modified vs aftermarket steering pumps

I upsized all my return/cooler hoses to 1/2" 8AN and a 30 row cooler in front of the rad. I really didn't want a failure due to cheaping out so I even bought the suggested swepco steering fluid. Hopefully it will work well

I seem to remember a thread on Pirate many years ago where a guy took apart at least one PSC pump, and didn't find anything different than a regular power steering pump. I don't recall what pump model it was etc. I've always been a bit suspect of them since.

I seem to remember a thread on Pirate many years ago where a guy took apart at least one PSC pump, and didn't find anything different than a regular power steering pump. I don't recall what pump model it was etc. I've always been a bit suspect of them since.

I believe the big difference is they "blueprint" the pumps. Basically go through them and make sure the consistency is good, compared to a reman. The valve/spring combo they use matters too.

Yea that's the mean reason I made this post. Lots of internet shit talking about PSC pumps.

It’s a gear pump, not a rotary vane pump. Not internal relief, so requires external relief.

Essentially it’s a HD hydraulic pump, almost identical to what monster trucks have been running forever. Tons of flow at great pressure.

Lasts exponentially longer than rotary vane pumps.

They just don’t like over RPM, but can handle what we do no problem with correct pulley sizing.

Easy to rebuild also. Just requires some type of drive and mount to take the side load of belt tension. That’s why Scott includes a mount/shaft/bearing with his pumps. This allows pump mounting and takes the side load off the pump itself.

The couple guys that I wheel with that have them say they out perform everything else they have ever ran.

I would buy a KRC circle track pump before I bought anything PSC. At least with KRC you can change the output fitting to adjust the GPM output.

I would buy a stock WJ pump before buying a TG pump.

Scott’s pump over all other options.
Yup, I'm going Scott's pump on my new build. Another good caveat, the gear pump has suction, therefore the reservoir doesn't have to be plumbed as the utmost high point in the system as with standard pumps. Scott does recommend > 2-3 qt reservoir though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Vane pumps aren't rocket surgery. If they opened one up and the body was galled up and it was full of metal filings, that would be one thing.

Back