Dave Surprise©
Scale as needed

1pk Ramen noddles
1cn Mushroom soup
1cn French cut Green beans (drained)
add any other leftovers you have

cook noodles, don't pour off water
dump in soap & beans
garnish with "last crumbs in the bag" potato chips, corn chips, pretzels, cheez-its, etc.
eat from pot (saves water/electricity from washing dishes :lol: )

$1.59 feeds 2

I'm so fond of it, my picky eater (understatement!) wife has banned it from the menu... :rolleyes:

I might just add in the soup and leave the soap out. :flipoff2:

viola dinner takes 8 mins,easy (chicken n pasta)

These things are good, but at $8-10 a pop to barely feed two, definitely not what I would consider Cheap. JMHO

And to attempt to add something useful;

My favorite meal using a crockpot-
Whatever cut of pork or beef is on sale that week or is about to expire, few potatoes, some carrots, some onions, season as you like. Add a cup of water and cook for ~6-8hrs. Then you can turn the broth into gravy. Should make about 4-6meals depending on the size/cut of meat you choose.

As promised:

Tater tot Casserole

Chop up one small onion.I prefer very small.
Brown 1 pound ground chuck, Drain off grease, add onions and simmer till onions are cooked. Drain again. Add one can of cream of mushroom soup, stir till consistent, pour into casserole dish, lay tater tots on top, place in oven until tater tots are brown. Remove and serve. Very tasty. and will be a couple dinners easy for two.

Pinto Beans and fried or mashed potatoes have always been a favorite meal for me.
Yes I do put fatback in there! When the kids were young and here, they wanted fried spam( I baked it) to go with it.

You can get 50 lbs potatoes at about any trade lot/flea market Price depends on season and the market.

Aldi is where we buy all of our ready soups, canned vegis bake means, Canned white chicken, Canned roast beef( stew beef(good but gives me heart burn) They have bags of chicken breast that are huge. One breast will feed both Leslie and I. We buy the all beef hot dogs, cheap, bulk, and are great. and long. All kinds of side dishes, like rice, and so on. Their brand of noodles are VERY cheap, and several flavors. I could go on and on about Aldi, but you just need to go and try it once. Take a Quarter, that gives you a shopping cart, that you get back when you return it. Also take you own bags. As you go through the place, look for boxes too, makes it easy to load into car!

You have eat our Spaghetti, all ingredients come from Aldi. Make a huge pot and freeze it, will last many many meals. Remember Harlan?? That was about $50 dollars to make, it fed us all up there, and was about twice as much come back home still frozen!

As mentioned, buy in bulk. Leslie will find a big roast, cut it up and make several meals off of it. At local food store, ease in there around 9:30-10 am, that's when they start marking down meats in the fresh section. Bring them home and freeze them.

IF you like breakfast biscuits, you can buy the specials at Hardee's or BoJangles and bring home and freeze them. Wrap in foil and steam them, and they taste as good as when you bought them.

IF you get in the mood, you can cook up several different meals at once in the oven and in the crock pot. Freeze. Thaw and heat and a fast good meal. I have a friend who does this and can cook about two weeks of food in the time to fix one meal, and she only heats the oven up once. You have to plan though.

If you go to the thrift store to get bread, look and see if they have some of those small dinner rolls that come in an aluminum pan. Save the pan and reuse for a future meal. then recycle it, or reuse it again.

Soda's...Grocery stores never have them on sale much, so look at convenience stores. You can often get two 12 packs for 5-6 bucks. Sam's cola's are pretty good.

Pizza place specials, like $5 bucks ones. Eat once. put rest in zip lock. Nuke till pliable and put in frying pan to heat up. Makes crispy crust and not chewy like nuking them all the way.

If you don't have one, look for a cheap used small freezer. we buy a lot and freeze it.

Hope this helps Mike.

Are you going to eat your tots?

yager,

I'm not sure if you have kids or not, but this was a nice cheap treat my mom use to do for us, now my kids love it. It's nice to have a treat when you cut back on meals.

Can of Biscuits.
Cooking oil
Sugar

Poke hole in middle of Biscuit dough balls. and stretch the dough out to make a circle.

Heat oil to Med/Hi. and lay doughnut dough in oil. flip once cooking to golden brown.

put sugar in a bowl and swirl both sides of doughnuts in sugar.

enjoy with Milk.

Refried beans/egg burritos. Add a little salsa in the beans for a little kick.

Here we buy the 18 pack of eggs, buy one get one free. Hardboil one pack of eggs for sandwiches.

Fried egg on bagel open face sandwich.

Another favorite with the wife/kids is open faced sandwiches on a slice of bagette. Little olive oil on the bread and grill it on the gridle. Once nicely browned, a few drops of balsamic vinegar, some basil pesto, slice of tomato, slice of mozorella, then top with your favorite deli meat. Really cheap once the balsamic and olive oil is bought, and yummy.

Good luck - things are tight for us now as well. We are still considering moving the the south Charlotte area.

Edit: Making fried rice is really cheap as well. Tofu packs are only $1, rice is cheap, eggs, peas, cilantro, left over meat. Some Sricha on top gives it a nice kick as well.

I usually work this backwards. If you try and think of cheap meals imho you aren't looking at it right. I go into harris teeter (best sales imo) and buy only sale stuff. They'll have large red baron pizzas for like 2/$3.00, buy 1 get 1 free bacon, and highly discounted meat selections. Then just keep white rice, canned veggies on hand and search http://www.grouprecipes.com . Possibly some of the coolest/easiest to search recipes ever.

Hey, in regards to cable and internet, My niece called the cable company yesterday, since her bill was $128 last month, she told them she was going to have to cancel her cable since she was just laid off. They asked if she would consider keeping it if they could lower the price? She said maybe, how low? She now has the same exact service for $41/month.

Back