Old Toyota Truck

Jasper

This may or may not be the right spot for this thread but seemed like the place to start. There is the old saying that you never know when opportunity knocks so here goes. My father purchased the truck new. I thought it was an 82' model, my brother say's it's an 81' model. 4WD, standard cab, long bed. There is some sentimental value but all things need to be measured and considered.
Before my father passed he gave the truck to my younger brother, it has never been outside the family. My brother drove it for many until the stock 4cyl was worn out and had a grand idea of fixing up a little "mudding" truck. Now after years of being taken apart and sitting idle he has concluded he doesn't have the time or the money to begin putting it back together. He say's I can have it if I want it.
The last I saw it it was a body on a rolling chassis. The original engine I think has been long gone. He has several transmissions and transfer cases on his shop floor. Different driveshafts and other parts and a V6, some older GM engine he found from who knows where.
So. I have always been a Jeep guy. Though in the course of my travels and trail rides I have seen some neat Toyota trucks. Some with V6's and occasionally a small V8. Multiple transfer cases with insane crawl ratios. I can do some of the work myself but my shop space and resources would require farming out some work. The project is tempting.
So I figure this would be a good place to start. I'm sure there are few Toyota truck gurus around and maybe somewhere in central NC a reputable shop that specializes in custom Toyota truck builds that could be of some help.
The next step is make the drive and take a real good look at it. If the cab is too far gone I will probably pass on it. So to the question... What should I be on the lookout for? What am I getting into and is it worth it?
All honest opinions would be welcome.
Thanks.

@specialtoy would be the first person I'd go to for something like this. Dude knows his old Toyotas and has owned a boat load of them!

As far as the motor/trans/tcase, that’s easy. The “worth it” part is the frame/cab/ general body panels being worth it i.e. rust. Everything driveline is easy (through money at it).

Back