opinions or experience - 8100 vortec and or 2500 suburban

AX(J)15_tudor

I'm looking at possibly trading my 04 ram 1500 with hemi for a 02-04 suburban k2500 for multiple reasons but one of them is possibly towing my xj on dual axle trailer. The trailer weighs about 2500 lbs whole setup i'm guessing 5500-7500. My dodge could do it but again this is for multiple reasons, one being adding 4wd and more dedicated towing ability.
I wanted to get feedback on pros and cons of a 2500 burb especially that year range but maybe more importantly feedback on the vortec 8100 (8.1L). That's the engine that will be equipped in the one I am looking at the hardest. Any major issues that can be shared would be appreciated. I know it has less aftermarket support than others but I am not looking to tune it. I know in advance I should get a ford powerstroke or cummins etc but this is a good value and fits my needs so I'm mainly looking for feedback on this particular setup.

My main questions would be reliability, known problems in those model years or setups, likes or dislikes from previous owners or friends of friends etc.

I had an 8.1 truck. Soon after I bought, I remember putting gas in for less than $1. There were a few times it got less than 8 mpg towing 10K lbs. Got 12-13 driving. Used about a quart of oil between oil changes. I sold it with less than 40K on it. Bad thing about the suburban is no allison.

I wish it had the Allison. I did read the 4l80 (I think) they do come with are supposed to be pretty good. Gas wise my hemi isn't that great anyway so it would be a drop but luckily I don't drive far. Thanks for the feedback.

some of those transfercases are a major PITA. the oil pump retainer breaks. While this isnt' a huge deal, it lets the oil pump rotate on the output shaft and rest against the aluminum case, eventually wearing a hole in it, pouring all the fluid out, and leaving you stranded when you don't need it.

It happened on me on a 2000 k2500 suburban and I know of other personally. I can't remember the transfercase model but its pretty common. Your year may have already fixed this issue or yours may be a different transfercase. Either way, keep that in mind and research that issue. Its widly known and a major PITA (mine fawked up and burned up bearings when I was 6 hours away from home!)

the 8.1 does have the 4l80e behind it, so you should be good. the engine needs some help for power. For that size motor, it should put out a lot more power than it does. Spend a few $ to wake it up and you'll be pleased with the motor and power if you can afford to put gas in it. Mine didn't have any upgrades and the motor was heavy and underpowered for an 8.1L

Rockcity really appreciate the tip about the TC. Just did some research and you are right it is very common even had a nickname - pump rub, lol. Anyway looks like there are some inexpensive fixes but I will look to make sure this one doesn't already have it because otherwise it would be a costlier repair.

Was it just the 'Burb that didn't get the Allison with the 8.1? I know the trucks did, wonder why the 'Burb wouldn't....maybe the floor pan clearances? At any rate, I would probably rather have a 6.0 'Burb myself.

Best thing about it is, no need for a weighted tag :D

Tater has an '01 2500 w/ 8.1L & Allison that we use for longer hauls of the Jeeps (AC & heated seats rock!).

13mpg unloaded & 8.75mpg towing my trailer (5-ton Hudson) & Jeep (about 6500#) are the norms, though he claims he gets better mpg towing a 19k# travel trailer than the Jeeps.

When I was looking & researching an 8.1, several folks/forums claimed a HUGE increase in power & up to 5mpg with a "ride along" tune, though there were similar numbers from mailorder ECM swaps. AFAICT, the power came from a little fuel management tuning, removing/decreasing the "traction control" (which appears to be 100% to keep the trannies together :( ), recalibrating tire sizes & tweaking shift points.

The cheap fixes for the pump rub is cheap but involves remooving the transfercase and taking it apart. While the parts are cheap, its somewhat of a PITA to do. Believe me, I know as I had to pull the TC and rebuild it and fix the pump rub issue and hole in the case. it was a PITA!

Was it just the 'Burb that didn't get the Allison with the 8.1? I know the trucks did, wonder why the 'Burb wouldn't....maybe the floor pan clearances? At any rate, I would probably rather have a 6.0 'Burb myself.

