Manual Trans or Diesel Gladiator? (and Rubicon or Mojave?)

jeepinmatt

..l.
After seeing Gladiators that had a $65K MSRP now on sale for $48K, the thought has crossed my mind to sell my 1500 diesel truck and my TJ (and maybe even my car), and just consolidate down into one daily driver/truck/wheeling rig.

I’d like to get a diesel with a manual, but that combo is not an option, so my first dilemma is would I rather have a manual trans with a 3.6 gasser, or the diesel with eight speed auto? I’ve heard that the manual in the JL‘s and JT‘s is not that great and the ratios and gear spacing are not very good. Plus I’m a diesel fanboi, and those 8spd autos are pretty good. My neighbor has the diesel in his JLU Rubicon and absolutely loves it. So I’m leaning that way.

The next dilemma would be to get a Rubicon or a Mojave. The front locker is not really a big deal to me, but the electronic swaybar disconnect is definitely an appealing feature that seems worthwhile. The Mojave will come with a better suspension, but I don’t know if you can add a front locker and electronic sway bar disconnect easily. What else are the differences?

Any other wisdom? Anybody wanna get this show rolling and make an offer on a 2016 Ram Longhorn Ecodiesel with Ramboxes or a stock bodied 2000 TJ with 94k miles? End of the day, I don’t know if I can part with the TJ because reasons, but I at least want to entertain the thought exercise.

As a 3.6 6speed owner..... It is a love hate relationship. The manual really shows the lack of torque the 3.6 makes, this makes backing up suck because of the gearing. Add a small trailer and forget it, in the yard I have to use 4low. Hell 4wd high combined with an incline its a5k clutch dump to get moving without stalling. Also the clutch pedal is really soft and the shifter being cable and isolated from the trans gives it zero feedback.

On the plus side it is a pretty slick gearbox and as a hole.keeps the driver engaged. (Making it fun).

So you bought a small truck to do truck things..... then you want a truck that really won't do truck things to replace it. Doesn't sound like a win to me. Then factor in the cost difference. I'm keeping the ram all day.
he also has a bigger truck, to do truck things. He "needs" a DD truck about like most of suburbia driving them around.

Prices skyrocket then come back down to what they should have been all along and ......look at the deals out there!

$50k Wranglers are still mind baffling
I agree. But its not just a wrangler anymore. Now it has 4 doors and a bed big enough to carry 3 dirtbikes, which is (in my mind, if not in reality) my biggest reason for wanting a little truck. It could literally do what all 3 of my vehicles are doing now, just not as well as any of them. Except my jeep. It would probably do that part better, because I would actually drive it, haha.

I vote the ram 1500 you already have and just sell the Audi. You know the right answer.
As someone else who has owned 2 Rams, I'm sure you understand the challenges of keeping 2 Rams running and in good shape. :flipoff2: (not that a Jeep is any better :laughing:)

So you bought a small truck to do truck things..... then you want a truck that really won't do truck things to replace it. Doesn't sound like a win to me. Then factor in the cost difference. I'm keeping the ram all day.
I definitely see that side of it, and really like my 1500 for DD, but...
he also has a bigger truck, to do truck things. He "needs" a DD truck about like most of suburbia driving them around.
The big truck is problematic for city driving and also harder strap dirtbikes down in. I'm not certain they would fit in a JT, I'm not there yet. Plus the big truck gets about 12-13mpg and tires are $700/ea times 6, so if it's rolling, it better be really making money or saving money.

Prices skyrocket then come back down to what they should have been all along and ......look at the deals out there!

$50k Wranglers are still mind baffling
Also, I paid $18,250 for my 2000 Wrangler with 6k miles on it, in the year 2000. I've been told its probably worth that much now. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Which would make sense considering how many tens of thousands of dollars have cycled through it over the years :laughing:

I don't see fitting 3 dirt bikes in the bed of one of those. Aren't those beds like 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a standard full size pickup 'short' bed?

Back