Newbie here and I have some winch questions.

moto696

Just bought an 02' Jeep Wrangler Sport with 3 & 1/2 in lift, 33" tires and need to put a winch on the front. Because I've already gotten stuck once. Don't want to spend an arm and leg on the winch, does anyone know of a good winch at a decent price with mounting plate, rollers and everything that I would need? I'm new at this, so I don't know exactly what I need. So if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. And is there anything else I'd need besides a winch? Such as; the bare essentials that I would need to go off roading.

Thanks.

Warn M8000 is a fine winch, and isn't near $1000. But once you get the winch, a mount, tree saver, a few shackes, snatch block, etc.. I guess it can get up there...

I will only run Warn winches.

thanks guy
i am just going to do the weekend warrior thing.

Just get a $299 Harbor Freight 8k winch, I think I have a piece of channel laying around that I modified for mounting a winch on, and you're ready to go. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to find it :)

If we can help you out with the mounting plate let us know. TJs are a little different than CJ/YJ stuff because you have the front swaybar to contend with and mount around. Not a big deal, just need to make sure you plan for it.

Andy

If you are not going to use the winch a lot, I recomend a tow strap and a buddy. Tow strap will cost about $50. You should have someone elses rig with you anyway (especialy if you are new to wheeling). Use them to get yourself "unstuck". If you still want to have the ability to pull yourself out, buy a good come along. This won't look as cool as having a winch on the front of your rig, but is a heck of a lot cheeper. Try this for a while and see if you are realy wanting to get into wheeling. If you end up just a "weekend warior" you will probably not need to spend the cash on a winch. Also, the come along will work pulling from the front or rear. Show me a front mounted winch that can do that.

I have a front mounted winch, but still do not leave the house without the come along in the Jeep. Some times it is better to retreat than to pull yourself into some deeper crap.

If you are not going to use the winch a lot, I recomend a tow strap and a buddy. Tow strap will cost about $50. You should have someone elses rig with you anyway (especialy if you are new to wheeling). Use them to get yourself "unstuck". If you still want to have the ability to pull yourself out, buy a good come along. This won't look as cool as having a winch on the front of your rig, but is a heck of a lot cheeper. Try this for a while and see if you are realy wanting to get into wheeling. If you end up just a "weekend warior" you will probably not need to spend the cash on a winch. Also, the come along will work pulling from the front or rear. Show me a front mounted winch that can do that.
I have a front mounted winch, but still do not leave the house without the come along in the Jeep. Some times it is better to retreat than to pull yourself into some deeper crap.

that is a good point i will go get one of they today. but i would still like to get a winch just in case.

A come along will work. But don't depend on it to get you up lower 2( yep, seen it being done) or Slick Rock( yep seen that one too)
I have seen those that put the winch in the center and could pull either way. See the famous turquoise FJ.
Still others put one front and rear, which I think is pretty kewl.
The to strap has a place, but not as THE only recovery tool. I have seen more places that you couldn't use a strap, then places you could.

Most people say its risky...but i picked up a used ramsey rep8000 on ebay for 250 bucks. it looked like crap and the freespool didn't work. i took it apart, put one of the small springs back in its hole for the clutch, wire brushed the whole outside, painted it, and had ramsey send me the new stickers and even ser. no. plate which they stamped my old ser. no. in it for free. Picked up a new cable at a local cable and sling shop here in charlotte for 35 bucks. put it all back together and it pulls like crazy. add it all up and its 285 bucks and a can of paint and alittle time.

I have seen those that put the winch in the center and could pull either way. See the famous turquoise FJ.

Actually, his is front only.. but it's still cool.

Back