Best thing about it is, no need for a weighted tag :D
I'm just not finding the 6.0 with 4wd and in the 2500. The excursions sell too high and I'm not a ford guy anyway and am not that interested in a v-10 either.

My hemi averages 13 so although I'm not thrilled I think I could live with those numbers. Luckily I work really close to home or this would be a no go.

The cheap fixes for the pump rub is cheap but involves remooving the transfercase and taking it apart. While the parts are cheap, its somewhat of a PITA to do. Believe me, I know as I had to pull the TC and rebuild it and fix the pump rub issue and hole in the case. it was a PITA!
Sounds and reads like a pita but if I can get enough for my Ram I may just pay to have it installed. The burn I'm looking at is loaded and a good deal.

Craigslist man! I've seen several go for cheapppp! Don't be afraid to travel for a decent deal...within reason.

I'm just not finding the 6.0 with 4wd and in the 2500. The excursions sell too high and I'm not a ford guy anyway and am not that interested in a v-10 either.

found this last night looking around, finda window shopping,

Autotrader , '03 2500 4x4 'burb W/6.0 in Raleigh
http://tinyurl.com/b7xtqqo

That's freakin sweet! Less than 100K too!

found this last night looking around, finda window shopping,

Autotrader , '03 2500 4x4 'burb W/6.0 in Raleigh
http://tinyurl.com/b7xtqqo
Appreciate it, I did see that one, not bad. For whatever reason lifted tow rigs aren't my style and from calling the dealer someone stuck lift blocks under it. I'm guessing it wasn't owned by grandpa, lol.

Think I've found my future tow pig. It isn't finalized yet but it's looking like it will be a 02 2500 burban with the 8.1. I may regret the 8.1 but it's a pretty good deal all in all. I'll post up when it's finalized so as not to jinx it now.

I have owned and towed with both a V-10 excursion, a 8100 02 model suburban, a older model 95 model 454 2500 suburban also

By far the best one for towing was the 8.1 liter, its almost like it finds another gear, very torqky if thats a word, my 8.1 had a fuel saver module, and a custome tune, it would get close to 15-17mpg on the hwy and 8-12mpg depending on what I was towing

Last edited:
I have owned and towed with both a V-10 excursion, a 8100 02 model suburban, a older model 95 model 454 2500 suburban also

By far the best one for towing was the 8.1 liter, its almost like it finds another gear, very torqky if thats a word, my 8.1 had a fuel saver module, and a custome tune, it would get close to 15-17mpg on the hwy and 8-12mpg depending on what I was towing
Sweet, since I may be picking one up soon mind telling me what tuner it was and or who you sent it to? Also I'm not familiar with what you mean by module and if you mean something aftermarket or factory. Ideally if I could duplicate that would be the best of all worlds for me. All the RV guys I've read about on other sites seem to love the 8.1 that's been dropped into their behemoths. If it's good enough for that should be more than enough for my rig, family, and camping gear.

Sweet, since I may be picking one up soon mind telling me what tuner it was and or who you sent it to? Also I'm not familiar with what you mean by module and if you mean something aftermarket or factory. Ideally if I could duplicate that would be the best of all worlds for me. All the RV guys I've read about on other sites seem to love the 8.1 that's been dropped into their behemoths. If it's good enough for that should be more than enough for my rig, family, and camping gear.

here is the fuel saver, I ran a FS1, plug and play for the most part, looks like they have a FS3 out now

http://voloperformance.com/fs3fuelsaver.html

And i had this model Diablo programmer on it, also plug and play

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dbl-i1000/overview/make/chevrolet

Dumb question since I've never run a tuner or piggy back fuel saver. Do you have to have both? What was the benefit of the tuner since you were going for fuel economy? Was it to have a scan tool and more functionality or was it needed to maximize the fuel saver?

Lol so I went to get the one I had picked out. Drove an hour and 1/2 and on the 10 mile test drive something blew and threw all the coolant out of it and I was stuck on the side of the road until my wife picked me up. Left the keys in the glove box for the dealer.
God is good!
Too many threads about busted 2500 Burbans at this point for me. Maybe I'll just keep the ram and get by.

Back