lug pattern woes

mudjunkie

ive got a dana 60 out of a jeep kaiser m715 with closed knuckles does anyone know if there is a way to change the lug pattern to a 8 lug or if adapters can be made . any info on axle is appreciated

I've heard the front it about as stong as a D44. But they do have stock 513s or something like that.

I've heard the front it about as stong as a D44. But they do have stock 513s or something like that.

Actually, they are 5.89 if I recall.

As far as strength, I'd say where the weak link will be is the outer axle shaft. A lot of mud guys run these because the closed knuckle supposedly keeps out mud. Personally, I'd think you'd want an open knuckle for mud to clear out of it. I don't know - I don't like mud.

From what I hear, the biggest problem with M715 axles is the oddball shaft splines. I think they are 16 spline which makes for difficult replacement and they are a bit weaker. I think the shaft diameter is the same as any other 60/70 (they put a Dana 70 in the rear), but the spline count is less so they are weaker. I'd say it depends on how much horsepower you are going to run and how heavy is your foot. For rocks, they would be OK except for the lower steering radius of the closed knuckle.

i know they are somewhat weak but 300 for a dana 60 with gear i need already installed and i am only running 36" tires with 4.3l for power i think i will be ok if i can just find a way to put 8 lug wheels on them

i know they are somewhat weak but 300 for a dana 60 with gear i need already installed and i am only running 36" tires with 4.3l for power i think i will be ok if i can just find a way to put 8 lug wheels on them

Yea but I would jusmp on a few sets of spare shafts just in case

Back