Pellet stoves

APJeeps

Aaron Darnell
With cost of propane being high, and my slim desire to chop wood for a wood stove I am heavily considering a pellet stove for the living room to help supplement heat for the house. Figured with the likeminded people on here someone’s probably got one. Any ideas what brands to go towards and what to stay away from?

I think in discussions on shop heaters & such, I mentioned the Pellets, since one of my neighbors had one, at one time. I think it was the opinion most folk ran from those after the first year. Seems the cost, keeping it loaded, emptying it, was too much. I would expect some experts to jump in here!

What’s a pellet stove?
BA89439A-BD85-490C-A8D7-E546DA673FC1.jpeg

With a cord that big, shouldn't be a problem.
1705935243442.gif

(by definition all cords are 4x4x8 - you can have multiple cords but not a bigger cord.)

Well that escalated quickly. Came here to get info on pellet stoves, and all I found is a bunch of dudes talking about their wood! This damn forum lol....

Well that escalated quickly. Came here to get info on pellet stoves, and all I found is a bunch of dudes talking about their wood! This damn forum lol....
i don't know why you'd expect anything different

same
i don't know why you'd expect anything different
but, same....

I have seen a bunch of stuff on the vevor diesel heater, on the socials.... might be an option depending on the location

I, too, am interested in this for my next house. With a fused wrist and a bad rotator cuff im afraid my firewood cutting days may be past me. I'd love a convenience of a pellet stove, but i do wonder about the cost to keep one fed.

Got a pellet stove in my basement. Don't know what brand though. It holds 80 pounds of pellets (two bags) and will heat the whole house in the winter. I can turn it on in the morning, set it on 3/4 full heat (modulates the auger cycle to dump more or less pellets) leave the basement door open and turn on the HVAC fan. Obviously it's really warm in the basement and the basement stairs are a heat tunnel but the main HVAC return is near the top of the stairs so it circulates fairly well. House is 3k sqft not including the basement.

Burns roughly 40 pounds in 12 hours so two bags a day. I thought this was going to be some amazing cost savings from my energy bill and loaded up on pellets after we moved in. Did some test with my power bill and the delta from running the two heat pumps to heat the house vs running the pellets and the HVAC fan only was nearly identical in cost. So if you have a heat pump then you will never recover the initial cost of the pellet stove. But it's a nice ambiance and my basement only has one HVAC vent so I'm supposing the po installed the pellet stove to heat the basement and that it does...

Yep it actually goes back to timber values and was/is a legal standard of measurement.

Canada goes a bit further and defines the cord by federal law.
They take their wood serious in Canada, eh?

This is another example of weird ass Imperial measurements for things that are pretty much an arbitrary size that somebody came up with and stuck.
4x4x8 because.... the size of a sheet of plywood? the size of a typical truck bed? (which is also generally centered around construction sizes of things like plywood) Who WTF knows.

The Metric equivalent is a Stere, and is just 1 cubic meter. So much more... logical.

This is another example of weird ass Imperial measurements for things that are pretty much an arbitrary size that somebody came up with and stuck.
4x4x8 because.... the size of a sheet of plywood? the size of a typical truck bed? (which is also generally centered around construction sizes of things like plywood) Who WTF knows.

The Metric equivalent is a Stere, and is just 1 cubic meter. So much more... logical.
Truck beds and sheets of plywood were plentiful in the old country.

Back