Project Steampunk Vol.2

I have always heard that Prime Rib is the dinner of choice for Easter (although the significance escapes me) but snake is an interesting spin on tradition.

P.S. they do taste good over coals.

I have always heard that Prime Rib is the dinner of choice for Easter (although the significance escapes me) but snake is an interesting spin on tradition.

P.S. they do taste good over coals.
I'm not sure the exact significance of ribs either, and I probably should.
Ah man, that's a cool snake. It's one of those that I woulda walked into a Convenient store with wrapped around my neck, that is, if there was one within 12 miles of there.

As non traditional as it may be, we had venison as the main course. No complaints from me AT ALL. :D

3DD4961E-6DF8-4192-BA82-7046D03A003D.jpeg

Here's some miscellaneous things I've done lately, aside from drive the wheels off of it.

Ordered new replacement TRE boots from Barnes. The original ones were leaking from dry rot. Simple uneventful swap.

Got a package from Tim Diekmann of Liquid Iron Industries. The slider boxes I purchased 5 years ago have been fantastic. I accredit much of my excellent ride quality and handling, not to mention low stance to these babies. The UHMW slider pucks were finally starting to wear, so bought a brand new set.
IMG_20210408_184948748.jpg

Aside from that, I also replaced the 7/8x7/8 Ruff stuff Heims on my uppers with Barnes 7/8x7/8s, as I felt was needed. I hate squeaks.

Also, as I'm replacing my upper rear links, I checked for 4wheel geometric squareness and got a pleasant surprise.... Exactly like it was when I built the Jeep years ago. Pulling a tight line from the lower ball joint zerk fittings caddy corner to the lower rear caliper bolts.
IMG_20210328_110614805.jpg

IMG_20210328_110651647_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210328_110530414_HDR.jpg

And in this scene we have a piece of greasy fried chicken.
IMG_20210403_104952381_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20210418_211215657.jpg

The season is upon us. Make ready for after work fishing trips and full weekends of fun. It doesn't take much to keep the Jeep going. I had a small issue with transmission chatter that was easily enough addressed with a fluid change. Switched from bullshit GL5 to full synthetic 75-90wt. It took a total of 2 hrs to diagnose and solve the issue.
IMG_20210418_101532868.jpg

In between hanging out with a fellow wild life member, DC, who's been a transmission mechanic since he was old enough to work. It'll be a while before I get my boating privelages back. No worries, my brother DC just financed a 1546 V-hull AlumaWeld with a 40 Tihatsu tiller. I'll never miss a beat living the river life. The bloodline runs deep.
On the way to a monster truck show and Upchurch concert down in Orangeburg, going to meet up with some Inabinets, and hoping no Orangeburg county cops recognize me. I'm just chilling in the back of an F150 with a truckload of crazy honkies.
DC:
IMG_20210417_185116096.jpg

The fishing has been great, hence my motivation to spend the next few afternoons on the water.

There's still a good amount of work to do to the old bar and few more brothers of mine to meet up with. Then it's working on a CJ7. And then some Gulches. Never stop having fun.

Last edited:
Well, I guess it's time to drop an update on this jalopy. Where were we?
Oh, yeah.
I actually haven't done much of anything to it. It hasn't needed anything more than a 5 minute fluids check between my daily drives and weekend road trips. About the only thing worth noting from a constructive standpoint is a new switch panel for the headlights and cabin accessories. For multiple days out riding back roads and crashing where I please, I was in bad need of a way to keep my phone and portable Bluetooth speaker charged. Done.
IMG_20210606_205303056.jpg

While on topic of back roads...
Of all the vehicles I've had, bought, sold, traded and built, never have I owned one as much fun as this one. I've always been dirt poor and easily entertained, so there's that. Every day is spent either driving to and from a job I absolutely love or taking action packed adventures making new friends, helping out old ones, all night parties on the river and even waking up in a buddies driveway surrounded by chickens. Kayak, camping gear and fishing rods stay loaded most of the time. Driving around for hours in the pouring rain or on a beautiful sunny day is all in the same. Pick a random direction and send it. There's no shortage of awesome people and fun times. Sunburned, cut up, bruised, bloody and hungover is just part of living the wild life.
IMG_20210508_160418955_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210611_195422881.jpg

IMG_20210613_185828144.jpg

IMG_20210613_163456074.jpg

IMG_20210613_173858927.jpg

IMG_20210612_135427584_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210612_155622950.jpg

So it's come down to this: a lot of the future modifications I plan on making are a little more involved and timely than what I have time for on any given afternoon or weekend. Sacrificing a weekend is out of the question. I'm playing with the idea of purchasing a cheap beater car or truck to get to and from work in while I work on the Jeep. A motorcycle is another consideration. I'm slowly working towards getting back on the trails hard again like I used to.

