Last Minute, Sawyer (Chainsaw) Certifications

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I had 2 people from our group lined up for this, but they fell through. And I don't know who all else on here is up for this.

- Must be able to attend most work days
- Have to be chainsaw literate so to speak
- Must have safety equipment

The Forest Service will provide some equipment like the chaps, and a hard hat if need be. But you really need to provide most of the safety equipment. We haven't encountered a downed tree on a work day YET, so we haven't needed anyone to be Sawyer certified. But it is something we need to get 2 people in our group certified in. I would involve myself, but to be honest I have used a chainsaw maybe once? Just never had the use for one. So if all else falls through I will go and get certified, but I wanted to get this out there for the more qualified people. Here is the email from Terry Savery:

Hi Everyone - I wanted you all to pass on the chainsaw training rosters to the folks from your clubs that signed up so they remember when to come. One additional note, please let tell your chainsaw folks to let Rodney & I know if they will be available the weekend of March 26th to help clear the trails before they open up on April 1st. Thanks.

Here's the information for what you should bring if you have it. If you don't have a chainsaw that meets the requirements that's ok we'll have extra stuff there. Also, the focus of the training will be bucking and limbing of trees so that you can help us with clearing the trails. Thanks a lot everyone for your willingness to volunteer and for making yourselves available for the training. Be safe!

Please bring the following items: appropriate clothes for the weather, leather gloves, your chainsaws if you have them (we'll have some there too) and they must have chain brakes & chain catches,
eye and ear protection, and long sleeves and if you have a hard hat please bring it (if you don't have a hard hat let us know so we can bring enough). We'll supply the chaps because we have specific ones
that need to be worn. Also, bring lunch and water for both days. Meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am and Rodney will get you started. You won't be going on the trails for the training so you don't need to bring a 4WD vehicle.

Here's the rosters.

January 28 - 29 - We have 2 slots available still if anyone wants to fill them let Rodney & me know by next Wednesday, the 26th.

The big thing here is you really have to show up to most (if not close to all the work days) for this to be effective. Because you never know when we will encounter a downed tree. This takes a lot of time/dedication I know. But considering we can only get 2 people certified, we need those 2 people to be at the work days more times than not. Because the only other time we need the sawyer certified people is when dealing with hazard trees, and that is planned ahead of time for certain work days.

Like the e-mail says I need to know by this up coming Wednesday morning if you can attend the Feb 28/29th class. This is a big responsibility and anyone that steps up for this its greatly appreciated.

Back