Need ir led light bar

snappy

YHDG's adopted son!!!
Need cube or 10" led light bar that is ir rather than white or orange.... Working on a cool little project....

OK I'm stoopid.....what is "ir" I could tell it was red but didn't know why it was called ir

There's a big difference between an infrared light like Braxton posted and a red light filter. Ones visible to the human eye and ones not. are you just looking for a red filter?

There's a big difference between an infrared light like Braxton posted and a red light filter. Ones visible to the human eye and ones not. are you just looking for a red filter?

X2. I have not seen a cover that will change the wavelength that much, but I could be mistaken. Visible light is 380-780nm. You need something 780-300,000 nm spectrum. Most are 850nm.

I dont know that Rigid has any IR lights.

I have access to some really nice night vision googles...View attachment 169181

EOTech also makes a nice NV sight attachment that works really well even with ambient light.

From what I saw, it basically super charges them. makes a huge difference....adds available light without being seen.

X2. You can use the available light as NVGs pick up the full spectrum. Any light you can add to the mix will make it all that much birghter.

X2. I have not seen a cover that will change the wavelength that much, but I could be mistaken. Visible light is 380-780nm. You need something 780-300,000 nm spectrum. Most are 850nm...

x2

A red lens will just filter out all but the red wavelength of light. I was thinking he just needed a color that wouldn't affect his night vision.

Cant say I know how the glasses work!:)

From what I saw, it basically super charges them. makes a huge difference....adds available light without being seen.

Ok I gotcha but if you just throw a cover over a regular light it will be seen by animals also.

Hmmmm...

I went looking for this answer and found this. I knew Bees see ultraviolet but I found the other stuff fascinating!

ANIMALTHE COLORS THEY SEE
SPIDERS (jumping spiders)ULTRAVIOLET AND GREEN
INSECTS (bees)ULTRAVIOLET, BLUE, YELLOW
CRUSTACEANS (crayfish)BLUE AND RED
CEPHALOPODS (octopi and squids)BLUE ONLY
FISHMOST SEE JUST TWO COLORS
AMPHIBIANS (frogs)MOST SEE SOME COLOR
REPTILES (snakes)SOME COLOR AND INFRARED
BIRDSFIVE TO SEVEN COLORS
MAMMALS (cats)TWO COLORS BUT WEAKLY
MAMMALS (dogs)TWO COLORS BUT WEAKLY
MAMMALS (rabbit)BLUE AND GREEN
MAMMALS (squirrel)BLUES AND YELLOWS
MAMMALS (primates-apes and chimps)SAME AS HUMANS
MAMMALS (African monkeys)SAME AS HUMANS
MAMMALS (South American monkeys)CAN'T SEE RED WELL
Cite | View attachment 169255 Send | View attachment 169256 Print

This. There may be some small amount of IR light emitted from a standard LED if you used a proper filter (not just a red color cover). You need IR emitting LEDs 850nm+. The higher the wavelength, the more invisible it is but you need to know what the cutoff is on the NVGs. 850 is still somewhat visible, but may be good enough for what you want to use it for.

The power of the LEDs in combo with the lens configuration will give you range. Most commercially available IR light heads have naked LEDs, a cone-shaped 'projector' to control the light direction, or each LED will have it's own lens. I've used fresnel lenses in combination with a cone projector to help with light intensity at greater ranges, but that's not a setup you will find off-the-shelf. I guess I said all that to say make sure whatever you buy will reach out far enough to be useful.

Another option may be to look at security cameras. Day/night security cameras use IR leds for the night functionality so you could just hook one of those up to generate your IR light. I *think* most of them are 12VDC.

Just google "Infrared Illuminator". Issue you will find is that they don't throw IR that far... I have a few, in addition to outdoor IR cameras and only can get about 50 ft usable range, but can see some movement at 80-100 ft.

Another thing to consider. You do have to have a light for coyote hunting. I don't think an IR emitter alone would count as a "light" since it's not visible, so if you went that route you would need a separate light source. Either way you're going to be seen.

Last edited:
Back