Lawn and Landscape

On a side note about the sprayer I bought the 21.5 gallon model and found out it runs out way quicker than I thought... I do have a large area I'm spraying and should of sprung for a larger unit. The 2.2 gal a min pump puts it down lol. I don't think I'll ever strap my backpack sprayer on again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Soooooooo..... What are you doing with the back pack sprayer? Lol

Lol I've been thinking about buying a small pull behind sprayer for putting down weed killer. I have a sprayer now, im just getting lazier as I age.

We recently just bought a house then was stripped to the base and rebuilt. In the process destroyed the lawn that the neighbors tell me was nonexistent anyway. Back in Oct they tilled, put down new soil and seeded. Cause of the warm Dec it grew in pretty well but they also put down straw which also took and prevented the grass from growing. In January when we closed I did some research to figure out where to start. Did the lime, gypsum etc. Beginning of March I raked up all the straw that was left and the grass has grown in decent since. My one issue is on the side of the house it gets soaked during the rain. Our driveway slopes down into our house so all that water gets pushed on the side as well as the gutters exit there from the front. I'm planned on doing a french drain but any ideas for drainage from the driveway? Or instead of growing grass there, since it's a high traffic area to get to backyard what else could I put there to help runoff? I was thinking maybe to dig up half foot of area where the lawn driveway meets, then digging down another half foot or so and put in some rock so the water goes under and drains naturally but not sure that'll work. Our soil is mostly clay that doesn't hold water anyway so it's an uphill battle for sure. The rest of the lawn is ok, it has its thin spots but I'll address them in the fall with aeration and over seeding.

View attachment 215188
View attachment 215189

The other thing I do plan on building a garage at some point but that may a yr or two. This area water stands and also drains the backyard which creates spots where grass won't go either. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Saw this and thought you might wanna see it....

How to Install a Channel Drain

Awesome video, seems pretty simple. Is there a specified length of pipe you want to use based on the amount of water itll be seeing?

Awesome video, seems pretty simple. Is there a specified length of pipe you want to use based on the amount of water itll be seeing?

The pipe goes to daylight. Length will end up as whatever it needs to be in order to get to daylight. Pitch it away from the house at 1/8" per ft and aim for a natural swale/ditch/etc that will keep the water from running back toward the house.

Did you mean diameter? Most channel drains have a 4" output, no sense in going larger than that...

The only issue with going to a ditch is the only one is out front which is uphill. I was told the best way of going to the backyard and letting it drain underground naturally?? Since there's really no way to get it to daylight other than uphill

It's several hundred (or possibly a couple thousand) gallons of water. It can't just go in the pipe. If you live in a bowl and the driveway is the absolute lowest point on the property, you could excavate and put in a cistern. But you'll have to calculate the catchment area in SF and multiply by 1/3 ft deep to get the total cubic feet of water, then size the cistern accordingly.

If you look at my lot as a square, it's pitched so the corner of that square that's on the side of the driveway is the highest point and the opposite corner is the lowest. I guess is could go to the opposite corner to daylight but I'd imagine that'd flow into the neighbors lot.

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160503_1b38740a3777ccf07a8407c37e5a41f2.jpg

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160503_f8934a5916999a088d537a225517d1a1.jpg

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160503_c86c7cf79c43a1790530a934bff996a0.jpg

The Jeep is in the way but that's the corner that's highest going to the corner that's the lowest. If I did a pipe to daylight over in that corner I'd suspect it'd cause issue for that neighbor. Unless I could do some type of landscape or something to help with the water.

I need to cut a few larger tree limbs off. Is there any specific time of the year to do it? Any proper way besides just taking a saw to it? I don't want to kill the tree, just get the limbs out of the was so I don't have to mow that area of the lawn on my knees.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I need to cut a few larger tree limbs off. Is there any specific time of the year to do it? Any proper way besides just taking a saw to it? I don't want to kill the tree, just get the limbs out of the was so I don't have to mow that area of the lawn on my knees.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
image.jpeg

What do you guys think about Bermuda grass? I'm looking something for my backyard that will handle foot traffic and be nice looking. I have some Bermuda there already that is doing excellent over the septic field. Was thinking about seeding the rest of the backyard with it.

Any specific time of year to do this or can I just go right to it now?

If it's a big branch or a big tree and it's only one or two branches you can do it pretty much anytime. I'm sure others might say different but I've trimmed a few branches with no ill effects.

Smaller young trees and shrubs are what you mostly have to worry about what time of the year.

What do you guys think about Bermuda grass?

Do you live out in the country? Have acreage?

If you live in a neighborhood....have less than an acre...or your back yard backs up to another yard, your neighbors will likely hate you.

Bermuda grass is similar to bamboo in that it spreads like wildfire. A neighbor across the street and up 4 houses just seeded his lawn with it, and the old fart that mows his yard every other day between seeding, watering and fertilizing, came completely unGLUED about it.

"He's going to mow his yard, and clippings will get in the street and blow across the road, then it will be over HERE and I'll NEVER get rid of it"

I personally do not care...but he's the type who's yard means everything to him now that he's retired

Do you live out in the country? Have acreage?

If you live in a neighborhood....have less than an acre...or your back yard backs up to another yard, your neighbors will likely hate you.

Bermuda grass is similar to bamboo in that it spreads like wildfire. A neighbor across the street and up 4 houses just seeded his lawn with it, and the old fart that mows his yard every other day between seeding, watering and fertilizing, came completely unGLUED about it.

"He's going to mow his yard, and clippings will get in the street and blow across the road, then it will be over HERE and I'll NEVER get rid of it"

I personally do not care...but he's the type who's yard means everything to him now that he's retired

My yard is 1.5 acres. Cut out of a 80 acre family farm. The only thing I have read is that it is hard to kill unless you round up the whole yard. I need something hardy, I have a 18mo old boy and his playground is back there and we have a lot of foot traffic.

What do you guys think about Bermuda grass? I'm looking something for my backyard that will handle foot traffic and be nice looking. I have some Bermuda there already that is doing excellent over the septic field. Was thinking about seeding the rest of the backyard with it.

I don't care for the warm season grasses like Bermuda or Zoysia. I don't like the way it looks when it goes dormant in the cool weather. I prefer the tall fescue even though it requires over seeding every fall.

My yard is 1.5 acres. Cut out of a 80 acre family farm. The only thing I have read is that it is hard to kill unless you round up the whole yard. I need something hardy, I have a 18mo old boy and his playground is back there and we have a lot of foot traffic.

Aside from looking like you burned it in the winter months...I can't think of a better scenario to use Bermuda

I don't care for the warm season grasses like Bermuda or Zoysia. I don't like the way it looks when it goes dormant in the cool weather. I prefer the tall fescue even though it requires over seeding every fall.

This ^^^^ x2 ! The previous owner of our house had a small patch of Bermuda they had planted. I've tilled it and raked it out twice. Crap still comes back. I would kill it with glyphosate but its directly under a large oak that I'm trying to keep healthy.

Back