Less is more, but...

kaiser715

Doing hard time
So, how much "stuff" do y'all take?

I can spend a week backpacking, and head out with just over 30# total.

We went to the mountains last weekend, car camping, and I had the back of the F250 full of...well, everything. Actually, we used pretty much everything we took. And really enjoyed it, but how much is too much...I took the keg smoker, did some killer stuff on it. Took the dutch oven, did a fantastic peach cobbler. Big tent and air mattress (gotta keep the better half happy, especially since it rained a lot).

We spent a lot of time on the front end getting ready (although most of our car-camping stuff is packed into organizer tubs (i.e. cooking implements, staples like paper towels, foil, etc, etc)). And just as much time unloading, cleaning, and storing everything when we got home.

How much stuff do y'all normally take when car-camping? How much is too much?

Last time I did a 3 day URE trip, I filled up the back of the XJ(4 door) with the back seats folded down. It was a little overkill, but it was enough food and drinks for 3-4 people and all the camping gear plus my normal fluids, tools, and gear to fix the truck if needed. My nickname quickly became Walmart, as everytime someone needed something at the campsite or in the trals, it was a 90% chance that I had it in the back of the truck lol.

I'm doing most of my camping at Oregon Inlet out by Nags Head. I take my Lincoln and the little lady. I bring a duffle bag of beach clothes, dinner clothes and toiletries. We bring an 8 man tent, an air mattress, a cooler, citronella stuffs for the skeeters and our beach chairs. If we're gone a week, we typically only cook a couple times when we're out there. Most, if not all of that stuff fits in the trunk. Then with the back seat laid down, she finds a way to load that up. I won't complain too much if it means she'll go primitive camping.

I go wheeling and camping with buddies once a year in Harlan. I usually have a crew cab f250 packed to the gills, toolbox full, and a rocket box on the roof. Its amazing how much crap I bring. The funny thing is I use everything but clean clothes.

Funny thread...the wife and I can camp off a dual sport moto for several nights with the panniers loaded and two small duffel bags. Car camping as a family quickly fills an XJ (before we sold it) or the 2500HD crew cab.

Nature abhors a void.

I feel ya on this. We are getting ready for a camping trip this weekend and it seems like it takes me two-three days to get all the stuff in order and then another two-three days to get it all put up. That is really the problem with the first trip of the year. Of course adding to that fire is a boat that hasn't hit the water since last year. So there is going to plenty to do before we leave on friday. My biggest problem is the stuff that is used for more than just camping. Flashlights, lanterns, and a host of other things are raided through out the winter for various reasons. Makes it fun getting it all back together. I'm just glad a remembered that we broke a tent pole cord last time out and it needed to be fixed before we left.

Last camping trip I did was in Harlan for 4 days. I had the TJ loaded down and totes in the bed of the truck. Then it rained every single day making a mess and complicating things. Now I leave camping trips for Uwharrie just 40 minutes from home. Going back to Harlan in may and got a cabin this time. The extra cost is worth pulling up to the cabin after wheeling all day and heading straight for the shower and cooking a hot meal.

For just a weekend trip ill pack one cooler, Coleman stove, small tent with air mattress, Eno hammock, case of water, two gallons of water and dog food. Good chair, book, iPod, lantern and flash light. I can live with my dog and those things for a while and enjoy it. I need to invest in an easy up. They are nice in the rain cause if you don't have a raging fire you can still center one over it without damaging it.

I feel ya on this. We are getting ready for a camping trip this weekend and it seems like it takes me two-three days to get all the stuff in order and then another two-three days to get it all put up. That is really the problem with the first trip of the year. Of course adding to that fire is a boat that hasn't hit the water since last year. So there is going to plenty to do before we leave on friday. My biggest problem is the stuff that is used for more than just camping. Flashlights, lanterns, and a host of other things are raided through out the winter for various reasons. Makes it fun getting it all back together. I'm just glad a remembered that we broke a tent pole cord last time out and it needed to be fixed before we left.

True, true! The season starter takes a while. Once the boys got old enough to pack their gear, I put that responsibility on them and that helps. They control the contents of their bags and their sleep kit (sleeping bag and pad and/or Eno hammock). I remind them of things they want/need but they basically just toss their gear into the truck.

I handle the totes that stay loaded all the time, and they get tossed in the truck. Mrs. Sweet' has her own program and I stay out of her way :)

The mention of a soaking rain changes the plan IF anyone leaves gear outside tent or tarp...rain just sucks when camping because then you gotta dry it all out at home. I do not like that at all.

Last edited:
Camping when going to Harlan is easy. Tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, heater, drop cord, blanket, toothbrush, toothpaste, stank stick (deodorant). Eat at the dairy hut. Shower in.... well at home on Sunday. All of my clothes fit in a small duffle bag.

mat, or air mattress (if the wife goes), ax, tools, gallon of water, and whatever im going to eat (steak, chili stuff, hot dawgs, whatever), and beer.

maybe a dog...

Well, our first trip of the year went well. We had all the camping equipment. Air mattress didn't leak. Boat ran good. Trailer pulled good. Caught a few fish.

By myself .... a box of food, pop-can alky stove and a coffee pot ( most important article - btw) a tarp, a pole , a hatchet and sleep stuff.
Other than that, we have a pop-up. We keep what we use with it , in it.
Well, Pull out for the first trip to check for storage damage etc. and add a few things.
That stuff stays until we put it away for the winter. Added a little every year that stays permanently.
After this year .... it should always be ready to go.
Add food and suitcase and roll.

Matt

If it cant fit in a kayak, backpack, or front seat of a trail rig, you don't need it! I've enjoyed primitive camping my whole life and spend at least one night a week on the water in the woods. I carry enough to be comfortable but not so much i couldn't pick up an armload of stuff and haul tail without leaving much behind. Things always on my list:
1. 40 cal Baretta
2. cooking grate
3. first aid kit
4. hatchet
5. hammock/small tent/ground pad/tarp (depending on when and where)
6. Lodge pan and or coffee pot
7. eating utensils and seasoning
8. fishing rods, tackle
9. compass
10. fire source
11. lighting
A good homemade grate and an open fire. Don't forget the Lodge!
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_IMG_20130527_075011_771_zps59930534.jpg
Kayak camping:
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_photobucket_6976_1328050839566.jpg
Rig camping:
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_photobucket_6912_1321194672753.jpg
Kayak camping in the snow (this was a fun one)
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_SU1HMDAxMzItMjAxMTAxMTYtMDkwNy5qcGc.jpg
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_PHTO0003_4.jpg
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_PHTO0003_2.jpg

^ that looks like a good time! I haven't been kayak camping in years!

I used to just camp with whatever I could fit in a backpack. These days, its more like car camping. The last time we camped at URE, the back of the truck was FULL.

Back