Pellet stoves

This is another example of weird ass Imperial measurements for things that are pretty much an arbitrary size that somebody came up with and stuck.
4x4x8 because.... the size of a sheet of plywood? the size of a typical truck bed? (which is also generally centered around construction sizes of things like plywood) Who WTF knows.

The Metric equivalent is a Stere, and is just 1 cubic meter. So much more... logical.
Yep imperial measurements can be funny and have equally comedic names.
Were you aware there is an actual unit with a defined length known as a chain? Seriously, not somethign that you use to drag wood out with, but tracts can be measured in 'chains'.
And aside from @Loganwayne or @crunchy I doubt we have many others who have ever heard of it.

But back to the cord...

I learned - and it could be BS but a forestry professor told me this in 1996 and at the time he was approximately 107 years old, so I give him the benefit of the doubt....that the term cord originated because felling lines were typically 100' long. sticks were 4' by standard and logs 16' to make them manageable. But whenever a line would snap or frey it would be cut into quarters. And sticks (which were 4 ' long rememeber) were stacked up. And a 4x8 stack of 4' sticks....if you wrapped a rope around it 8'+4'+8'+4' by 12" to tie it. would be right at 25' or a quarter or a line. The pile was measured by wrapping the quarter line around it. It got slanged to quarter or corder then to cord.

Could be bullshit, but I bought it at 17.

We still measure shoe sizes in corns.

I thought this was going to be some amazing cost savings from my energy bill and loaded up on pellets after we moved in. Did some test with my power bill and the delta from running the two heat pumps to heat the house vs running the pellets and the HVAC fan only was nearly identical in cost. So if you have a heat pump then you will never recover the initial cost of the pellet stove. But it's a nice ambiance and my basement only has one HVAC vent so I'm supposing the po installed the pellet stove to heat the basement and that it does...
Agreed. The house "feels" a lot better when the woodstove is kickin' in the basement, floor is warmer, the 68 degrees or whatever the boss keeps the thermostat set on actually feels like 70 instead of 60, but doesn't seem to be more than a $10-15 savings in the power bill. If I didn't get the wood for free, I don't know that I'd even mess with it (that's was she said)

Spoke with one of the guys over at comfortbilt, turns out there actually based out of Morrisville. He definitely eased my mind about availability of parts and what not. Knowing I can ride 30 mins up the road and get whatever part I may need sounds pretty nice. And he’s willing to knock the price down if they don’t have to ship it. Still doing research but the odds are leaning in the favor of the pellet stove. Keep in mind this is just an auxiliary heat source, not looking to switch my propane over for a heat pump just yet.

I have seen a bunch of stuff on the vevor diesel heater
I saw that the other night & was also going to bring that up. It just depends on what & how you intend to use it, but it's worth checking out! I read the reviews {Amazon I think} & watched two You Tubes on it. Also the Wippro heater was brought up & I get the feeling it might be better built. Any one with a shop, out building, or needing some axillary heating should take a look!
@Ron , might have some insight on these.

Back