Moped rider killed by Billy Lane

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Oh this just pisses me off big time..

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060905/BREAKINGNEWS/60905003

So what if he is famous or well known...

oh and look at the DAMN title : Chopper builder hurt in fatal, head-on crash

who gives a shit if he got hurt it was his fault

the article states
Florida Highway Patrol investigators said Lane was trying to pass two other vehicles on a double yellow-lined portion of A1A when his southbound 2006 Dodge Ram pickup collided with a northbound 1983 Yamaha moped.

and then below says
investigators said no charges were filed, but added they were waiting on the results of blood-alcohol tests,

That is bullshit...if it was anyone else driving that truck they would be in jail for using there truck as a deadly weapon

aaarghh that just pissed me off this AM.

and YES I am a motorcycle rider...

Let me go ahead and get this out of the way: I don't think mopeds and bicycles should be allowed on the road.

That is the most ridiculously biased story I think I have ever read. They even mention that it was a custom painted truck, but fail to notice that Mr. Badass Chopper Builder Man was passing on a double yellow, hit another vehicle head on, and apparently was drunk enough for a BAC test. This guy is a deuchetool and should be executed.

I'm sure there will be more out of this story...

moped rant - Mopeds have several laws/rules they are to follow. In all honesty if there was more acceptance of them people wouldn't be afraid to drive them. The are a good fit for people in urban areas or otherwise don't need a car or don't care if they break 35mph top speed to get there..

To be honest I hope he goes to jail for a long time to show the TV world that motorcycle builders must abide by the same rules as everyone else..

A Lot of them have a huge head.. trust me i have met a few in person..the older builders are the more relaxed laid back ones but these young guns that are on TV are just pissing me off.. they are setting a bad example for other motorcycle riders to follow... and yes peopel will copy them because they were on TV.

Followed the link, saw the truck damage pic... That dude was hauling ass...

I don't understand the way this article was written. Sure, the cops are being quiet and not announcing charges until they're good and ready (wanna be prepared). This reporter is more concerned about the damage to the Dodge and Lane's injuries than the death of the moped driver. The moped dude could've been stone drunk, and Lane still is responsible for crossing the double yellow.

J

here is what i wrote to him:

I am just sick to my stomach with this article

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/NEWS01/609060396/1006/news01

you write about billy and how he is famous and has been on TV..but who really gives a shit..

what about the guy he killed.. I bet he was famous to someone also
might not be the fat ass americans that sit on there ass and watch billy on TV
but maybe it was his kids or only his family, i bet they loved him and thought he was just as important as billy was..

I can not believe you wrote and article about how billy is hurt and only wrote one line in the article that he KILLED a MAN..

Your are just disgusting to me..

I do not care if it will sell more copies or get more internet traffic that sir is just WRONG..

oh and if any one person had killed that man they woul be injail for using there vehicle as a deadly weapon..PERIOD

Ken Carter
Pissed off reader..

here is his response:

Ken,
I could not agree with you more. The finished product that appeared in the paper is not complete. I just hung up the phone with with the victim's family members that I tried so hard to reach yesterday. I desperately wanted to include his family's reaction as well as who this person was. Unfortunately, being a daily paper, we have to print the information we get as its available. I promise you that any followup articles will have more information about the victim in this case and the devestation his family feels. I hope you understand.
John Torres

^Sounds like a pretty heavy copout to me. Typical reporter/lawyer/politician jargon.

[mopeds] on the highway, no, but on regular streets they have just as much right to be there as you do

I know they are legally allowed, but "I" don't think they should be allowed on the road.
From what I found, this is the law:
"You must be age 16 or older to operate a moped on North Carolina highways or public vehicular areas. A driver's license is not required, and the moped does not have to be registered, inspected or covered by liability insurance. A motorcycle safety helmet is required by law when operating a moped on North Carolina highways. A moped cannot have a motor of more than 50 cubic centimeters, an external shifting device or have the capability of exceeding 30 miles per hour on a level surface."

