no good noise

orange150

If anybody who knows a thing or two about turbo diesels wants to stop by my house in Raleigh it sure would be appreciated. My truck is making a nasty noise if I idle it around or above 1000rpm. The best way I can remake it is by blowing out with my mouth closed with my lips barely apart. Im thinking it's just cold and not getting enough oil to the turbo because I couldn't plug in the block heater last night.

I guess it could be time to upgrade turbos...?

well after letting it idle for about 30 minutes I gathered the gonads to say F it and just drive down to that performanc diesel place off Hillsborough street. Of course when I get there it doesn't do it any more, but the tech said it was more than likely because it was so cold. Said something about how fuel will distribute unevenly when they get cold sometimes. Still makes me nervous

These aren't passenger cars, and they show it when cold.

I had the heater plugged in for about 2 1/2 hours this morning, and it was STILL pissed off when I started it.. PS pump was groaning when the wheel was turned for about a mile, etc. etc..

people over on thedieselstop.com said it was probably the "EBPV" (Exaust back pressure valve), which "restricts the exhaust from leaving the turbo, with the intent to keep the warm exhaust in the block to help the engine warm up quicker. The valve will continue to open and close, depending on how much throttle you give it, until the truck warms up."

I don't really know what that is supposed to sound like but I am just going to go ahead and assume that was it.

if it was the ebpv valve closed it would run like shit 30 mph top speed kinda thing and rev high with not much power. it is blocking the turbo off until warmed up.

Mine coughed and sputtered for about ten minutes this morning before I finnaly just went ahead and drove it. It was also hard as crap to get started. I dont have a block heater so I guess its going to be a daily occurance from here on out.

General, don't you have a CTD? If so, it's standard equipment.. it's screwed in just behind the oil filter on the side of the block..

That's nuts...... Mine did the exact same thing this morning. I was a little worried cause I had mine plugged all night. The boost gauge would hardly read at all. I popped the hood just to make sure nothing had come loose. It eventually warmed up after about a mile. (F-250 7.3)

EBPV on the Ferds.

It wont have any nuts until it closes. it sits in the turbo compressor housing and opens when it is cold. There is a sensor on the front towards the pass. side of the motor, below the fuel bowl/HPOP. If you have the problem in the summer, take the sensor out and clean it and the tube it is connected to out. it is easiest to dissasemble it and remove the air tube from the exhaust manifold and the front cover. Or you could just unplug it and use a simulator plug found cheap on easy ford diesel website.

As for me, I left mine alone and clean/unclog it periodically.

General, don't you have a CTD? If so, it's standard equipment.. it's screwed in just behind the oil filter on the side of the block..

Really?? Sweet, I guess Ill have to check that out tonight. Shows you how much of a diesel Newb I am.

If anybody who knows a thing or two about turbo diesels wants to stop by my house in Raleigh it sure would be appreciated. My truck is making a nasty noise if I idle it around or above 1000rpm. The best way I can remake it is by blowing out with my mouth closed with my lips barely apart. Im thinking it's just cold and not getting enough oil to the turbo because I couldn't plug in the block heater last night.
I guess it could be time to upgrade turbos...?

Like the others said
It's the backpressure valve don't worry about it.

Back