Lowes or Home Depot???? Taking a poll.

Well I hate home depot i have had bad experiences

I like Lowes I like the layout and how nice everyone is and how much better they treat you and care about people. HD only cares to contractors and there store is dirty and dusty and thats bad for people like me with allergy's. Ok well This is a interested wide range of answers i wonder what more of the board will say??:confused:

Well, ive worked at Home Depot for about a year now...i know where everything in the store is so finding things is not a problem..haha. From a customers stand point though, alot of our staff is kinda lazy, but the older ones do know what they are talking about. Late night is the worst time to go to Home Depot if you need any kind of help because we are so understaffed. I find myself covering 3 different departments most of the time, and that causes customers to have to wait even longer for assistance. I usually shop at home depot, but if i know we are more expensive on an item or dont have a good selection, i will not hesitate to go to Lowe's, or preferably a smaller hardware store. just my 20% of a dime

From the cotractor's side..I like Home Depot more so than Lowes. On the other hand, I believe Lowes is much better for the average homeowner. I like the no bs of Home Depot and I can usually get out of the store quicker at HD.

Little Hardware on S Mint in Charlotte.
Little Hardware, Renfrow, Independence HArdware are all very cool dinosaurs. Love 'em and they have there place but this day and age you gotta go to the big box stores.
I shop HD because it's laid out the same as always and all the help knows me. The Lowe's near me makes it too hard.
If I'm buying stock, it's Lowe's. If I'm buying mulch, it's HD.

OMG Too much to type on this one.
First, I can't say a thing about HomeyD we don't have one. Closest one is in Hickory.

Experiences with Lowe's:

Helping a friend build a fence. HE went down picked out the fence he wanted. We set the connecting timbers. All 30 of them. Went and got the panels. They were supposed to be 8', but they weren't. They only measured 7' and some change. Took Lowe's several times out to the property to finally admit they had a problem and to make it good. Much time wasted.

Within one week I had a Fridge, and washer Dryer go out. I went to Slowes, picked out the ones I wanted. I was informed that they could not deliver on Saturday, I pointed to the big banner sign that read, Free delivery and installation 7 days a week. I asked for the MGR, he tried to rent me a truck! I was informed that in order to make payroll, the delivery guys had to take the weekend off.

I have numerous times waited for someone to come cut me a piece of wire or so on.

I went in to buy some tin, 3 sheets of 5V was on the shelf, I needed 22. I waited 45 mins. The guy that was with me lite a cigg, one of the employees shouted this ain't no flea Market, he replied, it's ain't much of a hardware store either

Every time I go to buy lumber, I have to sift through a stack or so of culls, before I can find some usable pieces. Was bitched at for loading the floor full of warped up lumber.

The new way of everything inside(not true) sucks. I used to go in and pay for what I wanted, get a ticket, go outside and a Guy would help, key word help me find what I needed, and help me cull out the undesirables. With this new system I have to load it on a cart( that doesn't roll too good) then load it again on my truck or trailer.

Wood that I have bought has been so wet, that when building a deck with it and butting all the boards up against one another, I ended up with better than a half inch gap once they dried. The top railing that was a perfect fit, was gapping when it dried.

Only once in the hundreds of times I have been there has someone offered to help. Turned out she was a vendor!

So, for those who have a choice, be glad you do.

Yeah I've had some of the same problems...but overall I prefer lowes better than the hd I had to use when living in Al. There are a few people working there that know whats going on, it's just not all that easy to find them. More than once I've had to work the wire machine and spool/measure my wire while they stood there because noone had a clue how to...

For most non lumber items I go to ace (old true value). It is nice that lowes is open until 9 though.

as long as you havent been in jail the last 5 years and dont have crack dripping from your gums you can get a job there.

I work there:flipoff2:

I hate it and want a worthy part time job, but Lowes type places are the only businesses that have the dumbass hours worthy enough for a college student to earn any money... and 10% discount.

So I vote Lowes

but Lowes type places are the only businesses that have the dumbass hours worthy enough for a college student to earn any money...

Deliver Pizza. Work any crazy hours you want and free food! If your quick, and work in a populated area, you can make $100 a night easy as a closer

It varies from location to location, and have had problems with most In the Winston Salem Area.

