plugging waste gate on 01 cummins

It will up the boost for sure, most likely won't make a whole lot more power...especially if yours is an auto with an hy35. The computer will start defueling over 21 or 23 psi unless you're running some sort of boost fooler or fueling box and they typically come with some sort of restrictor orifice instead of a plug for raising the psi without overspinning the turbacharger.

I wouldn't plug it, but you can definitely tighten it up to 30-32psi.

If you plug it and run a boost fooler, you will boost past the efficiency range of the turbo and start making hot boost. This will cause you to lose power and greatly decrease the life of your turbo. Get a boost elbow and dial in the boost you want.

You'll have the same problem I had when my wastegate was stuck it will over boost and then the computer will defuel it. Runs much better now that the wastegate is working properly.

Lol its useless. Just creates heat, lowers power output and increases likelihood of buying a turbo. I can see raising it 4-5psi max. More than that is pointless. Aftermarket fueling upgrades and a hx is sure to grenade
I've pushed a 35 and 40 well past 40psi, made no additional power. It would be more beneficial in a auto truck

No I'm not joking what burns up turbos or pistons? Egt. Boost is boost every pound of boost is 14* of temp that's why you run intercooler or nos if you not making anymore power you might look at that you block off the wastegate the turbo is going to make what its going to make now defueling ,head gaskets or any of that I don't know stock power stroke van turbos don't come with wategates at all

...and stock powerstroke vans are not running a 24V cummins either... it's all about the setup

you can plug/turn up the boost all you want, however there is a limit to the benefits of a stock, street driven truck that you will encounter... it's all dependent on your entire setup - fueling/wastegate/exhaust/intake/tuner

but if you must, set it to 35psi, get a boost fooler & tuner, downpipe and intake and call it a day

...and stock powerstroke vans are not running a 24V cummins either... it's all about the setup

you can plug/turn up the boost all you want, however there is a limit to the benefits of a stock, street driven truck that you will encounter... it's all dependent on your entire setup - fueling/wastegate/exhaust/intake/tuner

but if you must, set it to 35psi, get a boost fooler & tuner, downpipe and intake and call it a day

Yup! Lol
I'll find a pdf with the map of a 35.
Maybe it will add some clarity to the raising boost doesn't really mean more power.

No I'm not joking what burns up turbos or pistons? Egt. Boost is boost every pound of boost is 14* of temp that's why you run intercooler or nos if you not making anymore power you might look at that you block off the wastegate the turbo is going to make what its going to make now defueling ,head gaskets or any of that I don't know stock power stroke van turbos don't come with wategates at all

Additional fuel makes additional power, additional fuel requires additional air to burn , additional air results in additional exhaust gases, additional exhaust gas results in higher drive pressures. Which equates to higher boost.
The turbo is designed to "move" said volume of air at any given speed, boost or drive level.
Once the ratio is exceeded , let's say we exceed the map by 5 lbs drive pressures will show this and the drive pressure boost ratio will begin to "flip". Take it to far and your lucky if the charger goes before the headgasket.
You will never over spool a non gated charger without additional fuel. Because the initial design never intended to move as much air as the turbo was mapped for.
24v trucks use the wastegate often and in factory state a little early. It's ok it increase a touch we are not talking controlled increases, we are talking blocked off.

Just get an adjustable orfice or fixed orfice elbow that slows the flow to the actuator. Regardless it will still open the gate fully at the same pressure, it will just take longer.

Additional fuel makes additional power, additional fuel requires additional air to burn , additional air results in additional exhaust gases, additional exhaust gas results in higher drive pressures. Which equates to higher boost.
The turbo is designed to "move" said volume of air at any given speed, boost or drive level.
Once the ratio is exceeded , let's say we exceed the map by 5 lbs drive pressures will show this and the drive pressure boost ratio will begin to "flip". Take it to far and your lucky if the charger goes before the headgasket.
You will never over spool a non gated charger without additional fuel. Because the initial design never intended to move as much air as the turbo was mapped for.
24v trucks use the wastegate often and in factory state a little early. It's ok it increase a touch we are not talking controlled increases, we are talking blocked off.
Just get an adjustable orfice or fixed orfice elbow that slows the flow to the actuator. Regardless it will still open the gate fully at the same pressure, it will just take longer.
It is nice to know that at least one person on this thread isnt a dumb ass when it comes to understanding this process. The rest of you need to go sit down and listen to the teacher.:shaking: You are trying to out smart a room full of well paid engineers and simple physics. You are not winning.

It is nice to know that at least one person on this thread isnt a dumb ass when it comes to understanding this process. The rest of you need to go sit down and listen to the teacher.:shaking: You are trying to out smart a room full of well paid engineers and simple physics. You are not winning.

I hope your not talking about me

My current 24v has no waste gate and has not had one for years now. I built a twin turbo setup for a cummins 4 years a go with out a waste gate and it's still running fine that's all I have to say on this subject.

I'm sure it will be fine if your not exceeding the air limits of the charger, with a good balance of fuel vs air you can run all day non gated but you can't throw injectors and a box on a factory 35, block the gate and make anymore power than with the gate wide open
My current 24v has no waste gate and has not had one for years now. I built a twin turbo setup for a cummins 4 years a go with out a waste gate and it's still running fine that's all I have to say on this subject.

Back