Marking on steel

Jones4WD

I have been welding for a while now but I just recently started to use my torch very much and I need something that will mark/write on steel that I can see while torching. I am trying to cut out axle brackets out of 1/4 plate but I can't see the marks I made. What do you guys use? Yellow grease pencil maybe?

I'm not sure if moonstone is the same as soapstone, but its like a white chaulk, that works good, for more presicion stuff i'lll use a scribe on machinsits blue, not sure if the blue will be effected my the torch.

I cut ALOT of .25" steel plate, I have been using a Bosch jib saw with their heavy metal blades, it works great, there is minimal clean up and you can get very accurate cuts. I guess i'll keep using this until i save up enough for a plasma cutter.

Brendan

Soap Stone but I always drop or step on it, I really like the Black or Silver Paint type Sharpies as long as the surface is clean.

Hey vanguard, I use the bosch brand blades that say slow cuts on thick metal. I actually dont use any cutting oil, i just keep the speed down, this thing cuts thru the .25 plate like plywood, i have the expensive bosch saw with the bearing for the blade, also there is a setting that controls how much the saw "bites forward" i turb that to the lowest setting so the blade moves striaght up and down and doesn't "bite" forward at all

clear as mud?

Brendan

Stone and black or silver sharpies. I tried the cutting discs for my grinder like the fellows suggested over on CK-5, and man it is a lot faster and cheaper than the sawsall and blades. I quit using the sawsall for cutting steel stock.

Moonstone as mentioned or a sharp scribe, I use shooting glasses with the torch for some reason with the yellow tint it cancells out a lot of the flame an you can see really well.

Soapstone. never heard of moonstone...

or use a silver pencil. Brand: Prismacolor/Verithin #753 (Metallic Silver). These are awesome. small, lighweight, cheap, sharpens like a regular pencil, and even writes on greasy/wet steel without a problem (unlike soapstone). These even write on plastic, wood, paper, rubber, etc. etc.

Rob

rockcity said:
Soapstone. never heard of moonstone...
or use a silver pencil. Brand: Prismacolor/Verithin #753 (Metallic Silver). These are awesome. small, lighweight, cheap, sharpens like a regular pencil, and even writes on greasy/wet steel without a problem (unlike soapstone). These even write on plastic, wood, paper, rubber, etc. etc.
Rob

hhmm is that the same as the artist prisma color pencils?

soapstone is ok. If you want very good, use a white liquid correction pen. We keep cases of them at our shop because they work the best. I think Stabilo is the brand. Blue with clear cap about 4" in length. Try one and you wont use anything else.

White paint markers work great for me. Everon is the brand name. Torch or plasma you can still see the lines. Red works great if you are cutting aluminum.

<><Fish

Back