamiya connectors. Nothing exposed and they "click" together.

That's why I like the Tamiya connectors. Nothing exposed and they "click" together.

Tamiya connectors are trash. They are actually fire hazards too. They restrict a fair amount of current as well, you'll get more power and run time out of your batteries with Deans.

That said, female side should ALWAYS be on your batteries. Like snappy said, very easy to short out the male side and ruin your batteries. Pro Tip - When soldering your deans plugs on, plug a pair together. Prevents the plugs from possibly melting out of shape with heat from the soldering iron. Oh, and remember to apply heat shrink BEFORE you solder the plugs on...ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Tamiya connectors are trash. They are actually fire hazards too. They restrict a fair amount of current as well, you'll get more power and run time out of your batteries with Deans.

That said, female side should ALWAYS be on your batteries. Like snappy said, very easy to short out the male side and ruin your batteries. Pro Tip - When soldering your deans plugs on, plug a pair together. Prevents the plugs from possibly melting out of shape with heat from the soldering iron. Oh, and remember to apply heat shrink BEFORE you solder the plugs on...ask me how I know :rolleyes:
I know about the fire hazard part.
:(
Almost lost my first "real" rc truck due to them coming loose, sparking, and over heating. Somehow the fire melted/broke the wire, and momentum carried the truck away from the burning piece of plug wire. Only a little damage to the lexan body.
Deans, xr60, the big bullet connectors, any of those are "high amp" connectors that work.

I have always ran Tamiya, I get 45 minutes crawl time in my Wraith using NICAD batteries. I've never had a issue with mine.

Back