motor problems

Exploderpilot

I got a 97 Explorer with a SOHC 4.0 and it started knockin recently. I am thinking the plastic timing chian guides are the culprit. Sounds like a rattling knock at low rpms and dies off about 2000rpm.

I took it to my mechanic and just the labor on replacing the timing chain guides is $1700.

My other scenario is a bearing in the bottom end of the motor. But since i know very little of motor internals i dont know where to start. Overhauling the motor would run me about the same price as the timing chain guides.

The third option is to buy a reman motor from Jasper or similar company.

Now my question is to those with motor experience. What can a knock and rattle at low RPM's in the bottom end of the motor and quiet down as the rpm's go up. If it helps the motro was running smooth and quiet up till about wednesday when i started hearing the noise.

ohhh boy, we just did one of these the other week at work. A tooon of labor and yes it is very expensive. when we called Ford about it they told us that they just dont bother with it and put a new engine in.

Not sure if I would be ready to replace the whole engine yet. Is the knock from the bottom half of the engine? If so the crankshaft could be worn. Do you have anyone around you who knows anything about engines? If you know anyone with this knowledge and have a place to remove the engine and time it can be done and rebuilt for less than $1,700.00. As long as you keep oil in it and it's the crank I wouldn't be to worried about it. I've seen some jeeps do this and run close to 250,000. I know it's not the same engine but watch it and make sure it's not something else.

We had the timing guides done on the 98 under the owner notification program deal. It takes them about 5-6 hrs to do, and if it's within the extended coverage period, it's free.

More likely, one of the serp pulleys is dying.

i checked all the external parts for knocking with a mechanics stethascope.

Then i started poking around the block with it.

The sound is loudest at the back right(passenger) side of the motor and is loudest about 3/4 of the way down the bellhousing on the transmission.

I checked back through my maintence records and Ford replaced the Timing chain guides at 32,000 miles. I have roughly 145,000 on it now. I am taking it to my uncles service station to let him listen to it. He knows a little about motors and thier internals.

Pass side timing chain runs up the back PS of the motor from the cam to the jack shaft.

Back