New Hobby - RC Flying

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
Yea, I know. It's not 4x4, but it is off the road. Anyway, a friend was clearing out some stuff and offered me 3 rc planes and 2 controllers. All 3 planes are mostly there. Need to buy another receiver and should be good, though one receiver/esc is on 27mhz so it'll probably get replaced too. The one with the Grey prop is a brushless setup, the others are both brushed with gearbox. Red one is pretty rough, so I'll use it to learn I guess.

Anybody else here fly rc?

20221108_125111.jpg

20221108_131342.jpg

We had line control planes when I was a kid. There was an rc group that got together not far from us and we went to watch some 30 years ago. Wanted one ever since but the last thing I need is another expensive hobby.

I'm not in the hobby...but there's a group that rents/owns property right next to my hunting property. Group's name is Aeromodelers...and there is a guy on here that was/is an active member with them, but can't remember who.

A buddy of mine bought a kit, built the plane and crashed it within seconds after take-off. He fixed the plane and the same thing happened the second time. Plane went in the garbage can and he went back to building 4x4's, LOL.

I'm not in the hobby...but there's a group that rents/owns property right next to my hunting property. Group's name is Aeromodelers...and there is a guy on here that was/is an active member with them, but can't remember who.

It was me, but I have not flown in over a year. I really need to go fly some of them, that and sell some more.... I have thinned down my hanger, probably only have about 20 now :-D

In my defense, I have $0 in quite a few of the planes I own, so that helps.

It was me, but I have not flown in over a year. I really need to go fly some of them, that and sell some more.... I have thinned down my hanger, probably only have about 20 now :-D

In my defense, I have $0 in quite a few of the planes I own, so that helps.

Now I know who to talk to when I need a new plane on the cheap

Yea, I know. It's not 4x4, but it is off the road. Anyway, a friend was clearing out some stuff and offered me 3 rc planes and 2 controllers. All 3 planes are mostly there. Need to buy another receiver and should be good, though one receiver/esc is on 27mhz so it'll probably get replaced too. The one with the Grey prop is a brushless setup, the others are both brushed with gearbox. Red one is pretty rough, so I'll use it to learn I guess.

Anybody else here fly rc?

View attachment 384805

View attachment 384806
If you're worried about insurance costs and grocery bills, the smartest thing you can do is sell those puppies before you go down the rabbit hole. This is true of ANY r/c hobby, honestly. They will $10/20/50 dollar you to death.

If you're worried about insurance costs and grocery bills, the smartest thing you can do is sell those puppies before you go down the rabbit hole. This is true of ANY r/c hobby, honestly. They will $10/20/50 dollar you to death.

You mean like offroading, ham radio, shooting, hunting, ect?

Best advice I can give is get a simulator, or get someone to help you. You WILL crash if you try flying without knowing what you are doing. Setting up the radio to make sure all the surfaces are going to correct direction, CoG, various stuff that make a huge difference.

I have a Dxe transmitter I would sell with a plane if you want something 2.4ghz.

Best advice I can give is get a simulator, or get someone to help you. You WILL crash if you try flying without knowing what you are doing. Setting up the radio to make sure all the surfaces are going to correct direction, CoG, various stuff that make a huge difference.

I have a Dxe transmitter I would sell with a plane if you want something 2.4ghz.

Thanks. Ill look into a simulator, but the guy that gave them to me is helping me along as well. There is also a club a few minutes from the house. The planes came with a DX4e radio, as well as a 27mhz radio.

Dx4 is sufficient. If you continue into it and get nicer planes you will want to get something like a dx6 (nx6 now I think). I have a nx10 and a dx6. I keep the dx6 in case my boys ever want to fly some. Facebook marketplace is a great place to buy planes and stuff. Don't buy anything new for awhile. It hurts less to crash a used plane.

Dx4 is sufficient. If you continue into it and get nicer planes you will want to get something like a dx6 (nx6 now I think). I have a nx10 and a dx6. I keep the dx6 in case my boys ever want to fly some. Facebook marketplace is a great place to buy planes and stuff. Don't buy anything new for awhile. It hurts less to crash a used plane.
Yea this setup cost me $40 for the lot (planes were free, he had to have a little for the controller) and that's the only reason I went for it.

Back