Project: Hi, Hoe.

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
A killer deal popped up here locally and I jumped at it. 2001 XJ, pretty good list of mods, needs axle work. I got it cheap. Like embarrassingly cheap. Plans are to fix the obvious items and make it a DD for rmyself and a light to medium wheeler for my wife.
It has:
* 4.11 and ARBs front and rear. But, the front seal housing is broken and the rear crosspin came out and took out the R&P. Should be easy fixes as it needs lower gears anyway.
* Skids, SYE, armor, winch, rock rails, etc. I'll keep all of that as is.
* 4.5ish RE/JKS short arm lift on 35s. I'll likely build my own 3 link and crossmember but keep everything else. Rear lift is full leaf pack and SRB. All good there.
* Rusty floor pans up front. I was removing the stereo system and felt flakes under the carpet. Looks like the windshield is leaking and as a result, time for floor pans.
* Has a new engine and steering box/ZJ TR as of last year.

Plans are to 3 link it, install RCV front shafts, re-gear to 4.88 and hit the trail. Maiden voyage likely the Sweet Meet 2020
Build will begin when I finish a laundry list of gear installs I have lined up ahead of it.

Current pics as of last night.
IMG_20200310_121339477_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200310_173105864.jpg
IMG_20200310_173112386.jpg
IMG_20200310_173116650.jpg
IMG_20200310_173126237.jpg

@BRUISER as it turns out, this XJ originally belonged to a friend of yours, Derek. I found some pics and vids of it on a CNC ride back in the day. i reached to him on FB for any details he may have.
Small world!

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this build.....

@BRUISER as it turns out, this XJ originally belonged to a friend of yours, Derek. I found some pics and vids of it on a CNC ride back in the day. i reached to him on FB for any details he may have.
Small world!
Sweet. It used to be very nice.

We gonna have a sweet XJ squad this year! Well.....mine will be a turd and Braxton will put his into "super mod mode" so it will never move again. Basically, your jeep is going to be fun.

Nice! I’m about to put mine under the knife again. I’ll be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Just a curiosity because I’ve never ran them - are RCVs so popular because they’re supposed to be unbreakable? Do they turn extra well?

I just got a set of 4340 front shafts for mine. On my old YJ I was running 300M Longfield joints on 4340 shafts and ended up breaking D44 rear shafts before I ever broke the front in that one.

The price difference is at least $300 different

For me, I get them wholesale and they are pretty much unbreakable the way I'll (and my wife) will drive it.
Unless you get some form of superjoint for conventional shafts, the weak link is still the same.

One thing I like about them, is how smooth turning is when the wheels are spinning... you dont get the jerky nature of ujoints. They arent unbreakable, but they dont tend to have the collateral damage like ujoint shafts.

Back