Maybe it's just me...

rattlecanpaint

But $300 seems like a lot for a clutch. Priced it at toyota. Any other ideas on where to get one. I want a quality unit but I hadn't planned on that much $. 1984 toy, 22r, replacing stock trans with a g56 when I do this. Also is there anything else I need to do when swapping the trans?

try vato zone... ive had the best luck with the luk brand clutches for stock replacement in yotas (iirc that is what came in them stock anyway)... if you're spending $300 on a yota clutch, you better be getting something better than stock... last one i bought (for my 83 wayy back in 02 or so) was under $150 for sure, maybe under $100

Yea, $150 was the max I thought I'd spend, even from Toyota. Interesting that the clutch parts for the turbo truck are cheaper from that site there John. Thanks for the link though. Guess It's off the vato zone and carquest.

Hey, thanks John. $108.99 is a lot better than $300. Clutch ordered. Now just need a nice saturday to put this whole thing together. Anyone Know what the 22rec engine was? Is that a turbo motor?

iirc, the "c" is for california as in california emissions approved... i may be wrong though... the turbo was a 22rte

91yota said:
iirc, the "c" is for california as in california emissions approved... i may be wrong though... the turbo was a 22rte

Ah, Ok, don't guess I need to worry about that! Thanks for the info.

I suggest Pepboys LUK clutch. It uses real springs instead of the rubber bushings that sevearl of the other autoparts stores sell. I have been running one in my rig (toyota w/220:1) for about 2 years now....cant beat it for $130-140.

Just my opinion
Seth

Where do they use rubber bushings? The only place I can think of is on the clutch plate (to soften the engaging (SP?)) If this clutch I get has rubber there it's going back.

Sometimes they put a rubber wrap around the springs in the clutch hub. LOOKS like a rubber bushing.

Even if they do use a rubber snubber instead of a metal spring, I am not sure that is a bad thing. I have seen plenty of hub springs break too.

Probably a crap shoot either way.

I think you said you already ordered your clutch, but for future reference - You might try.

http://www.clutchco.com

Speedy service! Clutch arrived today. The disk has two springs and four rubber bushings. Guess I'll use it and try not to get it too hot. the only thing is the release bearings appear to be different. I've Never seen any clutch kit come with just a bearing. Usually have the paddles on the sides for the fork to rest on. Does this one come apart so I can use the old (cage). (Also, will the shifters out of my original trans fit in the g56? The one I'm replacing it with does not have shifters.) Might be good to find this out before I get it apart.

Attachments

• clutch1.jpg
    clutch1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 246
  • clutch2.jpg
    clutch2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 279
On some of them you can press the centre sleeve out and press it into the new bearing.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't look like that is the case on this one.

Can you get a close pic of the other side of the bearing?
(The side that will contact the pressure plate fingers.)

You should be able to see the inner and outter if you look close. You press it out from the face side.

The shoulder on the back side bottoms against the inner race of the bearing assy.

This is the back of both bearings. I can't really see anywhere I could press the old one apart. Maybe just need to go the advance and get a new one.

Attachments

• clutch3.jpg
    clutch3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 242
  • clutch4.jpg
    clutch4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 266
rattlecanpaint said:
This is the back of both bearings. I can't really see anywhere I could press the old one apart. Maybe just need to go the advance and get a new one.
If you look at the inside of the old bearing, you will notice that it slips in that way. try pressing it out from the inside. it will come out. probably just tight.
Sorry I dont have a pic of it.

Ok, I see that it might press out, but if you look at the third pic, the part that rides on the fingers (shiny edge) is way taller on the old one. Looks to me like that might throw off the distance the slave moves. (too far if I'm thinking right.)

rattlecanpaint said:
Ok, I see that it might press out, but if you look at the third pic, the part that rides on the fingers (shiny edge) is way taller on the old one. Looks to me like that might throw off the distance the slave moves. (too far if I'm thinking right.)
I see what you are saying, but I dont think it will,
here is what I am talking about. (took me this long to do this....LOL I'm not to good at it!)
620578_73_full.jpg

IIRC my original was the same way. I have replaced it at least 3 times in the last 15 years! LOL

The parts you circled are the carrier? Cause the upper portion (shiny) spins, the inner portion that you circled doesn't.

Ok, now all I need is a press. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

rattlecanpaint said:
But $300 seems like a lot for a clutch. Priced it at toyota. Any other ideas on where to get one. I want a quality unit but I hadn't planned on that much $. 1984 toy, 22r, replacing stock trans with a g56 when I do this. Also is there anything else I need to do when swapping the trans?

Daiken full kit. About 150.00 plus tax. Good clutches. Want one? Pilot, cover, disc, release bearing and line up tool. :beer:

OEM for Toy, honda, Nissan and Mits.

I hate the rubber hub disc's, To easy to get chatter and blow the rubber out.

I pop the old bearings off with a piece of pipe the size of the collar and a vise. Install 'em with nothing more than a vise or my on car bearing press. I can loan ya the press if you want or drop by the shop and I'll press it for you.

rattlecanpaint said:
Ok, now all I need is a press. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

ya no need for a press you can just beat it off and beat it, i mean lightly press it back on.

there are 2 types of toy release bearing one is a press on and one comes already on the the thing that slides on the shaft. it appears you were given the press on type and you have the slide on type. year change was in 89 i believe. what year tranny is that old bearing from. what year is new tranny go in from.

however the bearings i have put on the press on tyoe are sllightly different form the original at times.

Cperry said:
ya no need for a press you can just beat it off and beat it, i mean lightly press it back on.
there are 2 types of toy release bearing one is a press on and one comes already on the the thing that slides on the shaft. it appears you were given the press on type and you have the slide on type. year change was in 89 i believe. what year tranny is that old bearing from. what year is new tranny go in from.
however the bearings i have put on the press on tyoe are sllightly different form the original at times.

new to me trans is from an '87. Mine is an '84. This one appears to be the press on type. The old one (off new (to me) trans) looks like it is separate piece. When I went back to toyota, they sell them as two separate pieces. My only concern is the extra hight on the old bearing versus the new one.

Also does anyone know it the shifter from a foreward shift 'case will work in a top shift 'case?

Back