LARGE bumper pulls...

RufusTheRam

i plan on finally purchasing a trailer sometime over the winter. due to the slide out bed tray/bed cap setup my truck has, a goose is out of the question.

i would love to get a long bumper pull (32-40ft.) as i have in the past and will in the future have the need to tow more than one vehicle, or one vehicle+a bunch of other junk.

my reservation is the safety of this with a stock frame mounted hitch. is it going to be up to the task of safely pulling the total package of ~15k+lbs. at times? if not, what are my options (if any) of upgrading the hitch to safely accomplish such tows with a tag? i'm assuming toungue weight might be an issue also. iirc, most factory hitch ratings aren't close to the loads a big tag could impose.

There are a couple folks in the "tow rigs and trailers" section of Pirate that tow 2-car bumper pulls. They either added airbags or use a weight distributing hitch.

I think for that kind of weight, the stock ClassIII *might* do the job... but if you have "issues", DMV/insurance company will crucify you! I have a bud that had a triple axle 36' bumper pull that used the OEM Dodge ClassIII on his 1 ton CTD without any issues. What got spooky was the 4' "extension" he put on it to clear the @#$%^& HUGE camper in the back of the truck!

I bought a ClassV Putnam locally for less than I could find a ClassIII anywhere. ClassV... Overkill for my 16' (2200#) and Jeep (4000#ish)? yeah... probably, but a lot cheaper than an accident...

awesome, thanks for the links guys. looks like that's the way i need to go. a couple hundred bucks is nothing for the peace of mind it'll provide.

Back