LCD/ Plasma or DLP ?

avsno2000

Looking to get a new TV but which one .

37 to 42

I have a 36" tube. Need to upgrade the old tube has been giving me some issues. I only know alittle about the Plasmas and DLPs so any info would help. I wanna go flat and narrow...

We love our LCD for the natural picture (not digital looking up close) but when the bulb goes every two years its $$$

Basicaly, do you want a flat panel? If yes, LCD / Plasma. If not, RPTV or DLP.

I like plasma for the richer colors and better contrast.

we have a 42" DLP love it, picture looks great. Have to replace the bulb every 3 years though. best buy guy said its about $300 to replace the bulb, but you will get a longer run time out of a DLP or other bulb type than an LCD if you replace the bulb regularly (or so he said).

it all depends on what you want to with it? If you want it on the wall or on a stand? You want to do 1080i or 1080p? Whats your price range? If you go lcd/plasma in the 40" range price will be in the 1500+ area as opposed to dlp 42" Toshiba for 1200 or 42" LCD Progection for like 999... when you know what you want to do.. ill get you crazy deal on what ever you need .

Plasma is dead technology and are already being phased out now that LCD technology will allow 40"+ sizes with fast response times. They will continue to drop in price because they cant be repaired and their life isnt half of what newest LCDs are. That being said the latest generation plasmas are much much more reliable and will last longer than the earlier one and they definately offer much higher contrast ratios than LCDs. DLP's can deliver best overall picture but also contain more expensive parts to replace. After all that rant and ramble, I have a 37" LCD and love it so far but it took me alot of shopping around to find one with all the features I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.

flat panel LCD's are brighter, lighter, thinner, more energy efficient, don't have glare, can work at any altitude, have awesome viewing angles etc etc. but tend to not have as good of color as Plasma and on lower res video signals look a little more distorted.

plasmas have great color and viewing angle, good brightness, and come in big sizes. 42" is about where they LCD's and Plasma's intersect in price with larger LCD's being more money than larger Plasma's. If you have a room with windows or is a generally bright room, LCD is probably the way to go. LG makes a nice mid-level LCD and plasma while the higher end LCD's from Sony (kdl40xbr2) and Samsung (lns4095w) are super bitchen but get up over 3g's pretty quick.

ED tv's are only capable of 480p resolution--so the max resolution of DVD. HD programming is 720p/1080i and will eventually be 1080P (P is better than I--thats all you need to worry about ). Blue Ray disk players and the Sony PS3 are capable of 1080P resolution, so if you think you are going to be stepping up to a newer technology game system or video player you may want to consider stepping up to, at the very least, an HD TV or even bettter a tv that is a full 1080P resolution.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Shar...61576/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

This is the cheapest 1080 P LCD and it's as 42". I just got the 46" one up and it's a great looking TV, although the color isn't nearly as nice as the Sony stuff that is 30% more $$$. Still a really nice tv for 2000 and if you buy the PS3 it'll look uber bitchen.

If you're not worried about HD programming and just want a big flat panel to put on a wall or something try this

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...47581/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

anyways, hope that helps.

Just don't buy a DLP. The bulbs are $300, but more importantly, the gun costs as much as a new TV... and by the looks of things, you'll only get to replace a bulb or maybe two before the gun goes bad.

They look awesome, but they don't hold up.

and will eventually be 1080P (P is better than I--thats all you need to worry about ).

Broadcast signals -- over the air, satellite, or cable, will likely never be 1080P. If it happens, it'll be 30 years from now. There's simply not enough bandwidth to support it. Your cable and satellite providers are already compressing HD signals by 67% so they can fit more channels into the available space. It's highly unlikely that they would drop half of their channels so they could carry the remainder in 1080P. The biggest gain with a 1080P LCD is that it'll do 1080i signals at native resolution.

i'm no expert on any of this, but fwiw my parents just replaced a 36" tube with a 42" plasma. the difference is night and day. they got it on special for ~900 bucks i think.

Plasma is dead technology and are already being phased out now that LCD technology will allow 40"+ sizes with fast response times. They will continue to drop in price because they cant be repaired and their life isnt half of what newest LCDs are. .

Where is this info coming from?

Broadcast signals -- over the air, satellite, or cable, will likely never be 1080P. If it happens, it'll be 30 years from now. There's simply not enough bandwidth to support it. Your cable and satellite providers are already compressing HD signals by 67% so they can fit more channels into the available space. It's highly unlikely that they would drop half of their channels so they could carry the remainder in 1080P. The biggest gain with a 1080P LCD is that it'll do 1080i signals at native resolution.

I'm not even gonna pretend I understand it all...

but don't be so sure it would be 30 years down the road...it all depends on the technology used...

BellSouth will soon (even sooner once the AT&T takeover is complete) be rolling out IPTV...but instead of providing all the channels to your home like cable and you switching at the cable box, they'll only be sending you the one you want...and the switching will take place in the office...

four TV's in the house...all with Picture-in-Picture...and we still only have to send 8 channels to you simultaneously...

Greg

You guys have been more than helpful, I knew I would get honest opinions. Thanks cant wait til after x-mas sales begin...

but don't be so sure it would be 30 years down the road...it all depends on the technology used...

It's not an issue of *having* the technology, it's one of competing technologies, and determining some sort of standard that an industry can agree to move forward on. The loudest voices, after all, aren't those of the ISPs or hardware providers or even the cable companies... it's the major networks and their affiliates.

Figure it's taken 30 years to move from SD to HD. 1080p60 isn't part of the "HD" standard, so new negotiations, testing, licensing of technologies, codecs, etc would have to take place before any sort of broadcast standard would be determined.

Production work is increasingly done in 1080p. For film-based content that's encoded as 1080i for storage or transmission, it's pretty simple to recombine the interlaced image and create 1080p from the source (it's called 3:2 pulldown reversal, referring to undoing the process by which 24fps film souce is converted to 30fps NTSC broadcast standard signals). That's really where the 1080p LCD screens start to shine, since they'll display 1080i and film-source 1080p signals at their native resolutions.

Back