Prices on new Dodge CTDs

poncho-mike

I've been thinking about upgrading my tow vehicle. I currently have a 96 3/4 ton 454 4x4 Chevy.

I started out looking for something 2 - 3 years old with maybe 30 - 50K miles on it. It would be a Duramax 4x4 with the Alliston tranny or a Dodge CTD. I got comparing prices for used trucks to new ones, and it looks there are some real bargains on Dodges.

Right now, there are a couple of Dodge dealers in the NC and VA area offering new 06 Dodge 4x4 CTDs for over $10K off sticker. There's a quad cab CTD short bed 4x4 that stickers at almost $43K with an internet special price of less than $33K here in NC. The exact discount is $10,480.

But when I look at used trucks I see similar 2 yr old Dodges for $30K and 4 yr old Dodges with asking prices of $25K. The Duramax diesels seem to be more expensive than the comparable Dodge.

There also seem to be a lot of new 06 and 07 Dodges available. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I've always been a GM man, but these $33 - 34K new CTDs seem like a bargain to me compared to buying a new or used Duramax or even a used CTD. I can't see buying used 2-yr old truck when $4 - 5K more wll buy me a new truck.

What do you guys think?

Mike

Where are these 33k CTD's? PM me if you prefer.

I got a similar discount when I bought my new '03 Dodge. At the time, the Chevy's didn't carry the same discount, and they seemed to be a higher starting piont to boot.

The closest dealer to me is American Steel Dodge in Taylorsville NC.

http://www.americansteelauto.com/special2_detail.html

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck 4x4 Quad Cab
$32,690

Price $32,690
Body Style Truck
Mileage 61
Exterior Color Dark Blue
Interior Color Gray
Engine 6 Cylinder Diesel
Transmission Automatic with Overdrive
Drive Type 4 wheel drive - rear
Fuel Type Diesel
Stereo AM/FM Compact Disc Playr
Doors Four Door
Stock No. 61867
VIN 1D7KS28C26J158765

Driver Air Bag
Anti-Lock Brakes
Air Conditioning
Alloy Wheels
Cruise Control
Passenger Air Bag
Power Seats
Power Door Locks
Power Mirrors
Power Windows
Power Steering
Tinted Glass
Tilt Wheel

Brand New!! MSRP $43,170.00 REDUCED to 32,690.00!!! 5.9 in-line 6 cyl. CUMMINS TURBO!! All of our new and pre-owned vehicles are put through an extensive 127 point inspection. We offer a free CARFAX on all vehicles. Please call Dom ASAP today @ 866 711-1948 for more details.

As a general rule when buying from the 3 americans (Chevy/GM, Ford or Dodge) you should never pay more than 75% of sticker.
This comes from both personal purchases and several years in positions purchasing vehicles for company use outside of a fleet agreement. As well as time spent as a new care salesmen in college. It will take some aggravation and talking but now many of the dealerships are using the inetrnet and starting closer to the real sell price.
As to the used market. I posted a very similar thread here a few months back. What clouds this water is most dealerships put TREMENDOUS markups on their used vehicles, private owners are seeing this and trying to sell theirs for dealer asking price. If you hunt and argue(haggle) you can get good used prices also.
A friend just bought an 04 Duramax/Allison extended cab 4wd for 18k from a local chevy dealership. But they were asking 29,000 when he first looked at it.

The VAST majority of veicles you see in the Auto trader are a result of thee following all to common situation:
Uninformed consumer waks into dealership.
Consumer drives vehicle haggles price a little (no where near where he could)
Then attempts to finance.
He has a few bad marks or just doesnt know what his credit score looks like.
Dealership embelishes or outright lies about his credit worthiness and tells him they may not be able to finance him at all.
Then they miraculously "find a lender who is willing to work with him, he is really lucky this lender needs business today"
But alas this lender needs 8-12% or more (new car should be around %5 right now)
and given his credit situation part of that deal he haggled now has to be rescinded.
Instead of turning and running,our buyer has buyer heat. he thinks about it and finally agrees.
Now on to warranty and add on person who makes up initials and adds fees. (Are you really paying him $300 to fill out paperwork?!?!? thats what a "doc" fee is)

Eventually our loyal subject gets out the door very close to sticker, with an outrageous interest rate, and a payment he can not afford. (The standard accepted value is 25% of take home for a house 10% of take home for all car payments)

Now surprise surprise he misses a few payments, gets a few fees and a year later he still owes sticker price (or real damn close to it) and has finally realized he cant afford this car. Of course he will blame something else. But in reality he has a payment he cant afford.

Car goes in trader for balance minus as much as bank will lend him unsecured. Just so he can escape repossesion.
Now he needs a car, his credit is even worse and the cycle is repeated.

Sorry for the long reply. But me and my wife have been involved with a financial advisor program with our local church for the last few years and it drives me crazy. People are slaves to damn car payments and make really poor decisions. It is damn near criminal the shit I see weekly.

But there are deals out there. But they require money, and patience to find

I talked with a buddy of mine this AM and he shed a little light on the subject. He said that Dodge built a bunch of CTD trucks in anticipation of a buying surge before the new diesel rules went into effect. The surge never materialized at the level Dodge predicted, therefore Dodge has a huge backlog of unsold 06s out there.

I guess I need to change my negotiating strategy. I looked at an 04 CTD, ran Kelly Blue Book private party value, and told the owner that was what I was willing to pay. He wanted to negotiate from there, but I was sticking at that level.

I prefer the Chevy Duramax, but they're asking a premium for the new ones.

If you see anybody with a CTD or Duramax with less than 50K miles, let me know.

Mike

Another thing to keep in mind is that an 06 (since the 07s are out) would likely be financed as a "used" vehicle. So the better rates and longer terms typically available on new trucks might not be available on an 06. This is the case where I bank but, as usual, YMMV.

Then they miraculously "find a lender who is willing to work with him, he is really lucky this lender needs business today"
But alas this lender needs 8-12% or more (new car should be around %5 right now)

Even now? My Dodge is at 4.75 on a used loan, but that was done back in 2004 IIRC.. With interest rates now, my credit union is doing new at 6.25%..

Even now? My Dodge is at 4.75 on a used loan, but that was done back in 2004 IIRC.. With interest rates now, my credit union is doing new at 6.25%..

my CU says 5.75 on their website and I could usually talk at least a half point out of them in the past.

Then again, barring unforseen tragedies, I will never borrow money for a car again. But thats a whole nother discussion.

Evem still at 6.75 its better than a couple I counseled last week. 24 and 27 GOOD jobs. A few hiccups. And a Brand New Camry, at 17.2%

"We just cant figure out why we are always short on money"

Wasn't aware that the rate was subject to negotiation... interesting!

Wasn't aware that the rate was subject to negotiation... interesting!

Depends on the size of the bank and the size of the account.

Our CU has under 2000 members and we have both our business lines there, our home, and our IRAs, etc.

All told we have right at $1m in extendable credit, so it has worked in the past as alwasy YMMV

Faawk... I've got credit cards that beat that by five pts.
Yep.
But we counsel probably 100 families a year, and I have seen loans at over 20% more than I can count. The funny thing is you ask whats your interest rate they always say around 10%.

Then you start asking, $18,000 car $450payment 72 months....what am I missing.

And Im not even touching leases..:shaking:

Dad has an 04.5 CTD 4x4 LB SRW auto for sale. He said he would take $24500 for it. 42K miles. Loaded except for leather. If interested, let me know and I will email some pics

Back