Leaking propane tanks

Webbinator

So........I got both my propane tanks filled and come to find out that they are both leaking. :confused: Question is what to do now? One leaks around the valve handle and the other is leaking around the guage fitting. If I take them to the local propane company, I guess they can repair them after they purge all that nice new propane out. This really sucks since I paid almost 50 bucks to have them both filled. I should have had them checked since they had sat empty for a couple of years. They were stored indoors so I figured they would be fine. Guess I was wrong, huh.

Jeff, I think they(a propane company) can pump the tanks back out, so you don't loose anymore than you have to. I'd call and check with them. If you are every in my neighborhood bring your tanks to fill them. I only pay 14 bucks and some change to fill one tank.

The cheapest I've been able to find for getting them filled around here is $23.00 bucks a tank. Sounds like I need to check in NC.

Not sure where in SC you are, but if you have multiple tanks, it would be worth the drive.
On another Note, was talking with Zuber about your system. I also have a CJ-5 that I am gonna build if I ever get mine done. It has the 258 also. I am curious as to what all components you used, adapters and so on. Would like to hear how it does on the trail also as in the power change if any.

I was up at Zubers shop yesterday getting some final welds burned in on my anti-wrap bar. Big thanks to Jeff there for helping me out. Anyway, once I get that all finished up, I will FINALLY be able to give the propane system a good testing out. I haven't been able to get on it hard enough because of the spring wrap issues. And now on top of that, I have to get my tanks repaired. New surprise at every turn. I do plan to post up the components I used once I test it out and determine I don't have to change anything. Don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction.

Oh about forgot Chip, I'm down in York, SC. It's just Southwest of Charlotte. I work in Charlotte, so I'm gonna be checking around there to see if I can get some better prices on propane.

Do your tanks have a packing nut around the valve stem? if so tighten it and it should stop one of your leaks

Back