Let's discuss engines for a buggy

untchabl

On the rocks
Starting to collect parts to build the wife a buggy of her own. Goal is a simple, reliable yet capable buggy. Already have a set of Super Duty axles, beadlocks and 40" tires.

Having trouble deciding on an engine. Want something that has transmission options that I can bolt up an Atlas.

Jeep 4.0 - cheap, already have a couple sitting around. But it's long, heavy and going to be tough to fit in a buggy chassis.

Vortec 4.3 - pretty easy to find, fairly cheap. Easy to fit in the chassis. Lots of transmission options.

4.8/5.3 LS - same as the 4.3. But is it more power than she needs?

Other options/suggestions?

4.8/5.3 for ease of reliability, parts availability

The only fitment issues arise in terms of width in the foot area and how far back you push the drivetrain.

4.0 i6 the crank length is an issue for front axle clearance without having a super short rear driveline or without having long wheelbase.
But footwell area is easier than v-anything.

That’s the catch of the i6 vs v anything.

Then it’s the weight. No comparison, ls something wins of 4.3 or 4.0.

Have you looked into the GM turbo 4cyl. Or any other mfr boosted 4cyl ?

Good power for weight and packaging size. Hence why you see that stuff so popular with the competition crawlers.

I think the answer to this question typically leads to ls-something for best compromise when checking all boxes and minimal compromises everywhere.

Another vote for Ls simply because of the support for them. My jeep has a sbc and last time I popped it, they are hard to find. Where a Ls can be had all day for 3/500. Plus all of the aftermarket parts available. 150$ eBay harness and a flashed ecm and your running

Have you looked into the GM turbo 4cyl. Or any other mfr boosted 4cyl ?

Good power for weight and packaging size. Hence why you see that stuff so popular with the competition crawlers.

I've done minimal research on "modern" 4cyl stuff like Ecotec. Seems that most don't have accessory drives that work well with being swapped into a rwd setup. Some require pricey parts or brackets to make them work.

The Suzuki 2.0 in my buggy was easy to drop in, I unbolted the AC compressor and built a pretty simple bracket for the PS pump. It even worked out that the stock accessory belt still fit.

But the issue with the Suzuki 2.0 is they're only available for a few years in Trackers and Vitaras so not as easy to find. And it's not easy/cheap to get an Atlas to bolt up. The wife doesn't want to deal with all the shifters and finding the right gear to be in with a doubler setup like I have.

BMW 3.0 Compound turbo diesel like found in the 335d and x5d :D

Light, compact, smooth power delivery, plenty of power, tons of torque.

Last edited:
I'm a Ford, Chrysler guy. Vote LS and just pick your displacement. Or pick the one that is either present for purchase or you think has the most support. Keep it simple and normal. Go reliable and supported. HP is just another number if you can't use it properly.......and that not about the wife. Just a plain fact.

Modern boosted 4 banger would be my vote. Package up small to leave room for linkage & make good power for what they are. 2.3L EcoBoost or Ecotech

If you want all out simplicity, fresh build Propane 22r or re w/ mild cam for revs, MSD 6al ignition/coil, w59, atlas, tons. Then you don't have all that wiring and parts availability is there. Not gonna say any names, but I've dragged an LS feller or two out of the woods with this setup...

If you really needed an auto you can get a th350 behind it, talked to a guy that ran this setup and supposedly after he got the torque converter right is wasn't bad if you're cool with crawling (was a west coast dude)...

Also gonna say skip the 4.3... dimensionally, I don't think they are THAT much smaller than an LS but they make about the same power as that 22re I mentioned above...

Also gonna say skip the 4.3... dimensionally, I don't think they are THAT much smaller than an LS but they make about the same power as that 22re I mentioned above...
You might be right on the size, but 4.3s actually make pretty decent power.

I’m typically of the opinion the LS platform is great bang for the $.

Even a 3rz, 3.4, or 5vz would be reasonable options with great aftermarket support and reasonable costs.

If you want all out simplicity, fresh build Propane 22r or re w/ mild cam for revs, MSD 6al ignition/coil, w59, atlas, tons. Then you don't have all that wiring and parts availability is there. Not gonna say any names, but I've dragged an LS feller or two out of the woods with this setup...

If you really needed an auto you can get a th350 behind it, talked to a guy that ran this setup and supposedly after he got the torque converter right is wasn't bad if you're cool with crawling (was a west coast dude)...

For real close to the same size as the 4.3, you can have an LS. It's a no brainer if the choice is between the two. And I have a built 4.3 and its maybe 15 HP more than stock! lol Now in a light buggy I'm sure it would be peppy but there's no way I would build around one.

4.8/th350/atlas

Easily upgraded in the future if she sticks with it. The 4.8 can still be found a few hundred less than a 5.3 or 6.0 and respond equally as well to mods. When she’s ready for more power just throw in a cam, converter and retune.

I dig @DannyH’s idea of the 22rtp and that can also mate to an aw4 with a little work. Even with a small turbo, it still takes a little getting used to spooling up a little engine to get the horse pressures moving. That would be my only hesitation to that combo.

For the same size roughly a supercharged 3.8 would be better.
For real close to the same size as the 4.3, you can have an LS. It's a no brainer if the choice is between the two. And I have a built 4.3 and its maybe 15 HP more than stock! lol Now in a light buggy I'm sure it would be peppy but there's no way I would build around one.
He said a 22R and a 4.3 GM were about the same power…
Also gonna say skip the 4.3...
they make about the same power as that 22re I mentioned above...

A 22RE is about 120 and 140ftlbs
A 4.3 is about 200hp and 260ftlbs

Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?
I wasn't inserting myself completely into the argument by actually trying to understand everyone's viewpoint, I was merely railing against the 4.3 because I made that bad decision my self and am trying to dissuade anyone else from doing the same when an LS will fit in the same spot for the same amount of work. :D

Am I missing something?
Was definitely kidding around here! BUT I would be curious to know the difference in power to weight ratio.

For the same size roughly a supercharged 3.8 would be better.

Agreed for the 3800 supercharged V6.
Such a small, reliable, cheap, easy to package, fun to drive, little engine.
If you don't need more than 300hp it's the bomb.

Any Vortec LS for the simplicity and the shear fact they are everywhere.

I'm a true blue Ford guy. That being said, you can't beat the ease, reliablity and access to LS engine platform. The 4.3 would be an easy option too. But only IMO you found a rebuilt or known good condition one. I say that since they are all what, 20 years old by now?
For me, 4.8 LS, 350, Atlas is hard to beat. Unless of course a 5.3 or 6.0 fell in your lap.

I'm a true blue Ford guy. That being said, you can't beat the ease, reliablity and access to LS engine platform. The 4.3 would be an easy option too. But only IMO you found a rebuilt or known good condition one. I say that since they are all what, 20 years old by now?
For me, 4.8 LS, 350, Atlas is hard to beat. Unless of course a 5.3 or 6.0 fell in your lap.
My exact thoughts. With the whole world supporting the Ls platform. It’s just too easy. And as mentioned above you can find an aluminum block and be very light.

Stock 5.3. Enough power to not struggle but still completely manageable power wise with low stall. Youre wasting time and creating headaches with anything else. Unless you like headaches, most of us do because we are stupid.

Back