Long term rental car options?

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I feel like this has come up here before, can't remember, but you knuckleheads always seem to know stuff.

What companies, websites, pyramid schemes etc are a good deal for a long term rental car? Say 8 weeks.

I work on an Army base in a pretty isolated location. We have this chronic problem every summer that interns are offered positions to work here and given a housing and transportation stipend, but they live all over the country. They need a car to get around for the summer. Normal rental rates are insane, especially if you're only 21.

They don't drive their own car? We have about 100+ interns/co-ops from all over the country during the summer. As far as I know, they all seem to drive their own car here.

I think Turo is the best for that. I know a couple people locally who have older reliable cars that people rent for months at a time. One guy owns like 3-4 grandma Crown Victorias that he pretty much has rented out permanently.

Scooter.

They don't drive their own car? We have about 100+ interns/co-ops from all over the country during the summer. As far as I know, they all seem to drive their own car here.
A 20 year old coming from Arizona or California doesn't really want to drive cross country for an 8 week thing. They are compensated for airfare, but I don't think they'll give POV mileage that far.

That said, I suspect they will end up doing it if a reasonable option isn't available.

A 20 year old coming from Arizona or California doesn't really want to drive cross country for an 8 week thing. They are compensated for airfare, but I don't think they'll give POV mileage that far.
At 20 I'd drive to California for an overnight if I thought I had a chance to touch a boob. Much less chance to make MONEY or potentially better my shot at a career.

Some peoples kids

You could be the guy with the solution @RatLabGuy. Go buy some off lease cars, Rent them to the interns.

You could be the guy with the solution @RatLabGuy. Go buy some off lease cars, Rent them to the interns.
Be sure to buy EVs

It's working out GREAT for Avis and enterprise 🤣🤣🤣

A coworker and I had this exact discussion 3 hours ago.
The thing is after you account for title and tags plus insurance, it would take at least 3 summers to pay for itself if it were at a reasonably cheap rate. Unless I get real el cheapo beaters, but then I'm on the hook for dealing with maintenance on el cheapo beaters.
This is actually kind of viable. There's a long-term stay hotel on the base, and its where I suspect they'll end up. Its the world's least exciting place to be on any evening or weekend, but you could definitely scooter from there to the lab. Will suck on a stormy July afternoon.. but this is the Army, we don't GAF if you're wet..

Kids are lame these days.
especially the nerdy kids

The really outgoing, go-getter folks aren't the ones applying to government research internships.

Get the title and tags, then cancel insurance.
If you do that in MD you will get a fine from the MVA within 2 weeks. Well, its automatic inclusion in a state-run insurance plan but its something like $7/day. If if you don't pay the bill within 30 days they cancel your registration, and you can't get new tags until you pay the bill.

If you do that in MD you will get a fine from the MVA within 2 weeks. Well, its automatic inclusion in a state-run insurance plan but its something like $7/day. If if you don't pay the bill within 30 days they cancel your registration, and you can't get new tags until you pay the bill.
And then you drive that car for the next 23 1/2 months.

Or bicycle.
If only there was a way 20-year olds could get around town quickly and easily....

1712868555366.png

And then you drive that car for the next 23 1/2 months.
I can tell you've never driven a car w/ invalid plates on an Army base.

:laughing:

No, and I can tell you've never worked with framers before. :flipoff2:
I'm not trying to find a car for farmers.
How do you think I know how draconian they are about plates here?

I can tell you've never driven a car w/ invalid plates on an Army base.

Did that (unknowingly) at the federal complex in Charleston. Tag was out and insurance paperwork was out of date. They didn't GAF that the office had all the right paperwork. I can also say with the utmost confidence that when the bomb dog alerts on your truck, everybody but him has a bad day.

Back