Lets See a Pic of Your tow rig and trailer.

Picked it up today

20130316_114201.jpg

Well found out that the race jeep is to heavy for the toy hauler got the bouncing to stop but still wanted to sway so back to square one. Darn the luck... :mad:

Well found out that the race jeep is to heavy for the toy hauler got the bouncing to stop but still wanted to sway so back to square one. Darn the luck... :mad:
I can imagine, I glanced at the specs for that trailer, not knowing exactly which model or length, it appears the payload capacity ranges from
4500-5000lbs on most models with a couple up to 5500lbs. Looking at that YJ in the back, and not knowing all the specs off the top of my head, I would say a YJ on tons, with heavy tires, suspension, everything else, and I would guess that YJ weighs in not much under 5000lbs, right at the capacity of that trailer I would say, with zero room for additional gear/supplies in the trailer and not to mention it's loaded backwards, putting even more weight far behind the axles of that trailer. Looks like a recipe for sway. Getting the weight of that steering axle, winch, and engine over the trailer axles would probably help, but I don't know if it would be enough. I see you have a weight distributing hitch at least, do you have sway control? Have you rode over any scales to see exactly where you are on the capacity of the trailer? Maybe put some ballast towards the front to increase tongue weight?

I have dual sway control. The jeep has a big tube fold down tire carrier on it and on the scales it show the weight to be like a 47 to 53 split front to rear so we figured backing it in would be the best bet. The jeep does weigh in at around 4800lbs and trailer cargo capacity is 5300lbs so I thought it might work. Live and learn I guess.

I have dual sway control. The jeep has a big tube fold down tire carrier on it and on the scales it show the weight to be like a 47 to 53 split front to rear so we figured backing it in would be the best bet. The jeep does weigh in at around 4800lbs and trailer cargo capacity is 5300lbs so I thought it might work. Live and learn I guess.

Yeah, that's not giving you much leeway. Figure that 500# buffer doesn't include 800# worth of fresh water, clothes, groceries, propane, etc.

Can you move the rig further toward the front of the trailer? Really needs to be centered on the axles, or slightly forward of center.

Interesting on that weight ratio, didn't think it would be that close, or even heavier on the rear, but given the equipment that's about what I estimated it to weigh.
Yeah, that's not giving you much leeway. Figure that 500# buffer doesn't include 800# worth of fresh water, clothes, groceries, propane, etc.

Can you move the rig further toward the front of the trailer? Really needs to be centered on the axles, or slightly forward of center.
Agreed, that payload capacity has to include all supplies in the trailer, assuming you have the 100 or so gallon fresh water tank filled, that's over 800lbs right there alone, you are overweight and haven't even loaded the propane tanks, groceries, tools/gear, clothes etc.

If you had more weight to work with, I would suggest moving it as far forward as you can, and throwing some ballast forward of the axles (where are the fresh/grey/black water tanks mounted in relation to the axles?) such as clothes/gear/groceries as far forward as possible to up the tongue weight, within reason of course. But it appears you have the trailer overloaded as it is...

Yeah that was with no water and the jeep in as far as it will go. All the extra parts and tools in front storage space. Guess it'll just be for hauling my jeep its under 4000lbs. Fresh water, black, and gray tanks are all right in front on the axles.

I'm working towards getting a shot of my new tow pig, trailer, and xj all working together. Right now it'd be a poser shot only because I still need to buy straps. What does everyone recommend for straps? I was planning on strapping down at the axles. What weights and how many per axle is recommended?
I'm making progress though. I just got my brake boss g2 controller installed this weekend. The trailer came with a quality weight dist hitch and sway bar brake which is mounted but not bolted to the trailer yet so I also have that to knock out.

2006 tundra, 20' trailer, Peterbilt 63" sleeper, '90 samurai

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364827465969.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364827465969.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 513
Back