New towing laws?

13bullets

Chris
A coworker was saying today he got an overweight ticket on I-40 the other day. Supposedly as of 1/1/10 any truck/trailer weighing over 10001 lbs has to pull into the weigh stations? He didn't and the trooper stopped and weighed him.

He also said as of 1/1/10 any 3/4 or 1 ton truck now has to have weighted tags, no more "regular" tags for those trucks.

This guy talks a lot, and is the type that has a story for everything, the type that you don't know if he's making stuff up or things actually happen to him.

Anyone else know about new laws such as these? Thought it might be worth mentioning, just in case it's true and some people don't know.

Havn't heard of that one yet. Either way, i'll be bumping up to a heavier tag on my tow rig before towing much more than around town.

i have been looking for all the laws also..
reason: a freind of mine said that if your truck gorss rating is 10,000lb then you can not tow over 10,000lb.. which would pretty much stop all towing in NC :)

so i think he is talking out his ass also

They sure don't make it easy for the average dude to know the laws, so how are we supposed to follow them?

The people writing/voting on the laws don't know them either.

here is only info I can find about new laws

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/B...DF/S1000v5.pdf

AN ACT TO RESTRICT THE OVERALL LENGTH OF A SINGLE VEHICLE WITH TWO
OR MORE AXLES TO FORTY FEET, TO REQUIRE THAT VEHICLES
TRANSPORTING EQUIPMENT OR POLES FOR EMERGENCY UTILITY REPAIR AT
NIGHT HAVE TRAILERS THAT ARE NO LONGER THAN FIFTY-THREE FEET, TO
INCREASE THE MAXIMUM LENGTH FOR A COMBINATION OF A HOUSE
TRAILER USED AS A MOBILE HOME WITH ITS TOWING VEHICLE, AND TO
REQUIRE CERTAIN FARM VEHICLES TO BE SELF-PROPELLED WHEN
OPERATING ON A HIGHWAY.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 20-116 reads as rewritten:
"§ 20-116. Size of vehicles and loads.

(d) Maximum Length. – The following maximum lengths apply to vehicles. A
truck-tractor and semitrailer shall be regarded as two vehicles for the purpose of determining
lawful length and license taxes.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a single vehicle having two
or three more axles shall not exceed 40 feet in length overall of dimensions
inclusive of front and rear bumpers.
(2) Trucks transporting unprocessed cotton from farm to gin shall not exceed 50
feet in length overall of dimensions inclusive of front and rear bumpers.
(3) Recreational vehicles shall not exceed 45 feet in length overall, excluding
bumpers and mirrors.
(e) Except as provided by G.S. 20-115.1, no combination of vehicles coupled together
shall consist of more than two units and no such combination of vehicles shall exceed a total
length of 60 feet inclusive of front and rear bumpers, subject to the following exceptions:
Motor vehicle combinations of one semitrailer of not more than 53 feet in length and a truck
tractor (power unit) may exceed the 60-foot maximum length. Said maximum overall length
limitation shall not apply to vehicles operated in the daytime when transporting poles, pipe,
machinery or other objects of a structural nature which cannot readily be dismembered, nor to
such vehicles transporting such objects operated at nighttime by a public utility when required
for emergency repair of public service facilities or properties,properties, provided the trailer
length does not exceed 53 feet in length, but in respect to such night transportation every such
vehicle and the load thereon shall be equipped with a sufficient number of clearance lamps on
both sides and marker lamps upon the extreme ends of said projecting load to clearly mark the
dimensions of such load: Provided that vehicles designed and used exclusively for the
transportation of motor vehicles shall be permitted an overhang tolerance front or rear not to
exceed five feet. Provided, that wreckers may tow a truck, combination tractor and trailer,
trailer, or any other disabled vehicle or combination of vehicles to a place for repair, parking, or
storage within 50 miles of the point where the vehicle was disabled and may tow a truck,
tractor, or other replacement vehicle to the site of the disabled vehicle. Provided, however, that
a combination of a house trailer used as a mobile home, together with its towing vehicle, shall
not exceed a total length of 55 feet exclusive of front and rear bumpers. Provided further, that
the said limitation that no combination of vehicles coupled together shall consist of more than
two units shall not apply to trailers not exceeding three in number drawn by a motor vehicle
used by municipalities for the removal of domestic and commercial refuse and street rubbish,
but such combination of vehicles shall not exceed a total length of 50 feet inclusive of front and
rear bumpers. Provided further, that the said limitation that no combination of vehicles coupledtogether shall consist of more than two units shall not apply to a combination of vehicles
coupled together by a saddle mount device used to transport motor vehicles in a driveway
service when no more than three saddle mounts are used and provided further, that equipment
used in said combination is approved by the safety regulations of the Federal Highway
Administration and the safety rules of the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety.