So, here's why I have a problem with mopeds:
1. They don't have to pay taxes/insurance/license/registration/inspection.
2. They don't have to have a headlight.
3. They are limited to 30mph. Now, in NC, the statewide speed limit is 55mph unless otherwise posted. Assuming the moped is going as fast as it could go, and the driver that doesn't see the moped at night with no lights is going the speed limit, that is like the moped got hit standing still by a car going 25mph. And thats the best case scenario. Then there's the whole knocked off the road and into a tree at 30+ mph thing.
4. Since they are limited to 30mph, they hold up traffic almost everywhere, and don't have any consideration for such because they "have a right" like the large packs of bicycles at 15mph.

Mopeds wouldnt bother me as much if it wasnt for the fact that the vast majority of people who drive liquorcicles do so because they are drunks without a license anymore. I know thats not the only people who drive them but its a large part.

^Sounds like a pretty heavy copout to me.

Exactly... still no mention if *WHY* it makes a rats @$$ whether he was under the influence or not! He *did* break the law (passing on double yellow), killed someone, and the LEOs didn't so much as ticket him for the moving violation? Please... :rolleyes:

OK, I find him an arrogant @$$hole also, but that shouldn't change the circumstances...

Exactly... still no mention if *WHY* it makes a rats @$$ whether he was under the influence or not! He *did* break the law (passing on double yellow), killed someone, and the LEOs didn't so much as ticket him for the moving violation? Please... :rolleyes:
OK, I find him an arrogant @$$hole also, but that shouldn't change the circumstances...

Keep in mind, I think we may be shooting the messnger here. While clearly biased, the guy that wrotet he article was not the person who decided not to file charges. The primary blame here is on the LEOs, not the press.
Best case now is that the press gets all over it and they decide to change their minds.

Well, sometimes they wait to make one submission to the courts, esp. if the person is not a flight risk (in the hospital, famous, ass-tons of recognizable tatoos). Too many cases get fucked up by getting in a rush and being unable to handle the press. I'll let it sit a couple days before I get concerned that they weren't doing their jobs.

J

^Sounds like a pretty heavy copout to me. Typical reporter/lawyer/politician jargon.

Most of the news outlets I've worked for would print in the story... PROMINENTLY... that the family could not be reached, refused to comment, etc.

They would also note that further information will run in follow-up when it's available.

It's just PISS POOR journalism not to run down every available source for comment.

To be honest I hope he goes to jail for a long time to show the TV world that motorcycle builders must abide by the same rules as everyone else..
A Lot of them have a huge head.. trust me i have met a few in person..the older builders are the more relaxed laid back ones but these young guns that are on TV are just pissing me off.. they are setting a bad example for other motorcycle riders to follow... and yes peopel will copy them because they were on TV.
Just about all the builders have a very big head and definatly have forgot where they come from. I know one personally that is the same way (Kendall Johnson). He cant even talk to old friends since he got big.

If nothing else maybe this will cause some motorcylists to look in the mirror.

I've met a lot who see speed limits and double yellow lines as merely suggestions for those less skilled than themselves.

Run a search for "Billy Lane" at www.salisburypost.com and you will see where he was charged with DWI in Salisbury back in June when the bike show was at the fairgrounds.
That's kind of funny...I'm from Salisbury, and I remember seeing the first biker buildoff on tv when they went to the fairgrounds...and wondering WTF they were doing in Rowan Co!!!
Wonder if he made it back for his court date in August - could show up on his FL record now as a repeat offender or something...

I've met him :D
bl.jpg

So, here's why I have a problem with mopeds:
1. They don't have to pay taxes/insurance/license/registration/inspection.
2. They don't have to have a headlight.
3. They are limited to 30mph. Now, in NC, the statewide speed limit is 55mph
unless otherwise posted.

That is the GODs Honest truth, and the fact that 90% or more have no license from DUI's or DWI's.:beer:

Back