Let's discuss engines for a buggy

I'm a true blue Ford guy. That being said, you can't beat the ease, reliablity and access to LS engine platform. The 4.3 would be an easy option too. But only IMO you found a rebuilt or known good condition one. I say that since they are all what, 20 years old by now?
For me, 4.8 LS, 350, Atlas is hard to beat. Unless of course a 5.3 or 6.0 fell in your lap.

a gen3 5.3 is around 20 years old too

Was definitely kidding around here! BUT I would be curious to know the difference in power to weight ratio.
I definitely missed the humor, but thought it was laughable. Makes sense now :D

I dig @DannyH’s idea of the 22rtp and that can also mate to an aw4 with a little work. Even with a small turbo, it still takes a little getting used to spooling up a little engine to get the horse pressures moving. That would be my only hesitation to that combo.
Turbo noises on the cheap are always the way to go. I think the puppy mills needs one…

LS or....
Buy anearly 2000s s10 or blazer with a 4.3/4l60e that you can test drive for cheap. No title no problem

Stock 5.3. Enough power to not struggle but still completely manageable power wise with low stall. Youre wasting time and creating headaches with anything else. Unless you like headaches, most of us do because we are stupid.

I mean if we are going headache,

I’d Vote for a turbo vortec 4200. Use holley for the efi, and separate controller for the vvti. Add boost and you a have a 2JZ killer. Plenty of horsepressures and no width issues of a v-engine. Not much weight difference vs a ls.. plus an actual decent head compared to a 4.0L

Use holley for the efi, and separate controller for the vvti
Replace this with a Haltech to control both and you skip a lot of the headache.
I'd love to see it, but we know its not a good crawler engine.

Figured that 4.8/5.3 LS would be the most popular option. I have no issues with an LS setup, was just wondering what everyone would choose.

I still have a lot of research and thinking to do before I make a decision. Luckily I've got plenty of time while the wife saves up her $$$.

Last edited:
Changing my vote.. New version of the 4.3 is an all aluminum setup making 285hp and 300tq add some go fast parts and you have good power in a smaller lighter package.

There's a reason why most buggy builders use LS/LT motors. They work, they are compact, they are plentiful, there's one to fit any budget, there is plenty of options and aftermarket support. The "I just want something different" and the "but I've already got X, I'm just gonna use it" guys wind up wishing they would have just got one to start with.

Changing my vote.. New version of the 4.3 is an all aluminum setup making 285hp and 300tq add some go fast parts and you have good power in a smaller lighter package.
But too expensive and not readily available. My vote is still aluminum gen 3 5.3.

Back