New to me Wreckluse and lots of questions

hscrugby

OK, so I picked up a wreckluse chasis, with the description of "three link" done in front.
I assumed I could figure it out, while I'm not familiar with RC crawlers,
Links are links right? I mean, if I can figure it out on a 1:1, I got this. (I was wrong)
Anyway, I can't figure out how to mount the 4 link in the back, or what to mount the shock to etc.
And the odd ball "three link" in the front, looks to be a very odd setup with the disadvantages of a track bar, and poor triangulation. Anyway, here are some pics, maybe someone can chime in with something I'm missing? I guess I can just start over, but I'd rather not. :)
ai783.photobucket.com_albums_yy113_hscrugby_Wreckluse_2012_03_21135838.jpg

This is from above, you can see the track bar, the one upper link going to the top, and then the one lower link goes? maybe mounted between the same mounts the shock goes?
ai783.photobucket.com_albums_yy113_hscrugby_Wreckluse_2012_03_21160920.jpg

an angle of the front
ai783.photobucket.com_albums_yy113_hscrugby_Wreckluse_2012_03_21160929.jpg

The rear has an odd mount/shelf on the top. But I'm guessing the 2 lower links go in the sideways holes along with the shocks maybe?
ai783.photobucket.com_albums_yy113_hscrugby_Wreckluse_2012_03_21161012.jpg

Or would the shocks get mounted up above? and the links be the only thing in that lower mount?
ai783.photobucket.com_albums_yy113_hscrugby_Wreckluse_2012_03_21161036.jpg

Here is another shot of the front, I assumed the top of the shock would go to the holes on the top of the chasis, but if I mount them there, and in the only apparently mount point on the axle, they will hit the chasis constantly.
ai783.photobucket.com_albums_yy113_hscrugby_Wreckluse_2012_03_21161109.jpg

Should I assume that it never really worked as it is, and start over? or am I just missing something really obvious?

That shelf is for a rear steer servo. As far as mounts for shock I'm gonna assume they did mount on the links frt and rr since there arnt any mounts on the axle.

yea, got the rear working "decent"
I don't like the shocks I have at all, and I think I might lengthen the rear some.
the front I'm scrapping the crap he has with this god awful three link that has so much movement and just doesn't work.
Going to a "normal" 4 link. Just need to find/make some links.

I made my Wraith links with Traxxas rod ends and 8-32 threaded rod sleeved with 1/4 OD .040 wall alluminum tubing. Pretty solid and cheap. I got maybe $15 in the 4 lowers.

Those are ax-10 axles. So the shelf you are referring to is intended for a servo up front and originally didn't have anything on the rear axles. The aftermarket and do it yourself ears started mounting 4 link plates to them on the rear. Yes you can mount a servo on the rear also. My favorite aftermarket 4 link plate is the benders one. Swx I do believe. On the axel the lower links were intend to be mounted beside the shocks in between those ears comming off of the axle.

yea. he added this plate:
ai783.photobucket.com_albums_yy113_hscrugby_Wreckluse_2012_03_23140543.jpg

For the servo and a weird setup like a stock TJ with a track bar and everything that just didn't seem to work for crap.
Now I need to figure out, 1 how to remove that plate and 2 how to mount the upper links or link for the front and rear, since I was using that shelf to mount the upper links in the rear.
Argggghhh
And when I took a break to go solder the battery connector onto the stupid ESC, I burned the ever holy crap out of my finger.
(and then dropped the soldering iron onto the connector while cursing, so ruined the connector in addition to my finger)
Some days.

(Edit: ignore the Ken doll head. The 5 yr old has now brought all of her dolls down trying to find one that will fit and look different)

Well, got the plate out of the way, "fab'd" up a battery tray, got the links, found out just hobbies did NOT get my driveshafts in after telling me they'd be here Thursday at the latest. Grrrrrrr.
So earliest I'll have shafts is tuesday.
Since I have time I think I'm going to go for a better solution for the front links. Might even swap the axle center sections BACK around so the front can use the "stock" three link setup.

Grrr. Still waiting on driveshafts and another receiver (pulled the receiver from my RC10t) from local shop. Is it rude to just tell them forget it and order them online? they were supposed to be in last tuesday, then last thursday, now they "aren't sure" and won't give me any idea. Ideally I'd like to get stuff from them, so they'll be there, but this is getting annoying. :)

Back