Questions about buying a new Dodge

poncho-mike

I'm looking at new trucks, and focusing on an 05 or 06 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins turbo diesel. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this purchase.

I have a number of older muscle cars, and my 3/4 ton big block Suburbans are killing me on gas. I have a buddy who has an 05 Dodge 2500 Quad cab with some modifications, and he's consistently getting 19 - 20 mpg. I didn't believe it at first, but I spent an afternoon driving and riding around with him.

I went today to look at the new Dodges. We drove one around, but the onboard computer showed it averaging only 15 mpg in the same type of traffic and driving.

So here's the questions:

1) What modifications are needed to the tranny to make it reliably tow a 8000 - 9000 lb load? The salesman was telling me that the truck was rated to haul much more than that. Can I tow a 8 - 9K lb load over flat roads in overdrive?

2) What gear would you recommend? The standard is a 3.73, with the 4.10 being an option. I'll probably go to a larger tire once I wear out the ones on it. I estimate that I'll be towing with it only about 10 - 20% of the time.

3) Any thoughts on the benefits or reliability of the shift on the fly transfer case? Are they more reliable, less reliable? It seems to me that engaging the transfer case while under load could be tricky.

4) The dealer I spoke with today is basically taking about $7500 off sticker. Is that ballpark with the current employee pricing and rebates?

For those of you who already have these trucks, are there any options you wish you had gotten? What would you change if you could.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

well. i've got an 04.5. Same as an 05 for the most part. Maybe some very slight tranny differences.
overall i love the truck. Fuel mileage is not great 17-19 unloaded, about 15 towing the buggy.
As far as options, auto is really pretty good. put a temp gauge in it, save up for a tc/valve body (my next upgrade) Get the darkest interior you can, alu wheels, TOW MIRRORS.
as far as gears, mines the 3;73. now its on 315 bfg's I love it on the interstate unloaded, tow haul is now great around town. find out how it tows in the morning. Mine has the bddl, bhaf, replaced muffler with a flow pro.
hope this helps. dave

I have an '06, 6spd, quad cab, 4x4 3.73, bought it in Feb or somewhere around there (i just turned 8k). Filled up yesterday, calculated 18.7 (overhead read 16.2). Didn't do any towing, just around town and a little bit of highway miles. I haven't done any mods - and I'm going to try not to. Once you do one thing, you need to do something else, and something else.
1 - went with manual transmission - it seems that no one can build a auto to stick behind a diesel
2 - I'm glad I don't have 4.10's - I just wish it had a 7th gear.
3 - I went with the manual transfer case - I've heard some horror stories on the shift on the fly (diesel truck forum) - sure their just stories, but manual is cheaper anyway (if I remember right).
4 - I stopped by a Dodge dealer the other day just to see if I should have waited and saved some $$. When I bought mine, the truck stickered at $40,615 (including $500 discount for Thunder Road Value Group - but mine doesn't have the badging - I guess that's another story) - I ended up buying it for right around $30k (with the rebate) - before trade in.
I think you're right to get one now - I think people who wait until an '07 are going to be disappointed. Once again, just my opinion.

I have an 06 2500. I bought it Christmas Eve day last year. It is a four door, long bed, six speed, 3.73 gears. It turned over 11000 miles last weekend, (about 295 hours runtime). It is overall the best truck I have ever owned. My truck will get about 17 miles to a gallon of diesel, but I have a tendancy to drive hard. The truck could have used 3.55 gears in my opinion. My tuck turns about 22 or 23 hundred rpm at 70 mph. My brother has an 02 with 3.55 gears and his turns about 1900 rpm at 70 mph. My truck will blister his to about 95 mph, then he gets me as my truck is very gear bound compared to his

My truck has a manual transfer case but it will shift on the fly as long as you are not traveling to fast. I use four wheel drive everyday to go up my gravel driveway. I usually hit the bottom at about 5 to 10 mph in second, let off the fuel and pull the lever. It always shifts fine for me.

The dealer came down about 11K from the window sticker, which ended up about 33K before I had to pay the damn taxes.

WP

poncho-mike said:
I'm looking at new trucks, and focusing on an 05 or 06 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins turbo diesel. Mike

Get one now not the 07 its a Killer truck.

poncho-mike said:
1) What modifications are needed to the tranny to make it reliably tow a 8000 - 9000 lb load Mike
Nothing it will do anything you want and leave it stock inless you have the money to pay for fixes. new moter is 10-15K in a fluke my 96 head bolts broke one day at 98K+- something like that and took it to Dodge looked over the motor and said you didn't play with this any so YOU my friend get a free motor. If YOU play YOU must PAY.

poncho-mike said:
2) What gear would you recommend? The standard is a 3.73, with the 4.10 being an option. I'll probably go to a larger tire.Mike
I like the 3.73 with the 6 speed if I got an auto I would have maybe got the 4.10 to help in the mountains some. Stay stock tire, I have not found a good E rated tire that is good for towing. Going to a big tire has also been killing Ball joints and then u joints if you check the CTD sites you will see its common but more so with lift and large tires. Remember If YOU play YOU must PAY. bigger tires kill stuff its on you.

poncho-mike said:
3) Any thoughts on the benefits or reliability of the shift on the fly transfer case? Are they more reliable, less reliable? Mike
I like something you can pull on to put in gear. Out west on a trip in the Cold some push buttons did not work and mine did fine something about the ice and snow build up and it comes out every time you turn the truck on and off.Maybe someone with it knows more about it but I would not get it.

poncho-mike said:
4) The dealer I spoke with today is basically taking about $7500 off sticker. Is that ballpark with the current employee pricing and rebates?
For those of you who already have these trucks, are there any options you wish you had gotten? What would you change if you could.
Mike
I got 10k to 11K off mine in 03 check the sites and don't be afraid to fly to get it if it saves money. Check out web sites for CTD and http://www.dieseltruckresource.com

03 Ram 2500 Four Door, Long Bed, Light Almond, HO 6 Speed, 4x4, SLT, 3:73, LS, AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, SRT-10 Mopar A-pillar, Isspro 0-30 psi boost gauge, premium cloth 8 way power seats, tow package and fold out power heated tow mirrors, fold flat floor, under seat storage front and rear, keyless entry, fenderwell liners, SS nerf bars, Hidden Hitch front reciever, body side mouldings, Mopar mud flaps, Mopar Locking Gas Cap, Fog Lights, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Box, Rancho RS 9000x shocks, Rancho RS 5000 steering stabilizer, GPS, VHF, CB, 800 Watt Power Inverter, Glasstite Raven High Rise Top, Warn 8000 Winch in reciever mount, and most of the bells and whistles(MORE TO COME)
I would not change a thing.
Jon

Back