New 4Runners

Bought 2 from Carmax.
Process is easy. Can get exactly what you want. Wont get rock bttom best deal.

If you are looking at suburbans look here. Ive bought 2 this way. They are rental cars still under manufacturer warranty. Rental Suburbans cost $150-200/day they arent rented by joyriding kids. They are rented by a group of execs in town for a business meeting or a family going on vacation.

Victory Chevrolet Charlotte

Ive found them to come off their advertised price right at 15% both times.

Right now they dont seem to have many deals, but watch their website. We bought our '14 Suburban LT2 in2014 for under 30k with 18k miles

No offense but I find it hard to believe there's a small difference compared to private party.
It costs them a lot of money to maintain that showroom, employ mechanics like your brother, advertise, pay franchise fees, insurance, etc etc.
Of course where they are surely making up their money is in the difference between what they buy a trade-in for and what the resell it at.
We lookd at buying an '08-12 Pathfinder from CM. They didn't have any that old. They gave us a price on our '10 Mazda5 to sell them... it has some body damage from dented panels, scratches etc but nothing that couldn't be made looking nice again for $1000 max (I've had estimates on it). They offered us $1500. Blue book even in bad shape was $3500. I told him to go f%ck himself.

CM makes their money on volume. From what I saw, they usually only had 1-2k between their price and what they have in them - obviously probably more or less for certain models and depending on what they paid for them at auction and what they had to do to get them ready to sell. They roll through shittons of vehicles because they can keep the price not that much higher than private party.

I wouldn't sell them my car unless I was in a hurry and needed cash. If your '10 mazda had more than average miles, then it was probably going to auction. Pretty much they only turn around and sell on lot if it's less than 10 years old and less than 100k and they can sell for at least 10k. Don't usually see much outside of that on the lot.

I went ahead and rented a 4Runner for a week. Day 1 and 100 logged miles, I’d say I’m underwhelmed. Seats I didn’t think were uncomfortable, just unsupportive. It’s pretty much been everything else I don’t like. The particular one is a gutless turd, I feel like my foot is on the floor to get it going anywhere. Which I assume correlates to the mpg’s not being any better than the larger SUV’s I’m looking at. It drives drives like the brick it looks like. By comparison to the expy/Tahoe/Yukon/suburban...I was expecting the 4Runner to be significantly more nimble than the others, and I’d venture to say it’s not. Last gripe is, fit and finish...everything just feels and looks cheap in comparison to the Ford/GM. The wife hasn’t driven it yet, but I got the answer I was looking for.

D6598D77-3B57-484F-83C1-5AE4B358DB82.jpeg
02A7F49D-B2AB-44B3-9923-2C83A589615C.jpeg

My cousin was trying to decide between new 4Runner and Grand Cherokee. She never drive a 4Runner but we were told the same about them being underpowered. She has a '17 GC Overland.

I'm guessing you need the larger interior, but have you considered the 03-09 4runners? I wouldn't quite call it "nimble", but the wife's 08 with the 4.0 v6 is fun enough to drive, averages 18mpg with mixed driving (real world, hand calc'd numbers), and has been rock solid reliable for the 4 years we've owned it (minus 1 dead battery, did I mention Toyota batteries suck?).

I'm guessing you need the larger interior, but have you considered the 03-09 4runners? I wouldn't quite call it "nimble", but the wife's 08 with the 4.0 v6 is fun enough to drive, averages 18mpg with mixed driving (real world, hand calc'd numbers), and has been rock solid reliable for the 4 years we've owned it (minus 1 dead battery, did I mention Toyota batteries suck?).

If it were for me...I’d have no issues going with something older. But also if it were for me, I’d be looking at something else anyway. But it’s moot at this point, wife drove it, was a lot more comfortable driving something ‘big’ than she thought she’d be. Her assessment was the same as mine...unprompted...even said ‘her edge was more fun to drive’. Between the two of us, we’ve put 750 miles on it, and her pick is ‘she wants the same expedition we rented 6 months ago’. I’m good with that, but want to get her some more seat time in a Tahoe/Yukon before we make a final decision. Hopping on car gurus, looks like there are plenty of 2-3 year old, mid-level trimmed Expeditions/Tahoe’s/Yukon’s, in the 30,000mile range for $25-30k.

Back