My C2500 tow rig

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
The RV is finally gone so i figured i should post up some pics of the new tow rig...
Its a 1995 C2500 454/4L80e has the 8600# package. 8lug, 14b semi. It has a work/utility body on it. Its got coolers on everything.
Rig shows 346k on the clock :) I knew when I got it it was a basket case but the price was right. I bought it thinking the engine was junk and the tranny would only get me home..
Engine - actually checks and has good compression, and oil pressure, it appears to have been swaped.
Tranny - been swaped, has non-oem converter (med. bright blue) but its leaking a little the other day when it was cold, i think from the front seal.. It seems to have stopped, but i plan to do some work on the tranny anyway.
Axle - plan to swap in a 14B FF.
Misc - changed wiper motor, need to change the left wiper transmission.
Installed new thermostat, and CTS (coolant temp sensor) truck was running a little rich until it was very warmed up.. Noticed, better running immediately.
I also replaced all the plastic vacuum lines with rubber ones, also making a difference. Thats when i found the vaccume plunger gizmo that controls the high idle was leaking causing the idle to be high at weird times.
Anyway some pics...
1995-C2500-01.jpg

This one came pre-numbered for me, note #25 in front of the drivers mirror :flipoff2: I can say with out a doubt, based on my extensive research effort, that swaping vehicles never pays off :)

I gave $1900 for the truck, and while its not perfect, its address the negative points of the 'other chevy 2500' I had (my bro loves his nice rust free truck in NY) Those were: Its longer, has the big brake package, decient automatic..

That and its very easy to fix, parts are dirt cheep and i like this body style.. the 95s were the first year for the newer dash style but still the last year NOT needing the be emmisions tested.. Plus I have the stuff to tune/burn PCM chips for some tweeks.. So far were are 12 mpg and that was before I did the sensors and vacume hoses.. I'm shooting for 10 towing anything more is gravy...

Utility box - Im still undecided, i figuered id tow with it as is.. Its nice having the extra 1100# sitting on the back, but at the same time im already loading more crap in the compartments.. For a towrig its probbaly not a big deal, but it would hurt as a DD.. If i did swap it would be to a flat bed, and id hang some smaller underslung boxes twords the front..

so what are you camping plans now? back to some sort of sleeper on a trailer?

I sold my lil-pete sleeper a while ago, and that size low tops are very hard to find... Wish I had hung on to that now :(

can you say T-E-N-T :) ill rig up some sort of tarp contraption :) or make friends with people who have bigger budgets than me...

can you say T-E-N-T :) ill rig up some sort of tarp contraption :) or make friends with people who have bigger budgets than me...

hhahhaha I better watch out .. hmm maybe I need to start renting out my extra bed :)

Back