Lowes or Home Depot???? Taking a poll.

DOUGHBOYDD2500HD

I am wondering which one everyone here goes with and why and why not the other?? what likes and dislikes about 1 or the other. Thanks.

Lowe's - I just like the way the store is laid out better. It seems cleaner, brighter and more user friendly to me. Lowe's will always have the flux core wire I use, HD can be out half the time I check. I shop at both all the time and don't have a particular dislike about either one.

interesting poll. I am going to say lowes around here because the home depot is the smallest one ever. And the employees are not the brightest. They sent me to the lawn mower section when I was looking for a tool box.

Lowe's first then then Orange Box. Always seems Lowes in an easier location to get in and out of oddly enough. Prices are better from what I've paid attention to. and then everything CYJKrawler said.

I would prefer a different option then either one. Slowes will screw up any order. The only pluss is that what you are looking for might be in stock. You do have a better chance of finding someone who works there. They might not know anything, but you can find them.

The big orange never has anything where you would expect to find it, then you can't find one of the two people that work there. After an hours search, you will find them and they won't know anything about what you want and will try to sell you something else.

At the check out, they both will have a long line.

Slowes only b/c it is 5 minutes from my house. Around here we have 2 Slowes and 1 Homo Depot but supposedly getting another one. What may be on sell one weekend will be on sale again next weekend at the other one. If both of those fail there's another place here in town similar to both stores called The Contractor Yard

In Apex I prefer Home Depot. The staff is generally older and tends to have some clue what I'm talking about. Having said that, over the last year I started going to Ace Hardware before I go to the big stores. They staff is far better and they have every bolt, nut, or crazy part I need.

Lowes has a better plumbing dept. by far, the stores also seem to be layed out a little nicer/cleaner. The home depot near me always has hookers walking around outside, a 275lb woman in spandex is always good for a laugh. If I need a good laugh, a crack rock , or a lot lizard then it's got to be home depot.

Lowes because of much better bolt selection, better quality products for the most part, and Kobalt>Husky>Crapsman.

public hardware .. why.. B/C I work there, and we have everything :D

if not there, and am forced to go somewhere esle then lowes b/c I have more connections there.

Another vote for neither unless you absolutely have to. I try to hit the smaller mom and pop spots first. Yes they cost more, but their inventory is usually higher quality and the folks that work there know the difference between a bush axe and PVC.

It all depends on what is needed. The Lowes in Garner are always out of shit but it is convenient to my house. The HD in Garner usually has the stuff but the employees are mindless drones.

The Lowes & HD in Cary are pretty similiar.
In Apex, the new Lowes on 55 is nice.

But neither lay a hand to Ace for hardware or electrical needs. Lowes/HD just dont have the know-how people to ask questions - as long as you havent been in jail the last 5 years and dont have crack dripping from your gums you can get a job there.

This is pretty interesting hearing people's different impressions... I wonder how the complaints of friendliness/helpfullness are just related to that store.

Here in Winston, the two are basically across the street from one another. in general I find HD is a little more expensive, but sometimes on comparale items they have an option of a higher quality one. Their nut/bolt selection is definitely not as good though.
Many times I pick one based on which direction I am going afterwards. The Lowes here tends to be very very busy, which is very annoying, but it's on a corner and easier to make a quick(er) entry/exit on a very overcowded and congested road.
As for people, my experience has been the opposite - if i know what i'm looking for and exactly where it is, I go to Lowes. I can rarely catch somebody and when i do, rarely helpful. OTOH, i've had much better luck w/ teh guys at HD, they generally help out and if can't, at least try and get somebody who can. A HD guy told me once that they have a policy that they have to walk WITH the customer to the location, not just point them away. Who knows if that's triue...

This is pretty interesting hearing people's different impressions... I wonder how the complaints of friendliness/helpfullness are just related to that store.

That's my experience. In the Charlotte area I've walked out of both HD and Lowes equally pissed. I depends on the store I'm in. There are morons at both, it all depends on the local store management.

It's funny that so many people here seem to prefer the layout of Lowes. I know for a fact their design was intended to appeal more to women than HD does. I wonder what that says about the people here. :D

Jeff

That's my experience. In the Charlotte area I've walked out of both HD and Lowes equally pissed. I depends on the store I'm in. There are morons at both, it all depends on the local store management.
It's funny that so many people here seem to prefer the layout of Lowes. I know for a fact their design was intended to appeal more to women than HD does. I wonder what that says about the people here. :D
Jeff

Women know what works best :flipoff2:

Back