Lowes - Hanes Mall Blvd. Until June I had spent over 8000 freakin dollars at this one location. I had a problem with an associate in Appliances that got me so pissed, the only time I've went back is when I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else (it's a long story and this post is long enough). The first manager I talked to didn't even care, then I got a store GM who kissed ass and offered me a one time 10% discount on ANY one purchase and I still haven't been back. Their selection/store layout is better than most. A good friend of mine worked in corporate is the reason why I started shopping there.

Home Depot - Hanes Mall Blvd The have Tool rentals( Always busy as hell though, Lowes doesn't have Tool rental) and a better lawn and garden section - That's the only thing better about it.

Ace Hardware - Highwat 150 in Arcadia - As small as the store is, it is really handy. Their staff if fairly knowledgeable. Great hand tool selection. (Almost as good as Sears without all the BS)

Stock Builders Supply - Clemmons - Ordered a custom exterior door. Steel.. freaking Steal.... I got A PVC exterior door....
Key word custom = Expensive. We worked it out and I kept it, but if it warps they'll give me a new one. On top of that, there was a 2 week wait - I understand. 3 weeks go by, I haven't heard stit but it has been billed to my credit card. I call them up, and my order had been "misplaced", 10 days after that I actually got my door. Will absolutely not do any business with these people again.

Appliances - Triad Appliance Center on South Stratford Road, (Near Hanes Mall Blvd) - After my Lowes problem I found this place. Their prices are competitive, outstanding service, the actually carry accessories for their products in the store(filters, replacement parts), and their delivery is cheaper than Lowes/Home Depot. This place has sold me. Service really means something to me.

Harbor Frieght - Peters Creek Parkway - These people don't know what the hell they're doing, but you get what you pay for.

Went to Lowes to get a new bush axe. Simple enough right? Couldn't seem to find one. Asked the "ASSociate" and he didn't even know what one was. After unsuccessfully trying to explain it I gave up and found one hidden behind some hole diggers on my own.

Took it home and broke the handle in the first 10 minutes on some friggin WEEDS. I didn't even bother to return it.

Went to Farmers Feed and Seed here in Kernersville and bought a real bush axe, made in America, and have used it several times since.

Lowes and Home Depot are both :gay:

I really hate to admit it, but Lowes is my home improvement store of choice. Aside from the goobers typicly staffed there they have Home Depot beat. Mainly as far as simplicity of store layout, and product selection are concerned. Also, you can't beat their bolt section. I used to go to Tractor Supply Company for all my nuts and bolts just because they're near my house but after failing to have what I needed several times on one project I just take the longer trip to Lowes in the first place. However, I do feel bad every time I give Lowes my business simply because of their Nascar driver, Jimmy Johnson. Tony Stewart is so much better. hahaha

Oh, and rbo1577186, that Triad Appliance Center on Stratford is a good place to buy from. Dad and I have done business with them several times.

I buy my nuts and bolts from Southern Fasteners on Clemmonsville Rd. Lowes because Tony Stewart looks like a drunk and hungover everytime you see him. You would think with his money he could at least buy a razor. How did he ever sign with Old Spice? He always looks dirty to me. Anyway, anyone that would sponsor him does not need my money.

I Like the large Home depot Stores but the small ones like in Fuquay pretty much Suck Ass.
As far as Customer service both lowes an home depot suck. I like Stevens or Southern States hardware the best

lowes most definately has a better selection. especialyy for us gear heads. they always have a better supply of nuts and bolts and other hardware:beer:

My Dad retired from Lowes. Lowes put food on our table when I was growing up. I always go to Lowes, I figure it will help his stock prices more if I buy from Lowes than Home Depot!!:rolleyes:

I worked at HD a long time ago for about 5 years. Now I almost never shop there unless it's something I know I can't get any where else. When I first hired, the employees and managers where some of the most motivated and outgoing people I had ever worked with but when the owners stepped back and hired a CEO from outside the company it snowballed down hill to what your reading on these threads. I managed a department for a season and went through their training so I know alot about their history. They used to seek out professional plumbers and electricians and pay them very well but now the building is full of flunkies and punks who are clueless. Lowes is a little better but you need to know what you're needing and know how to use it because they sure can't tell ya. Oh yeah, DON'T ever use their installers for home remodeling. I can name many botched jobs done by these fly-by-nights.

Back