Optima batteries

Webbinator said:
Anybody got a line on where to get a new Optima at a good price? Looking for Charlotte area. Thanks.

go to 4WP and get their ProComp batteries...

they have red/yellow/blue...same specs, same warranty...

I bought my Blue Top for $119.99...

Greg

Autozone has red tops for $109. :beer:

red is for starting and has a ton of CCA, yellow is deep cycle and would be good for winching, blue is the marine one

Webbinator said:
OK guys, thanks. So which color is actually the best for our type use? Starting, winching, etc.

to me, Blue is the best option...

there are two versions (if you're looking at Optima)...so be careful...

one is purely deep cycle, one is a combo starting/deep cycle...

if you're winching, you want a deep cycle...the blue and yellow are identical internally, but the blue top has an additional set of posts on the top you can hook lights, amps, CB's, etc to...

Greg

Only reason I ask is because I have a red top Optima now that is on it's way out. I have had it since '98, so I got my $$$$ worth out of it. I didn't have a winch when I first bought that one. I was just wondering since I have to replace it, should I go back with a red top, or would one of the others be the one to go with this time around.

Webbinator said:
Only reason I ask is because I have a red top Optima now that is on it's way out. I have had it since '98, so I got my $$$$ worth out of it. I didn't have a winch when I first bought that one. I was just wondering since I have to replace it, should I go back with a red top, or would one of the others be the one to go with this time around.

there are some that have run winches on Red Tops without any problems...

the real issue comes in if you're running them with the motor turned off...that's when the deep cycle battery is worth the money...

if you keep the motor cranked and revved up enough (I use my hand throttle for this) it ought to stay at a full charge...

my understanding is that Optima won't warranty a Red Top if it's had a winch hooked up to it...but I personally don't know anybody that's actually had any warranty work declined...

for the price, the Blue Top (ProComp) was a no-brainer for me...I got a dual purpose starting/deep cycle battery, with extra posts, for about the price of an Optima Red Top...

I've run mine almost 2-1/2 years so far as a single battery...running my 12K winch (probably 40-50 pulls)...no issues at all...

Greg

I've been running my Optima red top for about 4 yrs now, winching, with no problems. Ran the winch so long off of it, winch overheated and quit working. I let it cool down for about 15 min, and went back to winching. But I try to never use winch w/o motor running.

I also use the red top(s) I have three in my Heep. Why three? One is for the Jeep, starting lights and so on. I isolate the other two for welding. So far no issues, winching, welding or otherwise. The one I keep online so to speak is one that come with a Jeep I bought several years ago and the guy had no idea how old or what condition. It keeps a charge so I continue to use it.
I have heard from several sources not to hook a winch to the side posts. "they" say it will burn the connection inside the battery and you won't have a connection on the side post, but, that you will still have the top posts as a power source. I think, IIRC that the red top will recover quicker than the others. That's one reason I like it better.
Above it was mentioned about running a winch till it got hot. Probably not too good on the winch it's self. One thing you have to consider that the winch at full pull will out draw the alternators output. so after a long pull or a lot of pulling, you will delete a lot of your battery power. A low battery is very hard on a winch. As far as that goes, starving any electric motor for power is bad on them. It doesn't matter if it's an AC or a DC motor.
Now, as far as price, I got two of mine at Advance. I buy a lot of parts from there, many of the guys and gals at the local store know me, and when you pull my phone number, it's easy to see how much and how often I buy. So, I decided to take advantage of this and ask the sales guy.
ME: You know I am in here a lot, and I buy a lot. so now, I want to get two red tops, what kinda deal will you make me
SALESGUY: Hold on, let me get the MGR
ME: OK
so he goes and gets the manager and explains the situation
MGR: Give him 20%
ME: Kewl!
So, to make a long story short what would have cost me $233 including tax
Cost me $186
So I saved $47
No brainer for me

melting secondary posts

Yes, have seen the front posts on Red tops melt away from the battery. Not cool. Were the cables stretched / strained- donno, just seen them pull away from excessive current/heat.
I have an older Red top from nAdvance and its 6 years old, holding up well behind a 8274. Connected winch to the top posts and starting heep from front the fronts. No problemo.

Back