(j) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the operation of self-propelled
grain combines or other farm equipment self-propelled, pulled, or otherwise, self-propelled
farm equipment with or without implements, not exceeding 25 feet in width on any highway,
except a highway or section of highway that is a fully controlled access highway or is a part of
the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. Farm equipment includes a vehicle
that is designed exclusively to transport compressed seed cotton from a farm to a gin and has a
self-loading bed. Combines or equipment which exceed 10 feet in width may be operated only
if they meet all of the conditions listed in this subsection. A violation of one or more of these
conditions does not constitute negligence per se.
…."
SECTION 2. This act becomes effective December 1, 2009, and applies to
offenses committed on or after that date.
In the General Assembly read three times and ratified this the 11th day of June,

The 10,001 lb law has been in effect for a while. I called the local weigh station several years ago and was advised that if my gross trailer weight was over 10,000 lbs I would have to stop at the weigh station. The reason the tag has to be weighted is to cover the weight of the truck itself. The dmv has a listing of vehicle weights and the tag has to be enough to cover the weight of the vehicle. They'll do anything they can to get another dollar out of us.

The 10,001 lb law has been in effect for a while. I called the local weigh station several years ago and was advised that if my gross trailer weight was over 10,000 lbs I would have to stop at the weigh station. The reason the tag has to be weighted is to cover the weight of the truck itself. The dmv has a listing of vehicle weights and the tag has to be enough to cover the weight of the vehicle. They'll do anything they can to get another dollar out of us.

The tag has to cover the weight of the vehicle and trailer, which is nothing new. Stopping at weigh stations is. There is a big difference between "any truck and trailer weighing over 10k" as the op said and "any trailer weighing over 10k" though. I think the weigh station people would look at me like I was a dipshit if I pulled in with my 16' trailer.

I found the following info on a nc weigh station law site. Note that GVWR is different from GVW. The info refers to "Commercial vehicles, not personal". One thing repeated is the suggestion that if it is a business vehicle then these laws apply.
http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/index2.cfm?a=000003,000014,000740,000795
I have a regular "First in Flight" 4,000 lb tag on my pick up truck, occasionally, I pull a utility trailer to haul my lawn mower. With the weight of my truck, trailer, and mower, exceeding 4,000 lb would I be in violation of the weight laws?
No. With a "First in Flight" tag on a pick up truck (4,000, 5,000, and 6,000 lb tags are all "First in Flight") North Carolina law allows a tolerance of up to 9,000 lb, if you are pulling a trailer.
What trucks are required to enter a North Carolina Weigh Station?
All trucks (or a truck and trailer combination) with a manufacturer?s GVWR of 10,001 lb or more are required to enter a Weigh Station in North Carolina.

Looking at the following link I copied what looks to be important to those of us that are non-comercial folks.

http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/Index2.cfm?a=000003,000014,000740,000795

"What does "GVWR" mean?

GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. GVWR is the rating applied by a vehicle manufacturer, and represents the maximum total weight of vehicle, cargo, people, fuel, and other fluids together.

How is GVWR used?

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the method used to determine whether a vehicle is subject to regulation. (i.e. Log Book, CDL requirements,etc.) In the absence of a GVWR, or if the vehicle has been structurally altered to carry more weight, actual gross weight, or license (tag) weight may be used in determining if the vehicle is subject to the federal regulations.

I'm confused. I've heard some people say that a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more makes a vehicle subject to the regulations, others say 26,001 lbs. Can you help clear this up?
Vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more used as part of a business (including a non-profit organization) and crosses state lines, are considered commercial motor vehicles for purposes of most of the safety regulations. This applies to single vehicles (trucks and vans) and to combinations of vehicles (such as a truck pulling a trailer or other equipment). At 26,001 lb. and above GVWR, additional requirements also apply (Commercial Driver's License and Drug and Alcohol Testing). In addition, vehicles that carry hazardous materials and certain passenger carrying vehicles are considered commercial regardless of GVWR.

I've never heard of these regulations before. Are they new?

No. The safety regulations at the 10,001 lb. GVWR level have been in the Federal Regulations for decades".

Back