MEP016 3kw Military Generator Carb Swap

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Thought someone here might find this interesting.

I have had a 3kw military genset for many years....and have put over 1200 hours on it. I can't always get ethanol fuel for it when I need it, and ethanol really screws these up (like eating the foam float for one thing, and the needle seat).

These have a pretty neat little motor on them....model 4a032. 4 cylinder, 32cid horizonally opposed. Military rates at 6hp, but that is continuous duty, up to some thousand feet elevation, etc. Folk have dyno'd these at about 16-20 hp.

Anyway, I had read about using a Tecumseh carb on these, and decided to try it out. Got one for an HH60 Tecumseh (632230) and it's *almost* a bolt-in replacement. The intake side on the stock mounts at an odd angle. Rather than making a new intake elbow, or modifying the stock one, I made an adapter out of piece of 1/4" aluminum plate.

The carb I bought (sixteen bucks at amazon): Amazon.com : NEW TECUMSEH 632230 632272 H50 H60 HH60 TROY BILT HORSE TILLERS CARBURETOR : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Pic of my adapter plate:

asanlee.smugmug.com_Toys_Generators_MEP016_i_wzth6rM_0_L_20160317_170655_L.jpg

Pics of the installed carb:

asanlee.smugmug.com_Toys_Generators_MEP016_i_QdJ8S52_0_L_20160317_173120_L.jpg

asanlee.smugmug.com_Toys_Generators_MEP016_i_jQmFN9g_0_L_20160317_173111_L.jpg

Couple of other gotcha's....throttle linkage on the stock is a push rod, this needs to pull...will probably do a 180 turn with an old throttle cable. Also, you can see in the pic how it lines up with the air filter side of the connector...going to make an adapter from a chunk of 1" x 1-1/4" x 2" block of aluminum, thru drilled for the airway, and drilled and tapped each end for the mounting screws. IT has to be cut at maybe a 15 degree angle...faces aren't square to each other.

One other problem....the high speed adjustment screw is on the bottom of the bowl...had to drill a 1/2" hole in that thin aluminum plate (part of enclosure to direct cooling air around the motor). Tuning the carb will be a matter of removing/installing with each adjustment. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, picking up an NOS electronic ignition kit tomorrow, and will hopefully have a test-run on Saturday. I'll post results.

DP

Last edited:
Got it running today....works great. Primed it, choke, and fired on the first try.

For those keeping up, did another mod to the MEP-016 today. When I got it twenty or so years ago, it came with a 24 volt starter, which wasn't much good most of the time, unless I jumpered it over to my big diesel generator, which only worked if I was at home. So, I did some googling, and found a 12v starter that would fit it.

Starter is from a 1998 BMW 318i. $60 at rockauto. All you have to do is drill out the two (threaded) mounting bolt holes to 7/16", and mount with 2 bolts about 1/2" longer than stock. That's it.

I just can't leave this thing alone. I like propane, so......

I have always wondered having seen these and other gensets on surplus auctions--how accurate do you think the kw rating is? I've always figured they have to be rated pretty low or all the consumer stuff we're used to is way over rated.

It's rated 3kw.....for running 24/7, at 6000 ESL or whatever. Rated 6HP.....but the motor is 32 c.i.d., maybe a "real" 18+HP? An off the shelf 3-4 kw has what, a 4 or 5 HP?

Back