Just pulled an $1100 trigger on a 2002 Silverado 4x4 4 door long bed that needs battery and tires. May need (at worst) a transmission freshen up, but I got my buddy DC that's a wizard when it comes to transmissions. It's at around 150k. My next door neighbor Grandma Sherry who's a retired school teacher just wants it out of her yard. I'm also throwing in a whole year of free lawn service as my token of appreciation, just because. I'll get pics this afternoon.

Just pulled an $1100 trigger on a 2002 Silverado 4x4 4 door long bed that needs battery and tires. May need (at worst) a transmission freshen up, but I got my buddy DC that's a wizard when it comes to transmissions. It's at around 150k. My next door neighbor Grandma Sherry who's a retired school teacher just wants it out of her yard. I'm also throwing in a whole year of free lawn service as my token of appreciation, just because. I'll get pics this afternoon.

That’s a steal!

I want you to know that I enjoyed your posts when I was here before and I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. You have a writing style that compliments your lifestyle. It’s rare to see anyone who just “is” without any bullspit in this age of filters and lies. It is a rare quality, being honest in the way you present yourself to the world and it is very refreshing.

I’ll leave some Mongolian rock for ya.

I want you to know that I enjoyed your posts when I was here before and I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. You have a writing style that compliments your lifestyle. It’s rare to see anyone who just “is” without any bullspit in this age of filters and lies. It is a rare quality, being honest in the way you present yourself to the world and it is very refreshing.

I’ll leave some Mongolian rock for ya.

Thank you sir! It's too hard trying to be someone I'm not, so I just stick to being myself.
Mongolian rock is awesome 😎

Get that tow rig on the road and I’ll personally plan a trip around your availability and sponsor your first 12 beers.
That is a consideration is perhaps towing with it. Eventually. Straight outta the box it'd work ok. For the first semester or so I'll just throw a small lift and some 285 load E MTs on it knock the 3 years of sitting dust off of it. The kayaking scene I've gotten into lately is getting HUGE. All my buddies in the upstate are venturing out every weekend and here recently we had one guy driving 3+ hours all the way from the mountains in Georgia to meet up with us for the day. This truck will carry 5 and 5 easily.

I daily drive a Silverado exactly like this one.
Towed a lot with it too before I bought my HD truck.

It just needs a trucool 40k trans cooler and a monitoring of the trans temps to keep it happy under load and you'll be fine. Just won't win any races with it. Do not put 285s on it that's what kills the overal ratio, makes it a dog and burn 4L60s up. Keep it on stock tires for a happy life.

The price was a steal, but you're a class act for including lawn care for the elderly. Massive props to you.

Thanks for posting.

I daily drive a Silverado exactly like this one.
Towed a lot with it too before I bought my HD truck.

It just needs a trucool 40k trans cooler and a monitoring of the trans temps to keep it happy under load and you'll be fine. Just won't win any races with it. Do not put 285s on it that's what kills the overal ratio, makes it a dog and burn 4L60s up. Keep it on stock tires for a happy life.

The price was a steal, but you're a class act for including lawn care for the elderly. Massive props to you.

Thanks for posting.
Thank you. Would 265s be a better option? I think that's what's on it now stock. And they're pretty dry rotted.

That's what I got right now on mine. Cooper AT3. Love them.

Edit : trans cooler info :

Also, make sure to manually shift the trans when you're towing/loaded. Especially the 1-2 on start up.

Edit2 : Towing pic:

7-FDB5366-3-B0-C-41-C6-B2-DB-6-CA119771-FF0.jpg

Last edited:
That is a consideration is perhaps towing with it. Eventually. Straight outta the box it'd work ok. For the first semester or so I'll just throw a small lift and some 285 load E MTs on it knock the 3 years of sitting dust off of it. The kayaking scene I've gotten into lately is getting HUGE. All my buddies in the upstate are venturing out every weekend and here recently we had one guy driving 3+ hours all the way from the mountains in Georgia to meet up with us for the day. This truck will carry 5 and 5 easily.
Where abouts this paddling take place? We are going to be on the Dan River this weekend. Hunting Creek has been some log hoping fun this year.

Where abouts this paddling take place? We are going to be on the Dan River this weekend. Hunting Creek has been some log hoping fun this year.
The last few were on the Saluda. In reality, it could be anywhere. We've got so many river trips planned this year and going forward that it's almost ridiculous. It all depends on your skill level, time frame and how rowdy you care to get. You're more than welcome to join us. Anytime. Honored guest.
I typically link up with my brother Dusty and head out from his house. He lives on the Broad. He's originally from Western NC and knows that landscape well. Normally the trips are 8+ hours on the water. No rush, just scenic beauty and enjoying life with some cool-ass people.

Back