powerstroke chip question (with a twist)

RufusTheRam

i've got a 99 f350 with the stroke. it's got a complete banks kit on it that was installed around 99/00. i'm thinking chip technology has probably come a long ways since the chip that's in it was made. if i was to go with a new aftermarket chip, is it going to play nicely with the other mods in the banks kit? i don't see why not, the only thing i'm somewhat concerned with is the upgraded turbo. i'm no diesel performance expert though. any other suggestions of specific updates/mods i could do that would work well with the existing banks stuff would be welcome.

Have a Banks kit on my '96. The Banks chip died around Thanksgiving last year. www.dp-tuner.com is the schiznit of stroke chips nowadays. He hooked me up with a 3-position chip and it made a huge difference vs. the Banks chip. He mostly does 99 and newer and did the 96 for me as a favor. Was awesome. Plus he is in Ashville.

www.thedieselstop.com has all the info on Jody and DP-Tuner.

Shannon

Call Banks and ask them if their new chips would work with the old upgrades. They should be able to custom tune you a chip to work with what you have. I have thought about doing the same thing you are talking about. I have a 65 hp Western Diesel chip in my 99 F250. Been thinking of upgrading. Just don't have the $. Keep us updated

Call Banks, they should take in your old chip and reburn it. If not and you really want/need a new chip, DP-Tune is about the best custom chip out right now. Dont worry about the turbo, dp can burn a chip for you tailored to your mods.

Call Jody @ DP-Tuner 828-221-0076, he will fix you up. You'll think you're driving a new truck.

FYI, Banks only backs their chip for one year. You can buy a new one for $550, single burn. I spoke with them over a 3 day period trying to get them to either 1) replace the bad chip or 2) cut me a deal on a new one. No dice and not very pleasant to work with either.

That was one reason I went with Jody and 3 pos. Really woke up the stroke and EGTs are smooth. Great support and all around nice guy. His wife's TDI Bug is freakin awesome too! She was chirping tires all the way through 4th gear. He said he had her bug limited to 45 psi of boost!

Again, call Jody at DP-Tuner.

hi guys
i had the same experance with a banks chip.
it was in the truck for 3 years and went bad.
called to see if they would reburn it. no.
i would have to buy a new one they said.
so its on to dp tuners.
seems like nice folks to work with.
and the price is cheeper too.

dawg

thanks for the info, sounds like dp is the way to go.

Back