N.C, Emissions laws?

BYRDRACER32

Anyone know whats the deal with the new laws? Hearing 95 and older don't have to have sniffer done any more but they still have to have all the parts that came on it,but they only have to apear to work? this makes no sense!:confused:

When they expanded the testing to new counties, it was cost prohibitive to require inspection stations to buy equipment to sniff old cars *and* OBD check 96+ MY cars. So they're just requiring the newer cars to plug in.

But you still have to have all the emissions equipment that came on the vehicle from the factory. That's federal law.

When I had my 83 Suburban done last month they didn't even look under the hood. Just the horn, lights, etc... I didn't know if something changed or the guy didn't care.

'96 and newer get the OBD II inspection. Vehicles that are 25 years or older do not have to be sniffed in the emission counties. Vehicles that are 35 years or older are not required to have an inspection.;) So if your vehicle is between a '95-'82 and you live in an emission controlled county, your still required to meet the emission standards. But if your vehicle is '81-'72 your vehicle is only required to meet the standard safety inspection. '71 and older vehicles are not required to have a sticker, but they are supposed to meet the safety inspection standards.

Nine more months and I get to scrape the sticker off my rig!!!:beer:

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
'96 and newer get the OBD II inspection. Vehicles that are 25 years or older do not have to be sniffed in the emission counties. Vehicles that are 35 years or older are not required to have an inspection.;) So if your vehicle is between a '95-'82 and you live in an emission controlled county, your still required to meet the emission standards. But if your vehicle is '81-'72 your vehicle is only required to meet the standard safety inspection. '71 and older vehicles are not required to have a sticker, but they are supposed to meet the safety inspection standards.
Nine more months and I get to scrape the sticker off my rig!!!:beer:

Nothing personal but,

Where can I verify this?

I just have to be absolutely sure of this before I do what I'm about to do, now that I heard that I don't need an inspection for my trail rig...

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/chapter7/vehicleInspection.html
This is straight from the DMV handbook about the emission part. The shop at the end of my road gave me a copy of the form he had about the safety exemption, I'll have to go dig it up. But any inspection station should be able to confirm this info.

Here is another link with info on the safety inspection.
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/inspectionlaw.htm

You have my curiousity up now, what are you fixing to do?

I used to be an inspector and part of what bucketobolts said is true. anything 95 and older is no longer required to have an emission inspection in any county. (I live in raleigh and my '84 got a safety inspection in Jan.) Anything from '72 and older is now exempt from all inspections. The '95 and older stuff is still required to have everything on it that it came with from the factory and it supposed to look operational. That doesn't mean they are going to check to see if your air pump is working or whatnot. That is not to say the inspector is going to look for it. (I wouldn't just so long as the lights work and it is generally a safe vehicle.) No bald tires, leaking P/S or brake fluid. That sort of thing, within common sense.

Byrdracer32, When has the government EVER done ANYTHING that made sense? They figure if it's there and appears opperational, it probably is. Not every one wants to modify their vehicles like we do so the few that have parts that don't work slip through the cracks or they run so lousy the people get them fixed or get rid of the vehicle cause it isn't worth fixing. I'm just glad they did away with the sniffer test alltogether. (And so is every other state inspector out there.) The test and equipment was such a pain in the ass to deal with.

If you own anything '72 and older you can do anything you want to it. (The logic behind this is that there aren't very many vehicles that old out there anymore so it's not worth the hassle.)

Aaron871 You can ask your freindly inspector and he will tell you the same thing. I recommend Jiffylube on Capital Blvd at Plantation Square. Ask for the manager. He is an inspector and real friendly. Can't remember his name though.

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/chapter7/vehicleInspection.html
This is straight from the DMV handbook about the emission part. The shop at the end of my road gave me a copy of the form he had about the safety exemption, I'll have to go dig it up. But any inspection station should be able to confirm this info.
Here is another link with info on the safety inspection.
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/inspectionlaw.htm
You have my curiousity up now, what are you fixing to do?
My junk is built from a 1967 M-715. It still bears the origonal Cab and Frame. I have a title for it, but never got it registered because of the inspection. I was going to title it in another state, but not if I don't need to get an inspection in NC anymore.
The way I am reading that law, I will need to get an "Antique" lisence plate. Sounds spendy...
Can you imagine the field day a state trooper would have pulling this thing over?
akoanwood.com_gallery_albums_Callalante_202_16_06_IMG_0057.JPG

"why, yes officer, I'm certain that it's legal to use beer kegs as fuel cells"

Wouldn't a 1972 model still need to be inspected this year? That would be awful handy for me to be sure of - I thought it was next year that I would be exempt...

Moorefield gave me a copy of a letter (oFFical looking NC letterhead) stating the same some months back. Unfortunately, the decal listing the build date on my heep has about 10 coats of paint over it and will have to wait another few months like BoB. Even though I'm pretty sure it was made in late '71, hopefully it being registered as a '72 (definitely a '72 or later model) will be all I need to cruise the safety inspection...

I chatted with my local inspector the other day. He said that we DO NOT have to have the antique tag to get the inspection exemption...but to keep any doubt out of a Trooper or DMV officers mind, to go ahead and get the tag. My 72 'Mando should be ready to roll just about just about the time we pass the Nov. 71 date on the build tag.:D

I'm pretty sure mine was March of 72, so I guess I'll have to go ahead and get it inspected this year... as soon as I get it registered!
(As soon as it runs well enough to warrant the cost of being registered)
:)

Anyone have an idea what the cost of an "antique" tag runs? I'm 99.99% sure the state ain't gonna just give us the "extra" printing for the usual $20! :shaking:

Caver Dave said:
Anyone have an idea what the cost of an "antique" tag runs? I'm 99.99% sure the state ain't gonna just give us the "extra" printing for the usual $20! :shaking:

I'm not sure about the cost, but I think the antique tag comes with resrtictions, like no more than 500 or so miles/year (I'm not sure how that is enforced...and I'd be willing to bet that ol'Mossy doesnt have a functioning odo). Possibly other stipulations too, someone should check the ncdmv website.
I would just print the no-inspection-required regulation from the website, file it in a ziploc and keep it in the rig in case some rookie cop gives you any hassle.

I read the online document and it also states you have to have OEM emissions equipment that came with the vehicle. So I was made to believe if they wanted to they could fail you because you removed ANY of the original emissions stuff. But if you swap, the engine has to have all the stuff it came with. But who will bother checking all that?

jdubb said:
I read the online document and it also states you have to have OEM emissions equipment that came with the vehicle. So I was made to believe if they wanted to they could fail you because you removed ANY of the original emissions stuff. But if you swap, the engine has to have all the stuff it came with. But who will bother checking all that?

um yeah, I don't even know what my engine came out of????
If they pull me and decide that I need an "equipment check", I will never see the street again. My application is going to be for Uwharrie service roads, Hanging Dog Road, Downtown Monteagle, ect.

It's a chance you will take. A "Faulty Equipment" ticket gives you 30 days to correct the problems. If you get pulled again, within those 30 days, just show your first ticket to the officer. At least that's the way we did it in Michigan...

I got an antique tag for the truck last year - like Galen said, it's not necessary, but it'll hopefully avoid some roadside hassles. I'm pretty sure it was actually only $10, although maybe that was $10 on top of the regular $20 - I forget. I'll be renewing it next month, so I'm sure they'll remind me.
:)
I don't know that it has any restrictions on it, but then, I don't drive too much anyway. Nice to be exempt, though.

Back