Question on trailer size, need guidance

Thanks everyone. Not sure what my comfort level is. I’ve hauled boats behind a no power steering old bread truck (for a rescue team) and behind a pickup. However they were shorter. Guess when I go up I’ll hook it up and see how I feel about it. It was maintained and was not abused. I would likely clean it up and keep it unless it is too much then I may trade off or sell. I am concerned a bit about the ride empty because I’d have to pull it back that way. 1000 miles. I’ll put up with it for free though. :D

Thanks again to everyone.
Drop the tire pressure to about 35-40lbs and it will be decent. I pulled an empty 12k trailer 7hrs from NC to Ohio to buy a car, only to find out it was absolutely NOT what the seller said, and had to drag that trailer home bouncing and rattling back for 7 LONG hrs :kaioken:

According to @Chris_Keziah I'm a baller with my 17.5s. Also, I feel like one too :D

With the absolutely ridiculous price of trailers I have considered selling mine. It'd probably sell faster than my other truck would, but then I'd need it.

That said...who needs a 2018 Kaufman, 26 ft goose with 17.5s?!

Also, can confirm that @jeepinmatt married up!

According to @Chris_Keziah I'm a baller with my 17.5s. Also, I feel like one too :D

With the absolutely ridiculous price of trailers I have considered selling mine. It'd probably sell faster than my other truck would, but then I'd need it.

That said...who needs a 2018 Kaufman, 26 ft goose with 17.5s?!

Also, can confirm that @jeepinmatt married up!

Like everything else right now, you'll overpay for its replacement. And wait months to get it. A trailer is one of those things I'd rather have and not need, than need and not have.

Duane

Like everything else right now, you'll overpay for its replacement. And wait months to get it. A trailer is one of those things I'd rather have and not need, than need and not have.

Duane

Absolutely the truth
I bought my 20' Carry On 10K equipment trailer in Dec of 2019, wasn't exactly what I wanted but it works for almost everything I need to do, and I am so glad I went with a 20 footer instead of an 18 foot like the salesman wanted to sell me. Aside from the flip up ramps, I love it.
I thought about replacing is with a 22 foot PJ steel deck equipment trailer with a dovetail, until I saw how long the wait is and how much the prices have gone up. So I'll do some welding and swap some parts and make this trailer better

I have a 16’ car hauler with slide in ramps and wish I had a a 20’ with flip up ramps. But really a 24’ goose would be ideal.

Duane

Oh, I'm well aware. That's why it's not for sale.

I have a 22' trailer, with a 5' tongue, instead of a standard 4' tongue. One of the custom features I had built into it. The other features I had done, were extra tie down points, extended the bed to same width as the outside of my fenders, 8 lug 7200 pound axles, brakes on both, My tral rig is heavy, around 6K, but with the addition to two truck tool boxes for camping stuff and tools and spares, also has a 9K winch, a battery, a 15 gallon fuel cell, a place to put my Honda 3000 IS generator, and a step to slide into the receiver hitch to get up into my truck/camper. Without all the add ons, I wanted a longer trailer so I would have room for anything longer and/or heavier. I found out long ago, that just because it "fits" on the trailer, doesn't mean you have the weight distributed right. A longer trailer allows you to situate a longer vehicle so that it doesn't over or under weigh the tongue weight. I say get it, clean it up and paint it. Go ahead and plan on re-wiring it. One thing I have found consistent to most all trailers is that the wiring is done on the cheap and most often by someone who doesn't know how to wire anything. Check out the brakes, and most likely replace the tires. I am still running the trailer tires that come on mine, but when I replace them, I will use the Firestone transforce tires. I had a local trail;er builder to make mine. 3 years ago I ordered it and had it in 4 days, not sure how long is lead time is now. T&W trailers.

I'd take the ramps off of it and rock out.

Assume the wiring is garbage and that the tires, brakes, and wood deck will need replaced sooner or later. Touch up the paint as you can now, but plan on trying to blast and respray it when the deck is off.

There's a reason the 10k/6-lug trailers are sold and registered at 9990 #. Just sayin'.

I'd sell it and get a 10k.

And, like boats, trailers are never too big, just sometimes too small.

There's a reason the 10k/6-lug trailers are sold and registered at 9990 #. Just sayin'.

I'd sell it and get a 10k.

And, like boats, trailers are never too big, just sometimes too small.
Enlighten me. I don’t follow why, but then again I’m new to bigger trailers. What would that reason be?

Thanks.

Enlighten me. I don’t follow why, but then again I’m new to bigger trailers. What would that reason be?

Thanks.
Some licenses restrict trailers to 10k or less (I used to have a B, and it was under 26k, towing less than 10,001). I think regular class C used to be limited to 10k trailer, but now it's anything under 26k combined. And that's gross wt. on the stickers, not actual.

Top max GVWR of a 2022 F250 is 12,400....hook up a 14k trailer, and you are over 26k gross combined,

Some licenses restrict trailers to 10k or less (I used to have a B, and it was under 26k, towing less than 10,001). I think regular class C used to be limited to 10k trailer, but now it's anything under 26k combined. And that's gross wt. on the stickers, not actual.

Top max GVWR of a 2022 F250 is 12,400....hook up a 14k trailer, and you are over 26k gross combined,
Think I am good in this regard. Truck GVWR is like 9200. So that would put me safely under that limit. Thank you for giving me more to consider though. Always prefer more information than less. I will check on license limitations though.

This leads to another question albeit probably ignorant…will I need to stop at weigh stations? Loaded or unloaded? I’m thinking no since I’m not commercial but unsure.

