New Vehicles Exp Reduced Power @ 50k +

ckruzer

Infidel
Been pondering this today.... I have noticed this with several New vehicles from across multiple mfg's. Usually around 50k miles (conveniently around warranty expiration or shortly after) new engines begin to experience reduce power. By this I mean I notice more rpm's than when first bought is required to accelerate from a stop or up a hill. Etc.

Curious if any of yous have noticed this before, or perhaps its a widely known fact? Dunno. Lol

I have had the following thoughts.

Ring wear resulting in blowby
Catalytic Converter beginning to reduce flow
Valve springs begin to lose spring rate and reduce air intake and exhaust output
valve carbon buildup, air leakage on compression

And my train of thought is not towards issues with consumables like filters and spark plugs, and sensors, etc. I have noticed this issue even when these items are replaced.

I have noticed this on the following vehicles

Toyota Highlander
Honda Civic
Chevy C/K
Silverado
Tahoe
F150
Toyota Camry
Toyota Corolla
Ford Taurus
Suburban
Honda Pilot

Nope

Reset the ECU. Solves all problems.
Lots of truth here. Most modern vehicles have adaptive strategies where they adapt shift points and so on to your driving style. If you're the kind to floor it leaving every stoplight it will shift the shift points higher for example.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Lots of truth here. Most modern vehicles have adaptive strategies where they adapt shift points and so on to your driving style. If you're the kind to floor it leaving every stoplight it will shift the shift points higher for example.

I was half joking. The internet is full of "I turned up the boost before I got tuned and then I heard something and now I have no power"....

"Did you reset the ECU?"...

I was half joking. The internet is full of "I turned up the boost before I got tuned and then I heard something and now I have no power"....

"Did you reset the ECU?"...
Yea but theres some truth to it. Like i said, you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and the transmission, idle, air fuel mixture and drive by wire throttle adaptive learn strategies all get reset to factory. If op is seeing things like a higher rpm climbing the same hill like he posted, it could very well be because the vehicle adapted to his driving style. Maybe it keeps the torque converter unlocked longer for instance.

You do have to change the oil. 50,000 miles is a pretty long interval :p

Yea but theres some truth to it. Like i said, you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and the transmission, idle, air fuel mixture and drive by wire throttle adaptive learn strategies all get reset to factory. If op is seeing things like a higher rpm climbing the same hill like he posted, it could very well be because the vehicle adapted to his driving style. Maybe it keeps the torque converter unlocked longer for instance.

Yep, that's the truth to my half joking. Resets long- and short-term fuel trims, etc.

Low tension rings, shitty fuel and all the emissions/oil control equipment dumping right back into the intake. Yeah i have seen compression loss and injector clogging on the gasoline direct injection engines first hand. I recommended a good preventive maintenance program.

I just figure if it's a direct injection gas motor that the intake valves are clogged up with carbon....

I notice a difference in how my vehicles run from day to day almost. Almost like an elevation effect but I think it has to do with humidity in the air being sucked in. o_O

They Do seem to run Stronger on a Crisp, Cool, Night!:burnout:

Or with a fresh tank of fuel. I always run mine down past "E" so when I fill up I feel what the new tank will do. Every once in a while I get a tank that feels like the truck woke up from a nap; I just assume that most of the fuel I fill it with is not very fresh and full of "pep".

Every once and a while, I'll run some 93 octane through something that's been on 87 its whole life.

Or with a fresh tank of fuel. I always run mine down past "E" so when I fill up I feel what the new tank will do. Every once in a while I get a tank that feels like the truck woke up from a nap; I just assume that most of the fuel I fill it with is not very fresh and full of "pep".
Probably when your running on empty & Burning up the electric fuel pump [if you have one], your near coasting, trying to get to a station. Then once you've refueled, you have the confidence to Stomp it!

Back