Np208 ????

tech701

Ok, so i'm driving down 40 and I notice my tcase jump, but thats it. Nothing was noticable in the way the truck was driving. Then..... about 5 miles later it the tcase starts making a clanking sound (kinda sounded like a chain slapping around) and jumping. Then I lose power to the rear wheels. So, I figure the chain broke. Called a roll back, blah blah blah. Anyway its at home now. Here is when it gets fishy. I went outside to check it out couple hours after I was home, and lo and behold them damn think is working fine. I haven't put it in 4lo yet. I wanted to see what you guys say first. Whataya think?

That sounds very much like what happened when my tranny on the CTD took a dump. Doubt yours is the same, but don't discount the tranny. I honestly can't figure out what would cause it to magically start working again...

I'd go through every mode of operation... make sure everything works...

BTW - vehicle in question is a ex-CUCV - Chevy 5/4 ton truck.. 6.2 oil-burner, Th400, NP208.

P.S. Ya didn't leave the hubs locked, did ya? ;)

NP208s were notorious for worn shift fork pads and weak engagement springs (like the BW cases).

It's possible, if not likely, that shift fork wear is allowing it to jump out of gear. I had a BW case that did that.... worked awesome in 4lo, but would pop into neutral (and grind the HELL out of the sun gear) when you got out of the throttle in high. Declutch, rev up the motor (to put rearward thrust on the gear) and clutch it again, it would hook up again for a while. I nursed it all the way to Baltimore from Blacksburg, VA, like that.... ~300 mi worth. It was pretty fawked by the time I got there. ;)

Did an extraction for a kid this morning in Holly Springs just before I had the issue. I only left the hubs locked till I got back to his house from the trail. Thats maybe a half mile or something. I'm thinking the tcase got hung in neutral and shifted back into gear when we rolled it backwards off of the rollback

The chain dont spin on a 208 in 2wd. But they are bad about the forks going to hell, usally from running them to low on fluid for extended time.

The forks might be bad. But it sure aint from running low on fluid. I check the atf every time I check the oil, which is a about every time I fill up on desiel fuel. Now it's possible that the previous owner ran it low. It was previously owned by the US gov.

208 shift fork

Friend of mine had the same problem with the same truck. Order a shift fork. There is some place that specializes in transfer case stuff starts with a "b".

hey man if yoru interested i gotta 400/208 combo out of a cucv with only 40000 on the odomoter. pm me and let me know if your interested

tech701 said:
But it sure aint from running low on fluid. I check the atf every time I check the oil, which is a about every time I fill up on desiel fuel.

Do you check the ATF in the trans that often, or in the T-case, or both?

You know it never has hit me that there might be a seal between the tranny and the tcase. I just assumed they ran on the same fluid. I'm probly wrong though

There is a seal between the T-case and trans. You can check the T-case fluid level at the T-case, underneath the vehicle. There is a fill plug (usually in the back side of the T-case), and the fluid level needs to be up to the level of that plug when the vehicle is sitting level.

Back