NC Drivers license sign test

benmack1

Dumb question but has anyone renewed their NC driving license in person recently? Just curious what is on the 'sign test'?

If I would have to guess signs are on the test.

Some signs have words on them then some are just the shape. You have to say what each sign means. I think it's a combination of 12 different signs from the list below.
NCDMVRoadSigns.png

If I would have to guess signs are on the test.

Some signs have words on them then some are just the shape. You have to say what each sign means. I think it's a combination of 12 different signs from the list below. View attachment 386826

While this is the exact correct answer, I'll paypal you $5 if you just call them all stop signs

While this is the exact correct answer, I'll paypal you $5 if you just call them all stop signs
No, call them all information signs.

Which is technically true

Don't they do the thing where they show a white rectangle or yellow triangle or whatever and you have to say what kind of sign it would be?

Dumb question but has anyone renewed their NC driving license in person recently? Just curious what is on the 'sign test'?
Renewed in September. Vision test only. "Can you see the 3rd line?"
"No.. I'm fookin blind and have glaucoma"
" Ok.. please pose for the picture "

I always got tagged by the railroad crossing. It is something like "cautionary sign" or something. Last time my dad was at the DMV he came out and was like "I got it all right but missed one sign." I was like "railroad sign, wasn't it." Yup, sure was. :lol:

Is this explanation really necessary?
1670432183572.png

I mean the sign literally says, "Do not stop on tracks".

Thanks for the comments. I know it seemed like a dumbass question and frankly it really is but I have to drive 2 damn hours to Mt. Airy to renew my Class A license (can't do online) so I don't want to do this twice if I fubar it. The DMV are taking appointments out into March right now at most places so I grabbed this one as the closest in time a few weeks ago. Anyway, I seemed to recall a renewal many years ago that the signs were just the 3 different shaped ones (school crossing, do not pass and the round RR sign where they showed blank shapes and you had to recall what they were. Seems useless since the whole point in the sign is to tell you something, not test your damn memory (oh shit, I thought it was a school crossing but got t-boned by Am-Trak). Anyway, I was just curious if anyone actually went down and took said test and had any info on what I should make sure I am familiar with. I hope the @CasterTroy experience is what I find that they just want their $44 bucks and move on. Also, for what it's worth i really expected more shenanigan type answers from this crowd when i totally set myself up with a dumb question. :driver:

3 different shaped ones (school crossing, do not pass and the round RR sign where they showed blank shapes and you had to recall what they were
This

Thanks for the comments. I know it seemed like a dumbass question and frankly it really is but I have to drive 2 damn hours to Mt. Airy to renew my Class A license (can't do online) so I don't want to do this twice if I fubar it. The DMV are taking appointments out into March right now at most places so I grabbed this one as the closest in time a few weeks ago. Anyway, I seemed to recall a renewal many years ago that the signs were just the 3 different shaped ones (school crossing, do not pass and the round RR sign where they showed blank shapes and you had to recall what they were. Seems useless since the whole point in the sign is to tell you something, not test your damn memory (oh shit, I thought it was a school crossing but got t-boned by Am-Trak). Anyway, I was just curious if anyone actually went down and took said test and had any info on what I should make sure I am familiar with. I hope the @CasterTroy experience is what I find that they just want their $44 bucks and move on. Also, for what it's worth i really expected more shenanigan type answers from this crowd when i totally set myself up with a dumb question. :driver:
My class A (CDL) cost me near 180$ last year with all the endorsements.

Done! Just closing the loop in case anyone has to do this as well. First, the examiner had never seen a Class A non-commercial DL before. I'm guessing myself and 2 other people in the entire state are dumb enough to actually go through with getting it to try and be legal. Anyway, he had a little trouble understanding what I had at first and tried to renew me as a CDL which of course wouldn't fly in the system. Vision test was to read top line in the view finder. Sign test was to read 12 signs to him (9 I think were various signs with markings, obvious stuff) with the last 3 being the School crossing, no passing and RR Crossing with blanks since they are the yellow signs with odd shapes. Then I had to identify number boxes in yellow, red and green. That was it but had to actually show up to renew, could not do online like a class C. The appointments are rediculously far out in time to schedule in my opinion. It always pisses me off when the gov wants to regulate something but is unable to handle what they want to oversee. Right now depending on location its the end of Jan or more likely March to find an appointment. You can do walk-up but it will take forever as they now have appointments all day that they prioritize over walk-ins.

Back