Thanks again everyone! Hope everyone is having A great holiday!

Think I am good in this regard. Truck GVWR is like 9200. So that would put me safely under that limit. Thank you for giving me more to consider though. Always prefer more information than less. I will check on license limitations though.

This leads to another question albeit probably ignorant…will I need to stop at weigh stations? Loaded or unloaded? I’m thinking no since I’m not commercial but unsure.

Thanks again everyone! Hope everyone is having A great holiday!
You may have some differing replies, but I’ve towed rigs across country half a dozen times and never had to stop at a one. Goosenecks to my 38’ bumperpull it never was a problem. One of the guys we went with last time pulled into a weigh station, DOT man said “can I help you?”, it said trucks must weigh, “are you a commercial enterprise?” No.. “then get the hell outta here”. Your experience may vary.

On another note I’ve got a SC Non-commercial, Class F license and my truck is tagged at 43,000 GCWR. Once you step over 26k I was hit with a heavy road use fee of around $1200.00 and then normal tag fees after that.

Good luck.

-H

Last edited:
You may have some differing replies, but I’ve towed rigs across country half a dozen times and never had to stop at a one. Goosenecks to my 38’ bumperpull it never was a problem. One of the guys we went with last time pulled into a weigh station, DOT man said “can I help you?”, it said trucks must weigh, “are you a commercial enterprise?” No.. “then get the hell outta here”. Your experience may vary.

On another note I’ve got a SC Non-commercial, Class F license and my tuck is tagged at 43,000 GCWR. Once you step over 26k I was hit with a heavy road use fee of around $1200.00 and then normal tag fees after that.

Good luck.

-H
Thank you for your response. I think I am good on the weigh stations from what I could dig up online but you lead me to another shock I had. The cost to register said vehicles. I’ve just seen the weighted tag prices. I’m not looking to shell out a butt load of cash every year. What weight should I register at to be safe for pulling a semi built wrangler or cherokee? The 03 duramax Silverado weighs approx 5600lbs and the jeep? But I would guess 5k, never weighed it. I don’t know the weight on the 18ft equipment trailer but from looking at others it’s probably near 3500. I’m 99% sure I’m not going to haul anything more than the Jeep so I don’t want to register too much heavier due to NC’s dumb weighted tag costs.
Any advice from those that have btdt? I would appreciate it. I’m new to the big trailers. Thank you all so much.

Thank you for your response. I think I am good on the weigh stations from what I could dig up online but you lead me to another shock I had. The cost to register said vehicles. I’ve just seen the weighted tag prices. I’m not looking to shell out a butt load of cash every year. What weight should I register at to be safe for pulling a semi built wrangler or cherokee? The 03 duramax Silverado weighs approx 5600lbs and the jeep? But I would guess 5k, never weighed it. I don’t know the weight on the 18ft equipment trailer but from looking at others it’s probably near 3500. I’m 99% sure I’m not going to haul anything more than the Jeep so I don’t want to register too much heavier due to NC’s dumb weighted tag costs.
Any advice from those that have btdt? I would appreciate it. I’m new to the big trailers. Thank you all so much.
Somewhere around here there is a thread about weighted tags, and I seem to recall 13k being a good value point. That would probably be insufficient for your setup, but close enough they wouldn't harass you about it. Weight on jeep and trailer sound about right, but I would bet your truck is closer to 7k.

Somewhere around here there is a thread about weighted tags, and I seem to recall 13k being a good value point. That would probably be insufficient for your setup, but close enough they wouldn't harass you about it. Weight on jeep and trailer sound about right, but I would bet your truck is closer to 7k.
I actually saw that and is what got me thinking about this. Lol hadn’t even considered it before. I got the truck weight from edmunds since the truck is sitting with the trailer in the Midwest so I can’t just go look at the sticker. I thought it sounded low. I’ll see if I can get a picture of that sent to me soon. Thank you!

I just have a real tough time swallowing the price for towing this thing a few times a year. I’d be okay with the cost if I was towing weekly or daily. For occasionally though it is ludicrous.

I actually saw that and is what got me thinking about this. Lol hadn’t even considered it before. I got the truck weight from edmunds since the truck is sitting with the trailer in the Midwest so I can’t just go look at the sticker. I thought it sounded low. I’ll see if I can get a picture of that sent to me soon. Thank you!
Usually they list the base model weights, so probably a 2wd regcab gasser, or maybe 4wd. Once you add diesel, bigger cab, and 4wd, that number goes up quite a bit.

I’m not going to doubt you. Was just going off what I had found online. Will find out for sure later this week when I can get a pic sent.

@jeepinmatt broke it down pretty good in the other thread, and tag prices have gone up since then. I have a different tow rig now, but my comments then came to fruition anyway. I run a 13k tag, and I look at it from the POV that the ticket will probably be cheaper than the price difference of the tag. The more years I get away with it, the better the deal works in my favor.

Duane

Last edited:
FWIW, back in stock form...before the solid axle and the 62 gallon S&B fuel tank, my 02 CCSB Duramax weighed 6800 lbs. This is a 4wd LT trim, power/heated, leather. 01-07 classics will be about the same. 07.5+ trucks got heavier.

I'd figure yours is likely 6400-6600 lbs, depending on how much stuff you have in it and if you have a toolbox, etc.

Mine now weighs around 7400 lbs when fueled up. Hell, even my 99 RCLB 1500 weighs 6000 lbs, but does have a Dana 60 and AAM 11.5 under it.

Back