Mounting beadlocks.

amcjeepman

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
I haven't ran into this before but the inside diameter of my tires bead is smaller than the lip on the rim. Tried working it around but it wouldn't seat all the way around. Trimmed the inner edge slightly but it's not enough. I can take a little off of the rim but would rather not.
Anyone else delt with this?
Suggestions.
IMG_20240102_100030090.jpg
IMG_20240102_100035250.jpg
IMG_20240102_100037432.jpg

I had that happen before. Put it on a 5gallon bucket, spray it with soapy water and beat on the bead with a mallet and it SHOULD pop down in it. It looks like you have a gap on the opposite side of the bead. It's like a game of millimeters it seems.

Last edited:
Will never work. You should just give me the wheels and tires so you don't have to deal with it anymore.

Will never work. You should just give me the wheels and tires so you don't have to deal with it anymore.
In a couple of months James can get them back from you fully mounted and unused as we know that you will never wheel with them.

Have you tried squishing them on with the ring? Seems like they might pop on with enough lube and some opposing pressure.

I haven't ran into this before but the inside diameter of my tires bead is smaller than the lip on the rim. Tried working it around but it wouldn't seat all the way around. Trimmed the inner edge slightly but it's not enough. I can take a little off of the rim but would rather not.
Anyone else delt with this?
Suggestions. View attachment 409882View attachment 409883View attachment 409884
I had soapy up my mickeys and use a rubber mallet to get them to seat on my beadlocks. It was a tight fit.

I had that happen before. Put it on a 5gallon bucket, spray it with soapy water and beat on the bead with a mallet and it SHOULD pop down in it. It looks like you have a gap on the opposite side of the bead. It's like a game a millimeters it seems.
The last set I mounted on KMC beadlocks I used a screwdriver to pry the direction I needed it to go, and a mallet to force it down.

I was going to ask why not use a HF tire iron and work it out and down?

I have a couple of these and they work well. They will bend but they are cheap and work.

I had this problem with one out of 5 Treps I mounted on some Methods a few years ago. That tire was a spare and had sat in the shop standing upright un-mounted for quite a while. I think it caused it to be slightly out of round.

Get some slightly longer bolts and some oversized washers. Get the tire started down over the lip on one side and use the bolts and washers to hold it in place as you work your way around the wheel adding more bolts and washers as you go. Once you get it on all the way around it should stay long enough to take the bolts out and get the ring on. I cussed for hours fighting that one tire until I figured that trick out.

I was going to ask why not use a HF tire iron and work it out and down?

I have a couple of these and they work well. They will bend but they are cheap and work.
Yeah i'm thinking you've not had this issue. Because tire irons cannot help in this situation. That lip is so small and the tolerances won't allow. I even tried to use painters tool, and it was too thick
Get some slightly longer bolts and some oversized washers. Get the tire started down over the lip on one side and use the bolts and washers to hold it in place as you work your way around the wheel adding more bolts and washers as you go. Once you get it on all the way around it should stay long enough to take the bolts out and get the ring on. I cussed for hours fighting that one tire until I figured that trick out.
This is the only solution I found that works

Yeah i'm thinking you've not had this issue. Because tire irons cannot help in this situation. That lip is so small and the tolerances won't allow. I even tried to use painters tool, and it was too thick

This is the only solution I found that works
Nope just dealt with H1 rims and regular rims.

Nope just dealt with H1 rims and regular rims.
What James is dealing with is especially frustrating because

1. you've spent good money on beadlocks, why am I having this problem
2. this makes no logical sense....WHY am I considering taking a blade to my expensive ass tire bead :mad:
3. I'm smarter than this....why can't I figure this out

2. this makes no logical sense....WHY am I considering taking a blade to my expensive ass tire bead :mad:
Exactly! Very few things in the shop have made me as mad as I was that day wrestling that tire/wheel around.

Exactly! Very few things in the shop have made me as mad as I was that day wrestling that tire/wheel around.
Glad I asked suggested... Note to self buy them mounted..... ;)

Looks like you need to call Mickey 330-928-9092

Pretty much it.
I've done a few different sets of beadlocks and different brands of tires. First time I've seen this.
I have a few different things to try now but will probably wait until warmer weather.
Several shops and others with experience replied to my Insta post that this was not uncommon with the Mickey's.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Back