My slow 4runner build (mild wheeler)

andrewhove

I am a freshman at the University of North Carolina and bought this car back int he winter of my senior year of high school. It's only my second car project ever so it has come with many firsts My dad (tobers) has been a great help and very supportive, I really like that we get to work on it together.

Right now I can not build the truck too big for several reasons: 1. it is my work truck for my landscaping company.
2. It is my sisters daily driver while I am at school
3. I have very little money (starving college student complex)

I was looking for one of these forever and after about 10 tries on craigslist and the like (including several hellish experiences) I found one and payed 2200 for it.

Specs (when I got it)
88 4runner
230,000 miles (rebuilt 20,000 ago)
5sp
repainted fairly recently
3in body lift
transmission acting funny (popping out)
very minor fender rust.
really good interior
22re
almost rust free
bald 31in ATs

First thing was first, I had to deal with the transmission, bought one from Justinhartness sp? for 200 and embarked on my first transmission swap. Thought I would do the clutch while I was in there and the rear main seal. After way to much time on my back in the driveway and with some help I finished that. And.... the previous owner had screwed the tranny tunnel bc he chopped it like crazy for the body lift so I had to completely re make that.

Second I hated the 3 in body lift so I cut that in half and put new bolts in. I am now considering taking it out completely but it sure is nice to work on a car that has a slight body lift.

cut off those stupid side steps (bought a pair of sliders from chase but am yet to weld them) hopefully they will be welded in the next few weeks.

here are some pictures of when I got it.
http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss354/andrewhove/?newest=1

Lots of rain+ almost bald all terains + not looking in my mirrors= unfortunate incident at uwharrie which resulted in the smashing of the rear passenger corner. so this coupled with the fact that the small amount of fender rust was spreading I decided a body work session was in order. Uncovered more rust then I thought. Welded in new sheet metal and used bondo.

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss354/andrewhove/4runner before/

ended up getting a autozone spray paint to be pretty close. sheen is a little off but hey, it looks ok. Body of truck is now 100% rust free.

I also bought some 31in dakota mud terrains bc my cousin gave me two.

Besides fixing the stupid back window and some vacuum stuff on the engine that is all I have done.

In the near future. I hope to take out the body lift, re-do the rear suspension (63s or maybe F150 springs) new shocks. and crank the torsion bar just enough to level out the front and rear. I also want to lock the back. In the near future I would also like to reduce my gearing via 4.7s or dual cases. for now staying with IFS is the plan bc of $$$ but eventually id like to SAS, for now I will just slowly get a few parts.

Thanks for looking and all input would be greatly appreciated. I am going to keep plugging away at the project until I have a decent trail vehicle.

Thanks to all the people who I have bought/received parts from and have given me a whole lot of help. Chase and Jon at ECGS have been great and John Craven (JC) has been really patient with me and taught me a lot. Thanks!

Nice start!
I drive to unc every day in my 85, so if you notice a white one on 34 LTB's and the top/doors off it's just me riding around, yell something out and i'll give you a lift to class/dorm.
You on south or north campus?

you can give me your seats,center consul and the incl meter :flipoff2:

SAS it!!

Nice start!
I drive to unc every day in my 85, so if you notice a white one on 34 LTB's and the top/doors off it's just me riding around, yell something out and i'll give you a lift to class/dorm.
You on south or north campus?

yeah I saw yours a few weekends ago, you were driving down raleigh street. I live on north in Connor community. How many NC4x4 people go to UNC it would be cool to get a trip to UNF before it closes for winter.

yeah I saw yours a few weekends ago, you were driving down raleigh street. I live on north in Connor community. How many NC4x4 people go to UNC it would be cool to get a trip to UNF before it closes for winter.
I don't actually go to unc, i just visit the girlfriend in spencer; but i'd be down for URE almost anytime.
What are you planning on doing to your rig next? If you need any help let me know, I also have a lift/stick welder/torch/basic shop stuff etc at home in pittsboro that is open if you need it.

I don't actually go to unc, i just visit the girlfriend in spencer; but i'd be down for URE almost anytime.
What are you planning on doing to your rig next? If you need any help let me know, I also have a lift/stick welder/torch/basic shop stuff etc at home in pittsboro that is open if you need it.

I will be welding the sliders soon. After that because my rear is sagging and the springs are almost flat I will probably do a rear spring swap. might be 63's. did one on a friends truck, pretty straight forward. I am collecting parts now. I have a small mig welder but if I do anything crazy I will give you a shout. thanks for the offer!

haha if you happen to have a spare grand or two pass it my way but if not I can't afford it right now.

a sas costs under $900... check my build thread
if you just start buying the little odds and ends you will have everything in no time.

axle
hi steer
hangers
brake lines
etc...

Back