More Bureaucratic BS

Granny

One day at a time...
- Wonder why they were searching her lunchbox in the first place - "possibly looking for drugs"

- And why would such a good student be associated with possible drug possession @ school?

- Also, why is this being published so long after the fact?

That is sad. Times have changed quickly. Im only 28 ~ graduated HS 10 years ago. I carried an old timer 3 blade pocket knife every day to school. Most of my teachers knew I carried it. It was not a weapon, it was a tool. During hunting season, it was very possible that there was a rifle or shotgun behind the seat in my truck. A lot of my buddies did the same thing. Hunt before school, go to school, go back to the field after school. The teachers knew us and knew that we wouldnt harm anybody. I guess the Columbine shootings changed the outlook.

- Wonder why they were searching her lunchbox in the first place - "possibly looking for drugs"
- And why would such a good student be associated with possible drug possession @ school?
- Also, why is this being published so long after the fact?

It's a probable cause thing. Schools can't search one student without probable cause. But they can "randomly" search every other student and see what turns up.

I wanna know what happened to this philosophy:

Lee County Superintendent Jeff Moss

"When the principals conduct their investigations, what typically is fleshed out is the true intent,"

I understand the rules are the rules, but you're gonna kick a student out of school that wants to be there over the kids that are intentionally bringing drugs and weapons to school and don't want to be there. What's wrong with that picture. I say forget probable cause and profile to high hell, we all do it everyday anyway. If you don't wanna be troubled by the man, pull up your pants...pull the iron out of your face and stop trying to 'make a statement', or don't have anything on you that you shouldn't. It's about damn time people stop worrying about who gets offended, call a spade a spade for crying out loud.

disclaimer...once again speaking in generalities and yes I realize it wouldn't work in all situations, nor should it.

I'm thinking there may be something else going on in this story to warrant the punishment. This article is too vague to tell for sure. Why else would the superintendent say that he couldn't reveal all the information that led to the decision?

That school is a couple of miles down the road from me.

The Lee County schools never give a student the benefit of the doubt, and everyone is guilty in their eyes.

Now, the school system is talking a bit...seems she didn't get a year-long suspension (according to them). If she did, she needs to show the media the letter suspending her. That would settle that part (and show who's telling the truth.)

This article has the most recent version of their story: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8851902/

The school is saying that it wasn't in her lunchbox, it was in her purse. If you click on her picture, then click "next" under it, you'll see her lunchbox...it looks like a purse, so who knows. I guess dad and daughter have matching purses, then.

Right now, I don't know who to believe. I don't think the whole story is out...yet.

I graduated in 1981 from Lee County Sr. High (at that time, the only HS in our county). I carried a knife every day. Guys did keep guns in their cars, on campus, during deer season. We have gone a long way in 30 years.

I'm thinking there may be something else going on in this story to warrant the punishment. This article is too vague to tell for sure. Why else would the superintendent say that he couldn't reveal all the information that led to the decision?

that's what i was insinuating.

I always approach controversial subjects with thoughtfulness & skepticism, because things are not always as they first seem.

Ive only been outta school for 3 years, and I carried a knife about every day. Even recall once the teacher asking to borrow it to cut open some boxes. Never had any issues.
Granny, your link didn't work, but I get the jist of it, she is an attention whore, and if thats her fathers lunchbox, Im more than worried.

I do remember in Highschool they made a ban on fishhooks on hats, can't recall the reasoning.

WRAL ran an update at noon showing the paper that the student had to sign barring her from school property.

The superintendent's statement doesn't hold water.

Granny, your link didn't work,

Yeah... I just checked and the link is gone.

Fox must have figured out there's a rat in the woodpile, but it appears they're not too careful about what they print either.

This is actually getting interesting. :popcorn:

Definately somewhat interesting, apparently shes in the right and the school is trying to cover there ass. Excellent.

A good friend of mine was expelled his senior year, 96, for this kind of thing. He was a frigging drama student, not a thug or troublemaker. It was a little pocketknife, Swiss Army Classic or the like. It fell out of his pocket and the wrong person happened to see it. This was early on in the "zero tolerance" era. I remember when those laws entered schools. I think he was the first to be punished under that law at our school. It's a tough call. People bitch that the schools aren't doing enough to protect their kids, so we get blanket application of regulations. Is it right? Not in my opinion, but having a "zero tolerance" policy on something like this eliminates the ability to second-guess the schools actions. Unfortunately, he did get caught with a knife, and we all knew the consequences. You can fight to try and change the law, but as long as it's in place, everybody is to be treated equally. Why should they make an exception for a pretty white girl? If she was such an upright student, she could have approached an administrator when she discovered the mistake, and it probably would have been handled very differently. Yeah, it's BS, but that's how we have to work to make it.

Yeah, but that's just it. According to the Lee County Schools Superintendent Jeff Moss, it's not a zero tolerance policy -- the policy allows the Principal to review the exact circumstances of the situation and discipline accordingly.

In other words, it's up to the Principal how to handle the situation. And based on the facts we have now, the Principal's decision was to banish a student from campus for possessing a paring knife, which the student and her parents insist was brought to school accidentally. This, on the justification that they're making the school "safer".

Yeah, but that's just it. According to the Lee County Schools Superintendent Jeff Moss, it's not a zero tolerance policy -- the policy allows the Principal to review the exact circumstances of the situation and discipline accordingly.

In other words, it's up to the Principal how to handle the situation. And based on the facts we have now, the Principal's decision was to banish a student from campus for possessing a paring knife, which the student and her parents insist was brought to school accidentally. This, on the justification that they're making the school "safer".

Did not catch that tidbit! That casts a whole different light on the subject. I thought the zero-tolerance laws were statewide, and only got harsher with every school shooting. She still sounds, and looks, suspiscious to me, but I feel like we're missing large parts of this story.

Back